Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 01:48:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How many of you use tablets for your game art? Is it a good idea to get one?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: How many of you use tablets for your game art? Is it a good idea to get one?  (Read 11460 times)
kendoboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »

Alright, I think I'm going to get the Intuos 6x11, since I have a widescreen Macbook Pro. I'll be using it for design and other things as well, so I thought I would just forget about getting an older one and get one with all the bells and whistles, like pressure sensitivity and tilt recognition.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

I'm not sure why I started using the mouse with my right, but I can't unlearn it.

This is good! I think I even remember Prof. Ryuta Kawashima in Brain Age saying that brushing your teeth with your other hand was good to stimulate the synapsblabalalal

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

I know that, I saw that, I was talking about with 3DS and such. Is that program even publically available yet (and if it were I'd imagine it's ungodly expensive.)?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »

Yeah I know you meant an ordinary tablet, just fooling around Wink

Nah, I don't think it's out yet, maybe just a few copies that are outrageously expensive. But it's so goddamn cool Shocked And in a couple of years I don't see why it wouldn't go down to a few hundred dollars, as mentioned there are already tablet screens and the rest is only software.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »

Cool

That's 3 shades of awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »

I'm not sure why I started using the mouse with my right, but I can't unlearn it.

This is good! I think I even remember Prof. Ryuta Kawashima in Brain Age saying that brushing your teeth with your other hand was good to stimulate the synapsblabalalal

At work I use the mouse with left, at home with right. Still I can't play RTS or FPS with mouse-left, but I believe the switch is a good exercise anyways.

Per aspera ad astra
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »

I've still been hesitant to jump on the tablet bandwagon. I've dabbled here and there with it, both in making pixel art and CG work, but it's something I'm not 100% with yet. Haven't really pushed it to the limit yet though.
Biggerfish
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 02:59:11 AM »

I don't really see why you'd have trouble pixelling with a tablet. I mean, I do it, and especially since my mouse is wireless and heavy, the tablet makes navigating much more pleasant, even with low-res zoomed in pixel work (I find it a lot easier).

It does take a little bit of getting used to, but now I only use my mouse for FPS games, more or less.

Even though it is a bit strange at first not being able to see where your hand is, you soon learn where the tablet is, and, since you can see the mouse on the screen, it's not very hard to know your position.
lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 03:41:59 AM »

I have found the tablet to be very hard to get used to... So far I have only made one game's graphics(for a school project) using the tablet. I am not very good with computer graphics to start with but at the end of the project I didn't really want to do any graphics with a mouse anymore.

All what was created still looked like shit though.

I tried to everything in GIMP, I believe this may have been a bad decision relative to quality of the art. I may have gotten better results if I did some preparations on paper and scanner or Blender to create some pre-existing framework of concept and the animation to work on top of with GIMP.
medieval
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 05:22:41 AM »

I want a Cintiq....
M.D.K.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »

I got a Genius Mousepen 4500.
Less than 60$ and so far It made everything I needed.
I <3 my tablet, I can't possible imagine doing pixel art or digital art without it.

It also increased my art and social skills and my @#$#$% is now 8cm bigger
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »

Car?
Penis?
Taco?
Blender?
Cat?
Appendix?
Left shoe?

Nah, don't think so, then it would have been more like:
It also increased my art and social skills and the only downside is that my left shoe is now 8cm bigger

When you go out you trip on the threshold and go "Fuck! Hell! I shouldn't have bought that goddamn tablet! Angry"

Then you go to the cobbler and he is like "So what have happened here?"
"I bought a wacom..."
"Of course. Hand over the left one please."

And....never mind...
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »

If you change 8cm to 15cm, you get "unusable deskspace"

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
krabbo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008, 06:11:48 PM »

I use a 6x11 wacom for anything 'painty'.
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »

tablet are the new black!
i love my intuos 2 6x8  i can't even think of going back to drawing with a rock in my hand ie mouuuse

Available for Freelance
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »

I suggest that everyone here with a tablet try to play an FPS with said tablet (and pen).
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

Depends on the kind of art. With any art where you need to do strokes, normal art or large sized pixel art, tablets are pretty helpful (but take a while getting used to), but with art where you work mostly with clicks like very low res pixel art or obviously vector art, its way better with a mouse.

Willows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »

I suggest that everyone here with a tablet try to play an FPS with said tablet (and pen).

Even more fun when you've got tablet in the right hand and mouse in the left. Makes it possible to shoot a single bullet in 36,000 directions at once!
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

Use my tablet for everything from pixelling and vector art to level editing (I designed a lot of my tools around tablet use). I find the mouse to be clunky, annoying and hard on the wrist and the tablet to be fast and intuitive.

Without my Intuos, I think I would die.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
godsavant
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »

Okay, another question, this time about brands. I've been hearing good things about Wacom and Intuos products, but they're way outside my price range: a 50-dollar bill; even the Bamboo Fun Mini is $60. Instead, some people have referred me to more bargain-priced tablets like those made Genius and Adesso.
However, I've read somewhere that they have extremely crappy drivers, and in the case of Genius, have been known to rape the computer internally. I guess you get what you pay for...maybe I'm just being a cheap prick,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic