Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 01:22:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Help with art to sprite transition.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with art to sprite transition.  (Read 2548 times)
RileyVace
Level 0

Also known as Screen Looker

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »

Okay... well I am wanting to start developing a game.
I have this greta idea for one, got the story and characters set out...
I know what i have to make, i just donm't know how.

I'll be making my gamein Game Maker. I have no previous knmowledge of teh program, but this is about the spriting...
I have a few questions, hopefully some of you guys can help?
I have my character all drawn out, nice simple style...
But I just tried using a 32x32 canvas and I can't get any decent look for my figure..
I'm a complete noob to all spriting Sad

What do you guys recommend I use 32x32? Something bigger?
The games a simple platformer, and tbh I am thinking of messing around with GM before i properly dedicate myself to this project - I want this to work and succeed. Maybe make a few platform games to get used to the whole process?
I'm scared of referencing too much from otehr gaems sprites for animation purposes in ase of imitating those styles too much :S

So, basically:
How do I get enough detail to decipher what's an arm from a torso?
How do i fit enough animation in so you can tell it's a little guy walking?
What size is recommended for my sprites? I want to go for Cave Story/Spelunky type size personally, but doubt my character designs would transition that small..

Any suggestions.. I'm not sure where to go from here, thanks and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I had a looka nd couldn't really see anywhere to post this but here :S
Any feedback is appreciated,
Riley~

I have wasted your time with this sentence. I'm sorry Sad
RileyVace
Level 0

Also known as Screen Looker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:55:41 PM »

Wow i am really, really sorry.
appears I posted in the wrong tab no less too Sad
I'm failing today.

I had the Tutorial forum open for helping me with stuff and was going to post this thread in the Indie Game forum...
So sorry Mods, don't ban me please D:

I have wasted your time with this sentence. I'm sorry Sad
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »

I think you might have better luck in Art and Design since this looks like an art question.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:17:58 AM »

How do I get enough detail to decipher what's an arm from a torso?
Simplify it. Rather than trying to make the arm look exactly like an arm with every perfect curvature and muscle and hair, just go with a flesh colored log, and use shading to differentiate it from the torso. I say shading because if you work with "outlines" on the inside of a sprite you'll find that they, coupled with shading can quickly clutter up a sprite and take up space that could be dedicated to defining forms and colors. Generally, outlines inside sprites only make reading them harder. (Though that's not to say it can't be done tactfully and pleasingly.)

How do i fit enough animation in so you can tell it's a little guy walking?
Likewise, simplify. Rather than trying to get all the subtleties of a motion into a small sprite, try going for the larger, more general motions and maybe even exaggerating them if you're still having trouble reading them. Walk cycles are walk cycles no matter what size or resolution they are, so it might do you some good to find some tutoreals or - as I prefer to call them - guides on two dimensional walk cycles to learn the components of such before tackling the extra task of fitting it into a small grid of colored squares.

What size is recommended for my sprites? I want to go for Cave Story/Spelunky type size personally, but doubt my character designs would transition that small..
This is, I think, entirely a matter of personal preference. However you should keep in mind what you would like your sprites to represent - a realistic world would obviously have characters with realistic proportions and they would probably take up less space in a 32*32 grid than a cartoony one with proportions stretched to fill out the frame. However, if you want your character(s) to be expressive in both actions and facially, I'd suggest a more deformed style to allow for larger, more malleable features. Also keep in mind that if you're going for a realistic character in a small space you'd probably have to leave out even more details just to make it read well.

I'm scared of referencing too much from other games' sprites for animation purposes in case of imitating those styles too much :S
I wouldn't worry about this. In fact I'd encourage you to look at other games' art and animation to see what they did and how they did it. Don't worry about copying too closely - if you don't want to you won't, it's not like it's some kind of thing where you'll subconsciously come up with the exact same sprite - and ultimately you'll learn alot quicker. I'd say look at sprites and animations from a variety of styles, though, not just realistic sprites or SD sprites, to see what similarities and differences they boast and to get an idea of what is done because it's right and what is done because it's a part of that individual work.

[/two cents]

Lastly, being able to draw well traditionally is a damn fine - aught necessary skill to have that will speed up the process and improve your results ridiculously exponentially.

Good luck.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 01:24:44 AM »

One of the biggest mistakes is getting too hung up on the outlines. This is relevant for illustration, but less so for pixel art because it's more about the colours and contrast. Plonk down some blobs of different colours and see if you can tweak them into a head, torso, left + right leg, left + right arm.  That would serve you well as a starting point.

Lots of people darken the far limbs, as though they had a camera oriented light, which can help to communicate some depth.

Don't be afraid to look at existing sprites either. See how other people do it!

twitter: @docky
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:15 AM »

rich (from pixeljam) has put together a great tutorial on pixeling at gamedev (it's a two parter):

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art/features/pixelart1/

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art/features/pixelart2/

also there's derek's classic pixeling tutorial here: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218

hope those help. maybe once you go through those you could post your progress here and folks could give you some feedback as you go.

happy pixeling! it's addicting

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:51:19 AM »

addicting

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic