Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:12:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450115 times)
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7080 on: May 31, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »

MINOR SPOILERS:

I have a bit of an odd question. What exactly happened to Moon's complex when it flooded, and specifically, what is its current state? Did it just collapse, leaving a bunch of rubble and that remaining section we see in-game? Or did some of it sink, leaving something buried underground in such a way that parts are theoretically still intact?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:36:43 PM by 12LandsBoundlessSpace » Logged
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: June 01, 2017, 11:28:32 AM »

MINOR SPOILERS:

I have a bit of an odd question. What exactly happened to Moon's complex when it flooded, and specifically, what is its current state? Did it just collapse, leaving a bunch of rubble and that remaining section we see in-game? Or did some of it sink, leaving something buried underground in such a way that parts are theoretically still intact?
Given that water shortages were a problem originally, i think that there was never an ocean there before. Given how difficult it was to get all the way to 5p, I think it's fair to assume that there was a similar "leg" and lower area of moon that is simply out of reach. Also given that moon seems to be at her original height and isn't sinking st all, I would argue that a lot of the structure is intact underwater, albeit the issue is not that it sank, so much as flooded up to moons top floor permanently.
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: June 01, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

I thought something like that was the case, and I am almost certain you are correct about the leg structure, but as far as I know the ocean around there isn't that deep and the floor is only a bit lower than Moon's chamber. Assuming the chamber is at the top of the complex as is the case with Pebbles, this would mean that there's an area nearly as tall as The Wall that isn't accounted for. Someone suggested that the structure just collapsed, which would explain all of the structural pieces lying around Shoreline, but you'd think with a structure that big collapsing, the small remaining section would basically be sitting on top of a massive pile of rubble, or otherwise be completely surrounded by it. The other possibility I can think of is that the water softened the rubble to the point where over the years the massive and heavy structure slowly sank down, and now all but the very top is buried under water and sand. (I'm actually not sure how satisfactory this answer is either, but there are so many small details to think about that I can't tell.)
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »

So, any news on the update?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7084 on: June 04, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

So, any news on the update?

nothing terribly new to report, im afraid! just doing the boring parts right now such as "making it all work together", placing the new bits, making sure the new bits dont break the old bits, etc.

Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7085 on: June 07, 2017, 07:13:59 AM »

Do we have some sort of time frame on when the content update will come out?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7086 on: June 07, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »

sadly, were in the "wait for things to come through from the publisher" holding pattern for the moment. but on the upside that just means there will be more content when it does happen! planning on making an official post this week detailing what we have so far

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: June 07, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »

Are you guys planning any new/expanded regions in the coming months, or mostly just creatures and gameplay?
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: June 08, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »

I've finally gotten all the achievements. Are there any plans for Steam Trading Cards for the game? I'd love custom Steam wallpapers, badges, and other digital goodies.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: June 08, 2017, 03:51:14 AM »

Update 539

Ninja gecko lizards! My intention with these guys is that they'll be used to make life difficult for Red slugcat, but it's James who places creatures in the world so we'll see what happens. In either case, I think they have a lot of potential to be fun in multiplayer.

Jumping hasn't really been a thing for rain world creatures so far, because I couldn't sort it out with the path finding. Basically, once you open the pandoras box of jumping, pretty much every tile on the level is connected to pretty much every other, through the means of these really complicated parabolas. Was quite difficult to find a solution for that in terms of path finding.

My work around was this: From where the creature is, I follow its pathfinder around 5 or so tiles forward. This is a spot the creature can be expected to be in in about a second. At this position I plop down a "jump finder", which at a high frequency tries a bunch of random jump directions and velocities and traces out those parabolas with super simple physics.

It also keeps track of its "best jump so far". Every time it has a successful parabola (landing on actual terrain etc) it checks that landing spot against the "best so far". If the path finding weight is lower (closer to destination), this is the new best. Because it's very quick, it will pretty soon find some decent jump proposals.

Once the lizard reaches the jump finder, it checks whether the current best jump of that jump finder is valid and worth it (does it actually take me closer to my destination? Is it a reasonable jump arc and not a super high and narrow one that will bring me 3 tiles forward but take me on a 6 second rocket launch into the sky?). If so, it jumps!

When jumping it places a new jump finder on the expected landing location, which will be working during the air-time. With a bit of luck it will have found a new nice jump to be chained on immediately when landing.

Some more gifs!

Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: June 08, 2017, 05:36:33 AM »

This is brillant!
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: June 08, 2017, 08:22:53 AM »

Holy cow, you manage to outdo yourself every single time. Very nice!
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: June 08, 2017, 08:58:55 AM »

Does this mean that you're a little closer to possibly implementing Slugcat/Slugcat-like creatures in the future, now that jumping AI is implemented?
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: June 08, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »

Oh god I'm going to die so much to those things.

I'm 32 hours in and still haven't got to [SPOILER IMPORTANT CHARACTER/REGION] so I might still be playing by the time that that update hits.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: June 09, 2017, 12:36:30 AM »

Does this mean that you're a little closer to possibly implementing Slugcat/Slugcat-like creatures in the future, now that jumping AI is implemented?

It wasn't about that specifically, that was more of a symptomatic thing ~ still wouldn't be able to make anything that looked remotely non-wonky. Scavengers are my honest attempt at a creature with sort of the slugcat moveset, for reference  Cheesy We want to do the pups at some point though!

Oh god I'm going to die so much to those things.

I'm 32 hours in and still haven't got to [SPOILER IMPORTANT CHARACTER/REGION] so I might still be playing by the time that that update hits.

Don't worry, we're very much steering clear of having the game come out more difficult after the update - rather the idea is that it will be a little easier. Or, to be clear, we will have 3 playable characters:

White - classic - not easier but a few quality of life improvements.
Yellow - this one will be easier. There are currently people who want to see the game but are unable to progress through it, which is a shame, so yellow will be a little milder in a bunch of ways.
Red - hardcore mode for hardcore players. This is probably mostly where the new horror critters will be used.

So don't worry if I post stuff that seems absolutely horrifying, we're aware that the game is quite challenging as is!
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7095 on: June 09, 2017, 03:16:49 AM »

It's a shame that the horror critters only appear on hardcore mode. Would love to still see them on white/yellow ( mid difficulty ) , but tuned down - slower movement speed for example, or less aggressive.
Meaning, I'd love to see everything in the game, but I don't consider myself anywhere near hardcore. Sure I've mapped and visited every screen in the game but I know that a red dragon lizard would put me down in a matter of seconds.

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: June 09, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »

I feel like it's good to have some things exclusive to each difficulty so that you can at least see the world on easy mode, and it gives you the motivation to practice a ton so that you can see what's in store in the other modes.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: June 09, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »

Don't worry, we're very much steering clear of having the game come out more difficult after the update - rather the idea is that it will be a little easier.

Haha thanks. I feel the game is much harder for me just due to my stubbornness with certain areas than it is. Loving the game so far!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: June 10, 2017, 02:39:02 PM »

Update 540

Dropwig!

This one is still WIP ~ the dropping in particular needs tuning to be dangerous while not being an insta-kill out of nowhere. Again this is stuff intended for Red. The dropwig is supposed to keep you always on your toes and never quite able to relax - every room is a potential danger and you need to be on your best game always!

The drop itself is supposed to be somewhat dangerous but avoidable with good reflexes. Once the dropwig is mobilized though, you have a quite dangerous predator on the floor next to you, and a situation that needs to be dealt with quickly. Although if you're playing Red it's assumed you're a pretty good spear thrower, and it shouldn't be too difficult to fight it off.

jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7099 on: June 10, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »

I absolutely LOVE the VFX on the new lizards. And the dropwigs... O_0 excited for hardmode so I can get fucking destroyed by these new enemies 25/7
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic