Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:26:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How many of you use tablets for your game art? Is it a good idea to get one?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: How many of you use tablets for your game art? Is it a good idea to get one?  (Read 11458 times)
kendoboy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:31:49 AM »

Topic.
The-Imp
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:34:33 AM »

My parent got a tablet, I don't really use it for game art, just regular art.

I have heard about people who use it for game graphics, not really pixel-artish though.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »

It is indeed. Get a small one, I have a bamboo. They're not too expensive and they work wonders for your game art. If you use tile based and very low res grafics it might not make such a big difference, but when you draw bigger stuff it's really handy. Recommend it Smiley
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:30:34 AM »

Currently I do most art by hand which I then scan in and convert to digital media. I'd love to try out a tablet, but I wouldn't say you absolutely HAVE to have one. You can get by without, but it's certainly a useful tool (and makes the process of creation and finalization much quicker). Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:53:45 AM »

A lot depends on your graphical style.

If you want more detailed graphics, a tablet is a must.

If you're using low-res pixel art, a tablet isn't strictly necessary unless you want to add some very large graphics (such as enormous bosses). I still find it useful, though. Bamboos are cheap enough that I'd recommend getting one either way.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »

i use my widdle touch pad, and for the most part (especially the pixel parts) its quite fine. but for animations or larger paintings, it gets difficult. im also intereted to hear peoples specific recommendations.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
godsavant
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »

To the tablet owners who have posted, a sorta related question: Is it difficult to adjust to using a tablet?  Undecided When I first heard about tablets, I thought they were actually mini-screens where you could see what you were doing directly on a display, a la touchpad. But now that I've realized it's just a stylus and board...isn't it kind of awkward, dragging a pen across something and having to visualize where the mark will appear?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »

it's no different than using a mouse, really.
it just feels more natural when drawing.

godsavant
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »

Oh, okay. I was using one of those hp touchscreen computers the other day, and I tried pixelling w/ MS paint. It's unusable. Apparently nobody told the developers that the human finger is not small or dexterous enough to paint accurately. I feared that tablets would be the same way.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »

tablets take a few days to fully get used to, but once you get over the very small learning curve youll never want to go back to using a mouse to paint.  I use mine for digital painting and pixel art.  I find that tablet helps me throw down ideas for characters quickly even in pixel art then i can go back in and add in the details.  I use a graphire that i got for around 200 dollars but the bamboos will only run you around 100 dollars and they work very well.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:50:05 AM »

I use one, yes.  Even for the tiniest of pixel arts.  As far as pixel art is concerned though, using a tablet is more of a habit thing than anything else, I'm just more comfortable with a stylus in my hand when I have Photoshop open.

Plus I can tap-tap-tap instead of click-click-click, and save wear and tear on my clicker finger.

To the tablet owners who have posted, a sorta related question: Is it difficult to adjust to using a tablet?

YES.  At least for me it was.  When I first touched a tablet it was like I suddenly had two left hands or something.  I hated it.  But it was for school so I was determined to get it down, and bought a little, cheap Wacom ($50 on sale at Office Depot).  Nothing fancy on it.  After a month or so of using it it finally felt comfortable.  And my photoshopping improved by like a million percent.

I still can't sketch with it though, I have to use real pencil and paper for that.  And it's not really all that handy for pixel art, like I said before it's more of a comfort thing.  I can't imagine doing computer art without one now.  I still have that same cheap little Wacom after five years and I love it.

Apparently nobody told the developers that the human finger is not small or dexterous enough to paint accurately. I feared that tablets would be the same way.

Oh, hell no.  Even my crummy (yet adorable) low-end model is accurate as fuck.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:56:42 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »

I wouldn't recommend them for pixel art. Everything else sure

Is it difficult to adjust to using a tablet?
You can try it yourself Smiley

Stick a couple mouse pads on top of each other, make them cold, and draw in the middle while looking at the screen. Takes a bit of getting used to but all depends on how you usually draw

I thought they were actually mini-screens where you could see what you were doing directly on a display, a la touchpad
They have those too. More expensive. Top of the line is the wacom cintiqs I think, but I use a tablet pc just fine. No pressure sensitivity with those tho

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »

I adjusted to using a tablet pretty fast. Unfortunately, I can only use it in school, however. Sad

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »

Cool
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »

I wouldn't recommend them for pixel art. Everything else sure
I think that's a bit of a matter of preference - I think Inane uses a tablet for both pixel and digital art, and I use it for pixel art too, in the earlier stages. Even then, it speeds up the process exponentially, and for any pixel scenes, backgrounds, or sprites of considerable size (relative to pixel art) I absolutely need it. I don't get how I did anything before I got a tablet.

Microwave
BANNED
Level 0

i'll stir fry you in my wok

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »

Tablets are for fools.
The-Imp
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »

Tablets are for fools.
Jealous?
 Tongue

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »

Tablets are for fools.
Fool?
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »

The Bamboo tablet is fun and cheap.
Buy it.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »

for spriting I haaaaaate using a tablet. It's like saying "Let's use this hammer and chisel to write the little letters on aspirin!"  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic