Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:55:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art styles that would be hard to make into videogames.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Art styles that would be hard to make into videogames.  (Read 13862 times)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!  Tongue

I'd love to see more games apply Egon Schiele's style of anatomy (especially his drawings of hands  Addicted )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Egon_Schiele_095.jpg/408px-Egon_Schiele_095.jpg

http://www.theartwolf.com/self-portraits/images/self-portrait-schiele-1911-met.jpg

I AM FREE!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »

I want to see a Cubist game.

The-Imp
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

My mind wouldn't be able to comprehend the AWESOMENESS that would contain.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »

A game where... cel-shaded abstract models interact with the very same models from earlier frames?  WTF

I AM FREE!
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »

There's been some very interesting work done on non-linear rendering techniques that encapsulate the soul of cubism, but I don't think it would work on modern 3d hardware.

There's a super page about it here

Increpare, how about a realtime raycasting version?
Zaphos
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 01:10:01 PM »

There's been some very interesting work done on non-linear rendering techniques that encapsulate the soul of cubism, but I don't think it would work on modern 3d hardware.

There's a super page about it here
I like the pencil drawings there, but the distortion on the renderings looks really terrible to me.  I think, that is.  It's hard to tell when the images are so very tiny.
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:28 PM »

Well, that's a very old page. A bunch of groups have made less distorted (but also less creative) versions for things like undistorted panoramas, etc.
increpare
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »

Increpare, how about a realtime raycasting version?
their lensing is a cheap approach to cubism I think.  it ignores the temporal aspects of cubism; works like duchamp's

We've all seen motion trails before, so in some sense this has already been done.  It seems what's being described in that article is a sort of dynamic lensing. (edit: partially ignore that; I had a kneejerk negative reaction to the article)

Arguably UV mapping captures this to some extent

The artist who comes closest to the techniques described in the article is Escher.  In terms of actual cubists, the closest in my mind would be Ceanne

The most interesting possibility here would be to implement billboarding using something like this, where the perspective would scale smoothly.  I think yeah, that this would be the best way to do it, to have entities on screen, and for each one to tug on the perspective a little.  Will think about it: interesting possibilities Smiley

Might even...try it out now Smiley
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »

Initial reactions:

Mark Rothko's stuff seems hard to translate into objects, and games are all about objects (usually). It seems like it would be easier to translate the intent behind the work--to make the games that children would make, or the games that children make up. Here's a multiplayer game in which I always win because I have the best character. Here's a game that's just like my school, except I'm allowed to climb the trees. Of course, it's harder to extract the thoughts from the children of the age he compares himself to. But you could argue that many games involves initial exploration of the environment, and that any game without a tutorial is similar to Mark Rothko's stuff in intent.

It would be a fun programming challenge to animate the curvature Tom of Finland's stuff has. I don't think frame-by-frame animations would convey the style enough--some combination of ragdoll physics and fluid dynamics might work.

Yves Klein doesn't really have a distinct visual style aside from blue, but You Have To Burn The Rope is similar in intent--it's the shell of a game, without much of a game in it. If he had access to a computer, I'm sure he would have taken out the innards and painted it blue.

I would love an Andy Goldsworthy game! Just give me a procedural environment and I'll spend hours placing the objects.

I can't find enough information on Jordan McKenzie to form an opinion.

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »

- Andy Goldsworthy
He's awesome, but given that his work is so...natural...I just don't know how possible it would be to do Goldsworthy stuff in a game.  Maybe in some sort of psudo real VR with accurate nature you could, but yeah, that's a long way off.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »

"You have to Click the Blue"
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »

I think you could do some pretty crazy shit with Mark Rothko's work.

It would have to be super ambient and flowing, and it would be about like matching up shapes and turning them into big shapes or something. I'm envisioning the game as a square lava-lamp where your job is to match up small blobs into big blobs to complete the level.

I don't think you could do much more with it. But if that idea were well executed, it could potentially be an awesome game.

You could probably make one good game from every artist's catalogue, but for a lot of artists once you've compacted their ideas into a game, there wouldn't be anywhere else you could do from there.

Games based on paintings might make for an excellent TIGSource compo. I'd love to do that next.  Well, hello there!
increpare
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »

Okay...billboarding prototype doesn't quite work well (mac build here for the curious)...it worked not well enough that I'm borderline no longer interested with the idea.

The point of it was to have a side-on view of cats positioned in 3d space; if they were in fact rotated to not be facing the viewer, then they would be 'unrotated', the area behind and about them (in the prototype, only to the right) deformed, but the sprites themselves always appearing to be facing the viewer.

so, in the above picture, the cat to the left is actually facing the viewer at an angle, as is indicated by the distortion of the background.

I should probably have done a top-down view as well to make it clearer just how the cats are rotated (Because it's impossible to tell except by looking at the deformation of the landscape about them).

(one other activity that can carry cubist overtones is that of using this software what one uses to assemble several still photographs into a 3d object)
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »

I think if you had made a wide tree with 1000 small leaves rather than an empty space with four small cats, it would have looked totally incredible.
increpare
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

I think if you had made a wide tree with 1000 small leaves rather than an empty space with four small cats, it would have looked totally incredible.
yeah; I sort of forgot about having non-cat objects scattered about.  Maybe I'll return for a more dignified prototype at a later stage...
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »

How about Mike Mignola? His black and white compositions are bloody gorgeous.

Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 06:08:11 PM »

How about Mike Mignola? His black and white compositions are bloody gorgeous.

That looks kind of like Madworld.  But not as good because it's not Hellboy. Lips Sealed
Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »

I don't think that's particularly hard to translate into a game, though. Not moreso than any sort of concept art, anyway.
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

It's not exactly paper doll, nor is every frame repainted completely. But I think it looks smashing. The only problem is that the sprite would need to be that big on the screen to get the full effect of it. So the style might be best suited to a point and click adventure. Or you could just make smaller sprites.

I think Lurk does a pretty awesome job of getting a painty style, and making it work at smaller dimensions:

Also, he has ULTIMATE POWER.

Something that would be hard to translate into game form, but I would love to see done, is any 2d animation that's

. I'm not sure how one would do it while maintaining a system that players can acutaully understand.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »

Jackson Pollock?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic