Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 07:02:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)xerus thread. 2009
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: xerus thread. 2009  (Read 26642 times)
Corpus
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »

Well uhh if you're going to start looking for a reason behind every placed block then I really don't have an answer to that.

Yeah, I didn't really express myself very well. Sorry about that. I've said plenty about it in the IRC now, though, so maybe you kinda get what I meant now.
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2008, 06:13:12 PM »

I tried going for a darker color for tiles that aren't on the collision layer.  I think this improves readability (or not?)  Let me know!

Not entirely..  You've got a brighter layer behind the darker one, which doesn't work at all.  It just makes it look more busy, if anything.  What you should be aiming for here is called "atmospheric perspective".  In a nutshell, things further back get less contrast, less saturation, and hue shift towards the athosphere colour.  Usually blue, but anything should work as long as it's consistent.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »

Not entirely..  You've got a brighter layer behind the darker one, which doesn't work at all.  It just makes it look more busy, if anything.  What you should be aiming for here is called "atmospheric perspective".  In a nutshell, things further back get less contrast, less saturation, and hue shift towards the athosphere colour.  Usually blue, but anything should work as long as it's consistent.

beat me to the punch.  listen to this man.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »

Well yeah, I know of atmospheric perspective, and that's what all the original mock ups were based off of.  But the issue came up that the palette of the marble tiles just weren't affected enough by it to "drop" out of the collision layer.  It worked really well on the rocks because they're brown, so adding just a little blue light to them makes them drop out considerably faster than objects that already have blue in them.

Anyway, I'm going to give it another go going back to the fading out with light on the backdrop tiles.  Also I think I'm going to ditch putting tiles in the brown space under the rocks.  A lot of people seemed to be in favor of it, but as soon as I did it all of a sudden it looks too Cave Story / The Underside for people... I'm trying to please as many people as I can with the style of the game early on here, so I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten thus far.  Thank you everyone! Grin

Back to this then:

See what I mean?  There are some problem areas with this treatment of background tiles, just look at the group of blocks that are sitting just to the right of player.  Can you tell which are collidable and which aren't?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:22:24 PM by xerus » Logged
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »

The background tiles are lighter, yes, but you've got more saturation in them.  The saturation should decrease with distance.

Here are some quick color edits from one of the screens:

I decreased the saturation (maybe a bit too much), increased the brightness (they are still darker than the foreground, though), and reduced the brightness gap between shades.

I hope this helps any.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2008, 11:28:47 PM »

Ahh I have done more experimenting based off of your edits.

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »

Gotta say thats a nice improvement. The readability is far better now, although i wouldn't have guessed the block the character is standing on was a foreground object. It needs to be a little bolder imo.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »

Geh fuck try this.  Quick change.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »

Much better, I think.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2008, 11:53:52 PM »

another to try

Its just killing me trying to lower the saturation.  I mean look at the colors for the marble and pillars and shit already, theyr'e almost close to 0 saturation.  THEY CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE OF THIS CAPTAIN.

I'm pretty exhausted right now and have no idea if I'm even posting the right version OHWELL YAHOOOOO
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »

What? No. That's a step back. << Ignore.
I don't think it's the saturation that's causing reading issues, but the contrast. Try doing away with one of the extremes - highlights or shadows - or at least bringing them closer to the midtone - and see how it turns out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:19:54 AM by Xion » Logged

diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »

I think the background looks fine now, in comparison to the previous shots. However, the dirt looks a bit too unsaturated/uncontrasted, maybe increase the saturation/contrast on the foreground layer to really make it pop up? In comparison with the guy in the scarf, it looks kind of... Bland.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »

Took a break from pixels for THIS.

The main character on the right and some sort of arch nemesis rival character on the left.  Woo.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »

quite nice

is the one on the left a boy or a girl?

and will this whole thing be set in the "forest with inexplicable greek pillars" area?

Renton
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2008, 11:14:30 AM »

I have to say this.
It looks like 90 degrees out there. Why the furry thick jacket and scarf? He also looks like he's of African or Latin American descent. He should be used to the warm climate. Isn't he burning in that outfit?
Corpus
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »

Clearly you haven't visited England, Canada, etc. Trees + blue sky can go hand in hand with freeze-your-balls-off icy winds.
Renton
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »

I live in a city where winters are gray and summers are yellow. We have blue sky days, but never with this much green on trees.
Anyways. The piece looks good. The arch-nemesis kid looks like some rich/snobby bastard. Oughtta hit him in the mouth with a cricket bat.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:33 AM »

quite nice

is the one on the left a boy or a girl?

and will this whole thing be set in the "forest with inexplicable greek pillars" area?

It's a boy.  And the whole thing wont be set in a foresty greek pillar world, that's just the environment I pixeled out so far, so that's the one I drew.

I have to say this.
It looks like 90 degrees out there. Why the furry thick jacket and scarf? He also looks like he's of African or Latin American descent. He should be used to the warm climate. Isn't he burning in that outfit?

I like the scarf, and it's going to be sort of important to the game.  And you don't know... in that world it could  be -20 degrees out there.  Gentleman

Oh, I see Corpus has already rushed to my defense.

And yes, hes going to be a rich snobby bastard so I'm glad I accomplished that with his look :D
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »

Why do all your characters have like the same faces? T_T Perhaps play around with different facial structures?... it helps when defining the personality of a character, rather than them all looking like the same template with snubby/button noses  Beer!
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »

Yeah, I've drawn myself into a corner with most of the faces I make.  I know I have a problem drawing cutesy animus faces on everything instead of doing more interesting faces with different structures.  I'll try to force myself out of my comfort zone when I (eventually) get designing some of the other characters that may be involved in the game. ;p
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic