Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411661 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 03:35:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOh Shoot! (now beta testing on iOS)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oh Shoot! (now beta testing on iOS)  (Read 2173 times)
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »

(Beta tester recruitment is currently closed.)

Hi! I made a simple "dual cannon shooter" arcade game called Oh Shoot! which you can play on Kongregate. It's all about splitting your attention between both cannons.

I'm going to release it on the App Store as well, but not yet. I would really appreciate some feedback!

Playable here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/CatlikeCoding/oh-shoot

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:37:41 AM by Jasper Flick » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »

I like the concept of two cannons that must avoid each other's fire while avoiding their own reflected bullets.

The game felt a bit floaty, lacking in weight. Might just be an issue of needing punchier sound effects. I loved the homemade aural aesthetic, but the current sound effects weren't effective at telegraphing what was happening to me, which I think is necessary when you're asking the player to split his or her focus between two parts of the screen. The death of both the enemies and the player took me by surprise, since there's not much telegraphing on how dark the color can get, I didn't have much sense of when the turret I wasn't focusing on was getting hit, and the deaths themselves were a bit subtle visually.

GameDevLife
Level 0

Beacon of Bacon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »

NOTE:  I don't read the other posts so that I can go into a game fresh.  Some of this may have been covered.

Pros: 

Simple graphics that read and feel internally consistent however the colors and shapes could use fine tuning to help the player better understand what is happening on the field.

Basics of gameplay almost immediately made sense to me but I don't think a casual player could pick up and play without an explanation of the controls.

Cute sound creates a fun atmosphere.

Fun to pick up and play.

Cons:

Communication with the player is inadequate during gameplay.  It wasn't obvious to me whether I was trying to avoid projectiles with my canon or trying to defend the entire line.  It was not clear to me when I was getting hit until I made a special effort.  Hard to tell when multi-shot enemies are getting hit.  It is my belief that satisfying "enemy" destruction is a reward mechanism.

Playfield is needlessly hectic.  Some projectiles are pretty hard to read amidst the zooming background, ball shapes along the track and outgoing projectiles from each canon.

The effect of power-ups wasn't very clear -- hard to read what's happening in the chaos.

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:11 AM »

Thank you for your feedback, it is really appreciated! I have uploaded a new version, trying to take some stuff you and others have said into account.

Larger critters now have additional explosion effects.
The cannons whine and burn a little whenever they get hit.
Changed the health bars so they're less distracting and easier to see how much health you have left.
Controls are explained in the description on Kongregate, but I've also included a link (question mark) in the game to a documentation webpage. I'm still working on that.
The animated background has become brighter, but can be switched off with a toggle button in the menu.
The game will have music, which should give it more "weight", but it's not done yet.

I'm still working on it. More feedback would be very nice! By now I'm so adapt at playing my own game that it's getting hard to judge its difficulty.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:34:05 AM by Jasper Flick » Logged

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »

I've put another update on Kongregate, which improves graphics quality and speeds up gameplay. But - more importantly - I'm now looking for beta testers for the iOS version. I decided to try out testflightapp.com for it.

So, want to help me by beta testing on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad? Please sign up here!

Here's a picture of my first beta tester. I need some more help!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:57:14 AM »

I'll sign up for this once I get home Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »

Your beta tester looks like he might have trouble with precision controls on a touch device Wink.

I'd be happy to help, but I don't have an iDevice. Good luck with testing, though.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »

Signed up Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:23:16 AM »

Smiley Glad to have you aboard, Destral!

Your beta tester looks like he might have trouble with precision controls on a touch device Wink.

I'd be happy to help, but I don't have an iDevice. Good luck with testing, though.

Wink Yea, the lion is cute, but human tester are definitely better.

Too bad you don't have an iDevice, but at least there's the web version! (Unless you're using Linux... though there's hope.)

To the few people who singed up but haven't added a device yet: please do so! I'll accept you once that's done.

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »

All right, I got quite some testers! I'm closing the recruitment for now. But don't let that stop you to check out the web version!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic