Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:03:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMy Unity game nearing completion - best way for players to play?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Unity game nearing completion - best way for players to play?  (Read 1499 times)
Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:49 AM »

I'm posting this in the Business section because I want to know what's the most effective in building my brand (which ironically I haven't even named properly and made a logo for, yet, will do that soon)

Should I:

1.) Just use a regular website and offer direct download of the playable package
2.) Use my website but embed the Unity game (~25mb ish)
3.) Host on Kongregate and make sure the splash screen shows my website

My priority is just getting the game out there... it's quite polished but it's only prototype-level in terms of content so I honestly can't charge anything for it.  Ad revenue would be nice (Kongregate) though I'm no US Resident, and I think my game is a little deeper than the quick-reflex stuff that's popular on Kongregate (basically, Flash game design, whereas I come with more Desktop design aesthetics).

What do people think will be the best way to get my game out there?
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34:52 AM »

Something like Desura? Seems to be a nice pool for indies.

Yeah.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »

Kongregate has a 20MB file size limit, so you might have difficulty there.

A 25MB free embedded game hosted on your own site could get expensive, so be careful to do the sums before you put it up. (Beware, some sites that claim to offer unlimited bandwidth actually don't and will take your site offline without warning if you get too much traffic.)

Overall, download from somewhere is probably the easiest option.

(Of course, you'd probably get way more players if it's embedded, so the correct approach may depend on how much traffic you expect.)

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »

Release a demo on facebook and portals(Kongregate, PlaYUnityGames.com, etc) Put a link to your site to buy your game in the end of demo.
At least, that what I'm planning for Red Hood game
mude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 03:56:45 AM »

I'm posting this in the Business section because I want to know what's the most effective in building my brand (which ironically I haven't even named properly and made a logo for, yet, will do that soon)

Should I:

1.) Just use a regular website and offer direct download of the playable package
2.) Use my website but embed the Unity game (~25mb ish)
3.) Host on Kongregate and make sure the splash screen shows my website

My priority is just getting the game out there... it's quite polished but it's only prototype-level in terms of content so I honestly can't charge anything for it.  Ad revenue would be nice (Kongregate) though I'm no US Resident, and I think my game is a little deeper than the quick-reflex stuff that's popular on Kongregate (basically, Flash game design, whereas I come with more Desktop design aesthetics).

What do people think will be the best way to get my game out there?

what about kongregate+ direct download from your site?
I don't understand if you want to release it to build a "brand" for the upcoming real game or you want to sell it

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »

If can make the kongregate limit you should really put your game there. You will get at least 2-3 thousand views(and far more if people really like your game). All those views are great exposure for your upcoming brand.
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »

If can make the kongregate limit you should really put your game there. You will get at least 2-3 thousand views(and far more if people really like your game). All those views are great exposure for your upcoming brand.

Don't be so sure about those numbers.

May advice, as many places as possible.  Get a site/host/service like linode and you'll have 200gb/mo for $20/mo, setup your site, signup for adsense or something like it.  Put it on kongregate, put it as many places as will accept it. 

With the game being 20-25mb, if it does becomes viral on your site you shouldn't have trouble covering additional bandwidth cost from ad revenue.  You won't get rich from the ad revenue, but it will at least scale with your running costs.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic