Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954306 times)
Jester Libertas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7740 on: August 16, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »

Hello, everyone! I'm Jester Libertas, or just Jester if you're in a hurry. You'll probably notice a post somewhere above here from AJARTCGA, a friend of mine. I'm working with him on a Medieval Fantasy game at the moment, and I look forward to supporting the makers of independently developed games everywhere!

My biggest inspiration in gaming is probably The Legend of Zelda, which won me over with its sweeping, epic storyline. As a result, when I work on a project, the storyline and big picture tend to be where my focus ends up fixed.

I'm a terrible artist (even worse than AJARTCGA  Cheesy ), and I don't know much about coding, but I'm always willing to learn something new. My most significant contributions to past projects have been writing stories, brainstorming, writing dialogue, and designing mythologies and legends! I love me some good stories.  Wink
Nexima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7741 on: August 16, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »

sorry i cant find where to introduce myself. Smiley

I'm new to programming and posting on this forum too..
sorry i dont know how to make a runnable file yet.
I been self teaching myself JAVA as a hobbie in my spare time from various books and online.
I'm inspired by old BBS ANSI text MUD games and hope to make one one day with pixel graphics display options for those who dont want just text. Id like for it to be randomly generated rather then the old style of MUDS from BBSs' that had a set layout for each server. I dont want to talk about it to much just yet but since i'm new I dont have any friends really who know about java or anything and i am not able to goto school,

I was wondering if anyone wanted to look at my code so far for what i made.

So far the code creates a room randomly and assigns different properties to it which eventually create a type. for instance 2 soil and 5 nature makes a small garden. ect. it also randomly adds some items to the room and another being. a few objects ect. anyways, i havent made it so you can move yet but i did make some spells you can cast... that each turn you either get poisoned or burned and a few other spells. i also made a bunch of help commands to learn a bit more about the game.

Right now the game is turn based, but id liek to learn about threads soon so it can be real time world with a day and night cycle. but i dont know how to do that yet.. Smiley

I tried to copy the code below but it wont let me because it exceeds the allowed characters for this post...

SO i made a link to a blog that has the code on it. if u wanna copy and paste it into your compiler Smiley

http://gridoflight.blogspot.ca/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:19:35 PM by Nexima » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: August 16, 2014, 06:38:45 PM »

Well I didn't really go over your code in depth but you have this crazy long if/else command check function. As much as I hate to recommend reading up on design patterns you might consider doing so. The whole if/else chain makes debugging and extensibility a bit of a burden. If your plan was to have a small scope you dont plan to extend then maybe it's ok.

Off the top of my head I'd consider doing a map of <command,delegates> or something in that vein so that building upon your game isn't such a pain. Java doesn't have delegates but I've heard the new version has lamdas. Not sure how they are implemented though, if they can be treated as a data type then it should be ok.

doogog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: August 16, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »

Hiya, I'm Le Ha Nguyen. I'm a programmer that started out making custom maps in Starcraft. I've been making Flash games since 2004. I've built and published more than 10 Flash games during the years. In 2011, I co-founded Playsaurus, and have launched 2 titles with the company so far.

Our first major title was Cloudstone, which was a action RPG ( like Diablo ). We still maintain it and do updates when we can. Currently, we're developing smaller games for web and mobile using Flash Air and the large library of art assets that was created for Cloudstone.

Looking forward to contributing and having a good stay here! Thanks for reading.

Nexima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7744 on: August 16, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »

Well I didn't really go over your code in depth but you have this crazy long if/else command check function. As much as I hate to recommend reading up on design patterns you might consider doing so. The whole if/else chain makes debugging and extensibility a bit of a burden. If your plan was to have a small scope you dont plan to extend then maybe it's ok.

Off the top of my head I'd consider doing a map of <command,delegates> or something in that vein so that building upon your game isn't such a pain. Java doesn't have delegates but I've heard the new version has lamdas. Not sure how they are implemented though, if they can be treated as a data type then it should be ok.
i just started learning, so i dont even know what that means, but i hope to learn and i feel already pointed in the right direction. Smiley i'm having fun, i dont know what i plan to do really. i have an idea in my head, and hopefully i can learn to do it..

Nexima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7745 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »

with what i have, i'm considering going to a code school and seeing what they say and taking programming more serious. i want to be sure i'm able to understand how to make complex games and interactive media.

fallende
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7746 on: August 17, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »

Hi, my name is Andrew Trese.  My brother and I make mobile games (and now PC and Mac).

I am a developer by trdae, but as were tiny and broke when we started (four years ago), I picked up a Wacom and started to learn how to draw.  This leads our first couple of games to be really low-fi art, and our recent streak of games to be clearly an evolution toward something better.  It's been a fun four years and I've learned a lot and am prouder by the day of what we are producing.  

Considering my role, I'm always looking to learn from other people.  Our biggest struggle now is marketing and getting the word out, which competes with the time to make new games.

Can be found at http://twitter.com/TreseBrothers

Trese Brothers Games || Complex strategy and RPG games on Android, iOS and desktop  || http://www.tresebrothers.com
Kappawumpus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7747 on: August 17, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »

Hi every one , my name is Nathaniel Oliveira , I tend to go by Nathan O. and sonicrumpets is my usual internet handle (not a big fan of the blue hedgehog but crumpets are very tasty)

I'm sort of new to independent games. I’ve been making games and analog games ever since high school but fell into the trap of never releasing anything publicly till around 2010 when I released a small point and click adventure game called Professor Neely And The Deathray Of Doom. It was a fun little day of the tentacle tribute project I had made in AGS.  I wasn’t sure how much I wanted to do games after that and tried some other things all the while improving my art skills, but I kept coming back to games and this time I’m staying with games. I enjoy making them.

I really got into gaming when I was about six when my optometrist told my mom that I had weak hand eye coordination (that's why I never got into any sports) besides a bunch of eye exercises that I never liked one of the things the optometrist told her to try was video games. A day later I had my very own SNES and super Mario world. I started drawing more. I began to draw out my own game levels and my own characters. Then came the game boy pocket, the game gear, and the N64, the game cube, PC gaming etc. . I still have my SNES and I don't think I could ever sell it no more than  someone could sell their childhood teddy.

Influences:
Well the Lucas arts scumm catalog is a big one, and I really enjoy the Donkey Kong country series and banjo kazooie, Mario, world of Warcraft, half life, portal, Yoshi's island , the zelda series, grim fandango or anything Tim works on really, the Sims, fable, roller coaster tycoon,  the list goes on.

Other stuff that has gotten into my brains:
Art, Animation, Film, Table top games, random oddities, Robots,Zombies, Monty Python, Disneyland, D&D, Pathfinder, Inside jokes, Folk tales, Victorian architecture, matte paintings, Pirates,H.P. Lovecraft, Special FX,game design, Sculpting, Graphic design, Illustration.

Everything said I’m really exited to be part of this community and can't wait to get some games out there because the best part of being an artist and making something is seeing how others enjoy it.
undef
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7748 on: August 17, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »

Hi!

I'm undef, yet another indie game developer.

I've started playing games on the gameboy, but the first time I started playing console games was on the Nintendo 64.
Have you seen that "NINTENDO 64!!!" video on youtube? It wasn't very different when my brothers and I got that console for christmas.
Soon after Super Mario 64 first gave me blisters on my thumb I discovered Ocarina Of Time.
My brothers and I found it in a video rental place (haha, people used to rent videos), and we urged our parents to rent it almost every time we've been there, and a lot of the times they did.
At one point they just bought the module off the rental place, because we already had our savegame on that one and were scared that someone could delete it.
Btw, we didn't defeat Gohma in our first playthrough because there was already a savegame which we just used.
It was a wonderful game, and we took quite our time to finish it. A lot of times we would just do some cliff jumping after bullying the chicken in gerudo valley... good times Smiley

And yeah, I never really stopped gaming ever since.
I never made games though... I played around with RPG maker 2k but never finished anything.
I always figured programming was something that's just too hard and too cumbersome...
Well, it turned out that it isn't.

Of course coding is a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun (especially with Lua and LÖVE if you ask me).
So right now I've been working on my first game for the last year and a couple of months - including learning to code and getting sidetracked, and it looks like it will be finished this year.

I really love doing this, and I hope I can make games for many years to come.

undef

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7749 on: August 17, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »

Greetings,

So happy to find such a great resource; I've already discovered so many unique and interesting projects through these forums that I felt it was time to start contributing to the community. My name is Kyle Preston.

I am a video game music composer; I've worked as the sound designer and score composer for two mobile games, one of which will be released very soon. My job was to write and create Chiptune 8-bit style music and effects, which I very-much enjoy, but my real passion is working on ambient/textural/cinematic music.

Favorite game is probably 'Limbo', or maybe 'Shadowgate' for NES. I love being inspired by great games and I really love the work involved in writing music for them.  When I have a great project to work on, my face looks like this:

Really looking forward to contributing to the community. Cheers!
 Well, hello there!

shader_cat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: August 18, 2014, 02:18:46 AM »

Hi,

i am Alex. I am working as a java-programmer and make indie games in my freetime. I have recently finished my first shmup game "steam and metal". It was 3 long years but now it's done. Now i am finishing a very small "inbetween" project (visual novel) and considering to make a next real game, probably a metroidvania (inspired by aquaria, first metroidvania i have actually ever played  Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story). Pobably wit furrys, azaza  Tiger Panda

May be it sounds arrogant, but i found my coding skills absolutly enought to make games. So i am taking a drawing lessons now, because art for game is at least equally important then code odre game design. And because drawing is really fun  Wink
iambored
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: August 18, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »

Hello!
I am iambored, and here are 4 reasons you won't ever get bored when I'm around-
  • I've been playing games since I was 4 years old, and I play all kinds of stuff! From miniature game-jam games to classics from before I was even born.
  • I like talking about games! I like discussing game design, programming (I'm a programmer), and most of all, the potential of video games as a form of self expression.
  • I make interesting games (or so I've been told). Just take a look at my LD page, and stay tuned for my next big game, coming soon!
  • I haven't even entered the third decade of my life yet, so you just know I'm hopelessly optimistic about games and their part in my financial future!

I'll see you guys around!

achebit
Level 1

Pixelartist - Chiptunist - Codist

View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »

Hi All!

My name is Christopher and i make retro games inspired from my childhood.

My website and links to all my stuff are here:
www.christopheryabsley.com

I run a Pixel Art Tutorial channel here:
www.youtube.com/channel/achebit

Feel free to hit me up on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/achebit

Keep it retro!

I make games more retro than ya mums prom night dress.

Twitter @achebit
Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7753 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:11 AM »

Greetings fine netizens of TIG Forums! Cheesy My name is Grant Taylor. I grew up on a Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was my first game! I've been playing them ever since, and I'm currently am looking forward to Evolve and the Gauntlet reboot!

I work for a living as a graphic designer and have added marketing to my arsenal of talents over the last couple of years. Coffee I'm currently helping out on the indie dev team, Grenade Tree Games, I actually work with Juan who introduced himself earlier on this thread! I work primarily as their social media manager but I also throw in my two cents for some our game's development.

What makes or breaks a game for me often boils down to the story. A game with a narrative is much more likely to grab and hold my attention than any other out there. For that reason, my favorite game has got to be a toss up between Final Fantasy VI and Majora's Mask.

Looking forward to hanging out and talking games with y'all! Toast Right

Jin_K
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: August 19, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »

Hello everyone! I'm Jeremie, a french based game developer/graphic designer/composer (well I do games...).

I develop games for mobile IOS and Android, before that I was freelance and also made flash games.

I've been reading this forum for a while, I love the community here.

You'll see me talking about my new releases here somtimes, hope you like it retro.
My goal is to create bigger game, not focusing on mobile but I need security first so I make it small so far.
0nix
TIGBaby

0nix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7755 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »

Hello everyone, my name is Onix. I'm a Mexican expatriate currently living in South Texas. I dabble in game dev from time to time.

A wild Onix appeared!
Zanenga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7756 on: August 19, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »

Well, hello!  Gentleman
My name is Lucas Zanenga. I'm a indie dev trying to make some nice games.

My first console was an SNES and the first game I ever completed was Megaman X. I remember the struggle to fight Sigma to this day. Not only because he was a hard boss (and that damn dog too), but also because I didn't understant the concept of energy tanks back then. That made the fight almost impossible for me at the time, making me almost quit gaming. But I endured. And once I beated him, I was too much in love with gaming to ever quit.

Other SNES favorites would include TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Disney's Magical Quest 3 and Donkey Kong Country.

I also have very strong nostalgia towards Marvel vs Capcom and Metal Slug. For years, when my family went to the beach during summer, all I wanted to do was play Marvel at the local arcade all day. Good times.

Now I realize how much of my taste for games comes from those early experiences. I love dashes and tight controls, like Megaman X. And I love good combat and fast action, like Marvel vs Capcom.

Some of my favorite games today would include: Kingdom Hearts, Super Smash Bros. and Demon's Souls.

I look forward to hang out, check out your work and show some of mine as well!
Hope we all can have a good time together! Cheers!  Beer!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:33:51 PM by Zanenga » Logged

Hey! I'm a game designer/programmer/writer, and I like to make games. Smiley

@LucasZanenga Facebook
RandomSeed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7757 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:26 AM »

Hello everyone! My name is Leonardo Solaas, and I'm a designer, developer and new-media artist from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Some time ago I had the strange idea of developing mobile games - it seemed like a great challenge where all my various interests could blend together. So I formed a one-person studio, RandomSeed, and a few days ago released my first game for iOS, Android and the browser. It is called DRIFT, the puzzle that doesn't stand still.

You can find more about me at my website and my Flickr account.

Nice to meet you, and see you around!

Adam_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7758 on: August 21, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm Adam and I'm probably not quite an indie. I mean, there's a lot of programming and projects, and working frantically on stuff I'm passionate about, but I haven't actually worked on a real game for a long time - which is unfortunate, but certainly subject to change at some point in the future. Smiley

Right now, I'm studying for my master degree in computer science, working one job on a research project and another one in game development, and then there is real life, hobbies and a bigger spare time project as well. I like books, cats, science and philosophy - and creating stuff. Can't really keep my hands resting for a longer while.

Oh, and games are great, too - both digital and physical. In the physical realm, you'll find me enjoying complicated board games and card games that are way too expensive. There is also a good chance to catch me looking really confused while trying to manage pen and paper with much more experienced players. As for digital games, I usually prefer the awesome zone where art, game and experiment overlap, or games with an engaging storyline, but of course there are always exceptions.

So.. hi all?  Coffee

st_androsik
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7759 on: August 21, 2014, 06:38:28 AM »

Hi, guys! My name is Stan Androsik. I'm a guy from Belarus (yep, there's such a country Shocked ), who was always interested in games and IT industry. My favorite game is still probably HL2, but of course I also like a lot of games, such as Last of Us, Dead Space, Stanley Parable, TWAU and many other great games, which I like to play on youtube mostly ))

Now I'm lucky enough to work with small team on the game Toffyto Rotato https://www.fb.com/toffytorotato. It's a very sweet looking platformer with interesting mechanics based on world rotation (which you can probably understand from the name of the game). We are already developing it for couple of month and targeting at iOS platform first, cause we really want to release it as a paid game with several free addons in the near future. On this project I'm working as a project manager, community manager, also i make level design and responsible for overall look and feel of the game, some ideas, promotion and pr (last two i didn't master yet  Shrug ). Lot of things to do actually, but its the price of being indie i guess. Toast Left Also i would like to make some art, code, animation etc, but seems like my arms aren't growing from the right place, so I'm just trying to do everything i can actually help with.

Briefly about me: i graduated from BSU in 2012 with degree in economy and management, also was learning (and still do) for myself about marketing, pr, social relationships, gamedev, design, storytelling, screenwriting and even moviemaking. I'm interesting in inventions, technologies, our big universe, also just like to read and learn new information. Tennis, bikes, swimming, billiard, volleyball are also what I'm interesting in. I'm making some photos from time to time, some of them are even not too bad to actually show it to people: http://500px.com/photo/71192267/lightning-in-4k-by-stas-androsik.
I admire very much creative people, entrepreneurs and people who want to change this world for a better. Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Lawrence Krauss, J.K. Rowling, G. Orwell, R. Bradbury, Jules Verne, Cesar Milan, Peter Jackson, James Cameron and lot of other great humans are really inspiring me.

So, very nice to meet you guys! https://twitter.com/st_androsik, https://www.facebook.com/st.androsik
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:28:09 AM by st_androsik » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic