Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 04:02:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art styles that would be hard to make into videogames.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Art styles that would be hard to make into videogames.  (Read 13861 times)
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »

Some artists' styles are heavily influential in videogames. Like Giger, Escher, Seurat, and Roger Dean. Others, I think, can never influence videogames. (Perhaps I am issuing a challenge?)

Examples (do your own damn googling if you don't know the names):

- Mark Rothko

- Tom of Finland

- Yves Klein

- Dan Flavin (not all minimalists are ruled out though - Qix is just a Mondrian painting, after all)

- Andy Goldsworthy

- Jordan McKenzie

Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »

Some artists' styles are heavily influential in videogames. Like Giger, Escher, Seurat, and Roger Dean. Others, I think, can never influence videogames. (Perhaps I am issuing a challenge?)

- Mark Rothko

- Tom of Finland

- Yves Klein

- Dan Flavin (not all minimalists are ruled out though - Qix is just a Mondrian painting, after all)

- Andy Goldsworthy

- Jordan McKenzie

(I'll contribute to the discussion as soon as I get a few things off my plate! I am in favor of this topic of conversation.)

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Luilak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »

- Mark Rothko
Reminds me of a puzzle game, actually. Unless I'm absolutely interpreting the way you intend to implement art into a video game wrong.
- Tom of Finland
Um. This just might be the homosexual dating sim we've all been longing for.
- Yves Klein
I admit, I've no clue here, though I vaguely suspect it'll have something to do with blue?

Oh, I like this stuff. Perhaps another puzzle game (colors, yay!) or a cactusesque shmup (you know, the kind that makes your eyes bleed after a while)

- Andy Goldsworthy
Oh, I like him as well. Though I admit you're right here. Can't imagine this one being used in a videogame.
- Jordan McKenzie
Once again, no clue here. Interesting stuff though.

Going to add one of my favorite artists: Kandinsky My personal favorites are his compositions. What do you think about this?
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 02:03:14 AM »

I would love to do the art for a Klein styled game. But I like doing art in other people's styles just for the hell of it so what do I know?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:06:37 AM »

I think it would be possible to create an Andy Goldsworthy game. However to do it well you would probably need photorealistic graphics, which in x years time would probably not be out of the question when you are modelling relatively simple objects.

What I would do then is give the game a low framerate and flickery filter, so it looks like time-lapse photography. You could even implement a very fast day/night cycle that goes around once every 10 seconds or so.

Now you have your Goldsworthy-in-motion art style there are many things you could do with it. For example you could make a shmup with the 'ship' scrolling along the ground, with the camera tilted slightly up to resemble a low tracking shot.

Alternatively you could have a sort of creative-sandbox-artgame where the player begins with a simple sculpture ofice and can cause it to grow in different ways depending on how they manipulate it.

I admit I didn't know who Dan Flavin was before entering this thread, but I think I have seen one of his sculptures at an exhibition, or at least someone similar to him. I think the best way to turn this:

into a game, would be to create a physical sculpture in a similar style, but with interactive elements that the player controls by... stroking it, or something.

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:05:07 AM »

Actually, it's interesting that you brought this up, because I was thinking of trying to make a game with my own abstract ink drawing style as scenery and stuff eventually.
As far as other art styles go though, to me, when I look at some of the wonderful digital paintings that some members have posted, I imagine that those styles would take a ton of work to replicate for a complete game, but I don't have a tablet yet or anything, so I don't really know how much work it would really involve...

Edit: Just to clarify, I was referring to how much work it would take to set those styles in motion.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:40:02 AM »

Actually, it's interesting that you brought this up, because I was thinking of trying to make a game with my own abstract ink drawing style as scenery and stuff eventually.
As far as other art styles go though, to me, when I look at some of the wonderful digital paintings that some members have posted, I imagine that those styles would take a ton of work to replicate for a complete game, but I don't have a tablet yet or anything, so I don't really know how much work it would really involve...

Edit: Just to clarify, I was referring to how much work it would take to set those styles in motion.
I was really impressed with Isaac's animation from the 'what are you working on' thread:

It's not exactly paper doll, nor is every frame repainted completely. But I think it looks smashing. The only problem is that the sprite would need to be that big on the screen to get the full effect of it. So the style might be best suited to a point and click adventure. Or you could just make smaller sprites.

The-Imp
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:46:42 AM »

Tom Finland game=Cho Aniki.

Youtube it. IF YOU DARE.
 Giggle
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55:45 AM »

I nominate Claude Monet.

With only pastel colours in your palette, no detail permitted and extremely low contrast it would be hard to depict traditional game objects at all (which tend to be small and fast moving).

But more importantly, to be truly impressionistic you couldn't make each sprite up of paint blobs, you'd instead have to constantly update a screen-sized filter every frame to produce the required brushstrokes!

increpare
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:58:21 AM »

- Tom of Finland
:D
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:06:27 AM »

Youtube it. IF YOU DARE.
 Giggle

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 09:38:59 AM »

all of these would be pretty crazy as games, I would almost like to see this challenge of creating games in these art styles.

I have seen Mark Rothko paintings in person and they are completely different from seeing them online. they are usually like 15 feet tall and 8 feet wide. and he is super specific about where his paintings are placed and under what lighting conditions so the colors are exactly the way he intended you to see them.

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »

- Mark Rothko

- Tom of Finland

- Yves Klein

- Andy Goldsworthy

- Jordan McKenzie

I'd say all of these have simmilar counterparts in the game world, but for different reasons. For example, Dan Flavin has simmilarities with old and new vector games and shooters.

I'm bringing this up because we're talking about style, not recreating their work down to every detail or the meaning or influence the artwork was meant to have.

Mark Rothko's minimalism has a lot of pixel aspects, and I'm damn sure I've played a game where you ajust a vertical meter with values that looks like some of his works.

I don't see how Tom of Finland's style is to be condidered imossible by any means. It's a realistic rendering with deep shaddows and light, empty backgrounds in black and white. Most realistic 3D games are here already, and it would only take some backround ajustments to make a dead on copy, not to mention all the monocrome indie games with mostly empty backgrounds.

Andy Goldsworthy's works seem simmilar to colage games using stock picktures of natural objects to create shapes. These are mostly simple 2d games.

It's diffecult to pinpont a consistant style or type of expression in both Jordan McKenzie and Yves Klein from the little I've seen here, but it looks like more of an abstract message using real life models, something games often do. Just off the top of my head, the drugged sequences in Max Payne commes to mind, having an intended realistic world bendt in an abstract, distorted symbolism.

So it's by no means impossible, but all that aside, I really encourage the use of more obscure artistic ways to present a game. Just look at what thick outlines and a paper texture did for Okami. It also opened up the idea to paint on the world itself. I've often wished someone would try to greate a 3D game that looked like it was painted with thick oil colours, letting lines of paint entwine as objects move. Another thing I've wished to try myself is to create a 3D game using the minimalist communist artwork created during the soviet era. It's actually pretty ironic that superheroes like Superman and Batman ended up using a variation of this style, but no one has actually attempted to fully realise it in game form.

Well, that's my rambling out of the way. Carry on.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

Yeah, you have a point.

Dan Flavin has simmilarities with old and new vector games and shooters.

Ok, this is true too.

So is there any art style that HASN'T been used in a computer game?
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »

Topic reminded me of Suprematist game #1.

I nominate Claude Monet.

I believe that Love is already pretty close.

Top-right one reminded me of Qix, too.

(Does this picture show?)

Oh, and Qix is not at all like Mondrian's works, what are you even talking about, Benzido. :/

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

Oh, and Qix is not at all like Mondrian's works, what are you even talking about, Benzido. :/
Maybe not the colors but the way you play the game by sectioning off areas which then get filled with a solid color and stuff. Just replace the colors with the primaries and white and yar, looks a bit alike. Maybe take away the option of making more than one turn per line as well, so you don't get jigsaw-type shapes, just straight rectangles and quadrilaterals.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »

Now that's some lame shit.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »

So is there any art style that HASN'T been used in a computer game?

Well lets look at the Abstract Expressionist, because their work is pretty hard to replicate in a structured setting like a video game.

What was the last game you played that made you go, oh that made me think of Jackson Pollock? I don't think there that many games with that level of abstraction, and while I'm sure you could do a game with art that matches the style of his pieces, it wouldn't really have the same intent or meaning as his work.

Or what about Willem de Kooning, you could sort of say that a game like Crayon Physics is somewhat in his style just do to the simple and childlike nature of its artistic direction, but again there really isn't any game that deals sex and gender relationship in a childlike manner in the same way his work does.

I could keep going through the wikipedia Abstract Expressionism page and adding new examples, but I think I'm probably able to distill out my point by now. Sure you can easily replicate the style and content matter of any art piece in game and often get cool and original results, but you can't really replicate the feeling and intent behind most artistic pieces which is what really gives them their majesty and power. Old art can be a great source of inspiration for people making games, but the ways that games and paintings/photography/other still art influence their viewers is so different, that a game can usually only imitate the art style/content OR the intent behind a piece.

That got pretty rambly there at the end and I don't have time to actually edit my post at the moment, so I apologize if its a bit incohesive. This is just an area that interests me (as I'm busy taking a bunch of art history classes and game design classes at the same time) and I will probably have more to say on it in the future. I think my point for today is that games have yet to be successfully abstracted the way paintings have, we're starting to make some babysteps in the right direction, but we have a long ways to go.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »

I would like to see a game imitating the style of Munch's Scream  Grin

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »

I'm guessing you're joking, those two sets of image results look identical.

Well lets look at the Abstract Expressionist, because their work is pretty hard to replicate in a structured setting like a video game.

I thought about Franz Kline and Jackson Pollock and Robert Motherwell, and maybe there aren't a lot of games in these styles but I could imagine making one. But as for games with the same intent and meaning as a Pollock painting, I think that recent Unity-based music game... "Auditorium". That's a similar idea, even if it visually looks different

You have to see Rothko stuff in person. It doesn't really make sense in a digital image. (Neither do the blue paintings by Yves Klein)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic