Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 06:42:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Need Advice for Art Portfolio (Pictures Inside)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Advice for Art Portfolio (Pictures Inside)  (Read 2738 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »

The first half of my school year is over, and that means that college application forms are going to be due soon. I plan on submitting a portfolio for a couple merit scholarships, and am assembling all of the pieces I've made so far. Some of these I've posted before on the forums, but I figured it would be easier to see them all here in one place. Besides the pieces I've made for my AP Art class, I was considering including some photographs, as well as some of my comic pages- a complete comic would be preferable, but I'm not certain I'll have it ready in time. The forms actually aren't due until February, but I would like to turn them in as soon as possible. That being said, I'm still planning on adding to the portfolio. Which pieces stand out to you, and why? I know I need more observational pieces, but is there anything else that you all would recommend? I'd also like to know if anyone knows of any art scholarships I should look into- the more, the merrier.

Here are the pieces I have so far:

Photos coming up in the next post, as soon as they're all uploaded.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:29:21 AM by Otaku42 » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:57:52 AM »

I don't know what art scholarships look for, but I can tell you what art programs and schools look for.  They mainly look for figure drawings and gesture drawings (there is also a heavy bias against anime-style art since so many artists attempt to use that style as a crutch).  They like to know how accurately you can draw the human form and how well you can read the pose of someone in motion and get it on paper.  Your sketchbook, should they ask for it, should contain just that - sketches.  Ideas.  Not finished and rendered drawings.  You will need to be able to accept criticism - an artist that refuses to accept any criticism of their work will not improve.  You will also need to accept rejection - your first attempts may not be what they are looking for, so just get more awesome and try again next time. Wink

One thing you really want to avoid is the "hairy line" syndrome.  You shouldn't need to draw a line more than once.  A way that helps break people out of this is by drawing with a pen for a while.  When you can't erase and can't get those light lines that you can keep working over and over, you're forced to think more about getting accurate lines down the first try.

You may also want to take a figure drawing class at the local community college or art museum.  If you have those resources at your disposal, take advantage of them - usually a high school student is capable of taking community college classes while still in high school.

Microwave
BANNED
Level 0

i'll stir fry you in my wok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »

draw better
Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:48:51 AM »

I know that Producer Feeds tower!  I used to live there during high school!

My favorites are the video game newspaper monster, the blue city drawing, and subway Vishnu.  They're really alive and stylish!  I like the girl drawing and the photo of those big white things too, but I don't think they stand out as much.  It might just be me, though.  I like cartoony stuff 100 times better than realistic pictures.

I don't know anything at all about art school, I just think that Vishnu picture's cool.  Good luck with everything!
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

Definitely these two. They have a unique, strong style.

These two are not bad.

Group these four like this and you're golden.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »

ditto what Markham said.  It's very important to have a lot of strong figures in your portfolio.  If you cant find/afford any figure drawing classes, you can find open figure drawing sessions to attend or look at posemaniacs.com and use those.  Good luck though it looks like you already have some skills.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am planning on adding some figure drawing, as suggested. I'm also including The Island and my memoir comic. The memoir comic I'm hoping to finish over the break (particularly because it's for school, and thus a grade), and I'm already fairly pleased with the results. Nothing particularly fancy yet, but I'm trying to get better at my compositions and inking digitally. It's such a breeze compared to doing it by hand- God bless Ctrl+z.

That Vishnu one is actually the first of my concentration series. In my AP class, this is a set of 12 pieces with an overarching style, showing our improvement as an artist. In my case, this is going to be a series about religious figures in modern day settings, in a similar combination of watercolor and ink scribbles. If anyone has a particular deity they'd like to see, I'm all ears. I'm planning on drawing from all world religions, so practically anything is game.

Now, then, does anyone have any suggestions for scholarships?
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am planning on adding some figure drawing, as suggested.
Good. This is usually a must-have if you're not planning on applying to a very specific program.

http://www.posemaniacs.com < practice

http://www.vilppustudio.com/ < study

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Artist-Sarah-Simblet/dp/078948045X < get

I AM FREE!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 03:42:32 PM »

Good. This is usually a must-have if you're not planning on applying to a very specific program.

Oh, that's the thing. All of the schools I am applying to, I am applying for either their sequential art program or their animation program. That being said, I'm still throwing in at least one figure drawing because a) it's good to have a balance of stylized work and realistic, and b) because one of the colleges requires that I have at least 4 observational drawings. The websites you gave me are going to be quite handy- many thanks.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 04:02:55 PM »

Oh, that's the thing. All of the schools I am applying to, I am applying for either their sequential art program or their animation program. That being said, I'm still throwing in at least one figure drawing because a) it's good to have a balance of stylized work and realistic, and b) because one of the colleges requires that I have at least 4 observational drawings. The websites you gave me are going to be quite handy- many thanks.
For animation, life drawings - and especially knowledge of anatomy is crucial if you want to prove your worth. I don't know what the quality is for such programs (ask them, and/or students, for examples of their portfolios they applied with, it usually helps).
Are we talking about traditional animation á disney by the way?

Either way, draw like crazy, draw people on the bus, draw your own hands (REALLY good to do! at least 10 small sketches before drawing something else)!

I feel figure drawing with a model have been very beneficial for my growth as an artist, but also the company I keep. Try to post on forums (conceptart.org would be a good place to start, they will be of much more help when it comes to portfolios) and try to find like minded, friendly and (hopefully Tongue) skilled artists in your vicinity.

And, on more important thing: STEAL!!!  Well, hello there!
When you see something extremely badass, try to draw the elements you really like (if you really like the palette, use the same colours and make something, if you really like the way something is shaded, try to draw something like that, etc etc ad nauseam)

I AM FREE!
RichardisRaving
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »

Make your darks darker and your lights lighter on everything.

Definitely these two. They have a unique, strong style.

These two are not bad.

Group these four like this and you're golden.

listen to this man.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:21:56 PM »

@Pen: Just joined ConceptArt.org, will need to figure out how to make a gallery. Where should I post my work?

The colleges I'm hoping to attend are Savannah College of Art and Design, Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and Northern Kentucky University. Both NKU and SCAD have already accepted me, and my portfolio is all that's left for my application to MCAD. All three schools offer programs that focus on both 2-d and 3-d animation. NKU's Media Informatics (read: animation) program is fairly new, but is comprised of courses that are already established, if that makes any sense.

I've already been practicing drawing people. I already draw everywhere, but I have done a ton of quick sketches- just nothing that would be considered a finished piece.

As for stealing, I already do that, too. Recently I've read Scott McCloud's Making Comics, so that influence has already popped up in my memoir comic. I've also been playing Killer7- effing crazy/awesome game, with a gorgeous art direction. The story is fairly ludicrous, but I'm surprised how much I've already gotten (I just finished the Encounter chapter, for anyone who cares).

@Richardisraving/agj: Will do. Smiley

Now, then, here's another question: Does anyone have any suggestions for my comic art? I'll hopefully be submitting either the memoir comic or The Island as a whole work, but I'd still like to hear current impressions of either.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic