Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:29:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhere to launch free?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to launch free?  (Read 715 times)
bugninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »

I'm getting closer to releasing a new game.  I wrote it in Monkey, so it currently runs on PC/Mac, Flash, HTML5, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, XBox.

At its core, it's a retro 2D platformer, but all my other games were sports games.

I'm a little out of my comfort zone when it comes to marketing a game like this, and I've done my research by looking at how a lot of other 2D platformers were released, but I'm not sure what direction to go, and was wondering if anyone here has some feedback.

I think I should launch it somewhere for free, then paid on iOS.

I also have another game of the same genre coming out later this year, so I think that having a similar game in as many hands as possible now will really benefit that game down the road.  That being said, I'm running a business, so I don't want to just give it all away for free, I would like to make SOME money off the game so I can keep doing this.

Some models I've observed.  I'm not exactly sure if this is accurate, but it's how I perceived these games and their launches:

1) Meganoid was free with a small ad on Android, now they have a paid option that includes a "skip level" function, but otherwise, you can play the whole game for free.  They later launched it on iOS as a paid app. They launched Stardash later on, and I've seen it at the top of the charts, so having that Meganoid fan base must have really helped.

2) Super Crate Box - Totally free on the PC.  Now they are topping the charts and featured on iOS.

3) Mos Speedrun - Paid version on iOS, then I saw a Lite version, and then they released a version on Desura that was a little higher priced.

4) Commander Pixman - Paid app, saw it in new and noteworthy on iOS, then I think he released a Lite version.

5) League of Evil - I just noticed there was a free way to play it (or a lot of it) in Flash for free, and then it's for sale on iOS. So, free web version, paid on mobile.

6) Canabalt - Totally free to play on the web, for sale on iOS.

At any rate, I'm not sure which way to go myself.  Does anyone have any insight when it comes to where to launch for free and where NOT to?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:41:08 PM by bugninja » Logged

Ben McGaughey of Seltice Systems LLC | Indie Game Developer<br />Popular Titles: 9 Iron Ninja, Scorched Monster, Fun-Putt Mini Golf, Touch Pool 2D<br />I'm on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/benmchttp://www.twitter.com/benmc
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic