Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 08:50:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe first Indie Fund game has been a success
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The first Indie Fund game has been a success  (Read 1518 times)
M
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »

Q.U.B.E. recouped its investment within four days of the Steam release

http://indie-fund.com/2012/01/q-u-b-e-recoups-investment/
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »

Hooray, the system works!

It gives a strong Portal vibe, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

This is great news. I like how open they are about their costs and sales - you don't see that very often.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:29:22 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »

i thought fez was the first indie fund game? i remember reading something about that. but it's good to see this one successful regardless

@teegee - english tip (since i know it's a second language to you): news is actually singular; so it should be "this is great news". i can definitely see how it'd be confusing though, since it looks like a plural word and refers to something that is plural

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »

i thought fez was the first indie fund game? i remember reading something about that. but it's good to see this one successful regardless
If I recall correctly, Polytron got a grant from Canadian government, but is in no way related to the Indie Fund. Here's the list of the games they are funding: http://indie-fund.com/games/

@teegee - english tip (since i know it's a second language to you): news is actually singular; so it should be "this is great news". i can definitely see how it'd be confusing though, since it looks like a plural word and refers to something that is plural
Thanks, I actually wrote "this is" at first, and then changed it after over-analyzing it. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Tom Grochowiak
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

If I remember correctly Fez did get funding but it got bad and then they didn't continue together (I think he talked about it in a recent Gamasutra story). Also, They said that QUBE was the first of their funded game to be released, not the first one they funded (but I don't know if it is).

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »

You're right. I've found that interview. It's pretty interesting: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6567/the_making_of_fez_the_breaking_of_.php?page=2

Tom Grochowiak
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

@teegee - English tip (since i
right?

You're right. I've found that interview. It's pretty interesting: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6567/the_making_of_fez_the_breaking_of_.php?page=2
thanks for the link Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »

@andy - that's sort of besides the point; i *know* that the e should be capitalized in english, whereas teegee didn't know which one of the two was right. a mistake isn't a mistake if it's intentional. besides, in the past on IM he has asked me to point out english mistakes he makes, so i was just doing what he asked

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »

Hehe, you misunderstood me. No offence was intended, just ensuring myself because English isn't my native language too and I wasn't sure about it when you've written it like this.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »

@andy

This, however, is a mistake. His nick is ANtY  Giggle.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:16:41 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »

@andy

That, however, is a mistake. His nick is ANtGiggle.
classic Eres' prank

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »

I've always thought that Indie Game Fund was a good and viable approach to funding. It's good to hear that a release has paid back the contribution.

On a side note, and maybe this is old news, IGFund is no longer accepting direct applications for funding. It doesn't really say how to get funding now, other than "get press". That's actually pretty disappointing to me: http://indie-fund.com/apply/

Obviously they're the ones with the capital and are taking the risk, so they have to do what they have to do, but I'd be really curious to hear the reasoning for this.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »

we discussed that in the igf thread. matthew said that it was taking up too much time to manually evaluate applications, so now it's an invite-only thing where they'll find you, you don't find them

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »

we discussed that in the igf thread. matthew said that it was taking up too much time to manually evaluate applications, so now it's an invite-only thing where they'll find you, you don't find them

Yeah, I'm catching back up on that thread now. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Guess it was mentioned earlier in the thread; looking for the discussion on it.

Edit 2: If others are looking for the same discussion/info: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22256.msg673169#msg673169
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:26:12 PM by randomshade » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic