Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411661 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 03:04:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTrapped - arena space shooter with a twist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trapped - arena space shooter with a twist  (Read 1601 times)
Wiebo
« on: March 10, 2011, 02:42:36 AM »

Hi there,

[update] BETA 2 available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12644619/Trapped_B2.zip [/update]

Here's hoping you like shoot-em-ups. I've been working on this one for some time now and as it is starting to come together now this might be a good idea to talk a bit about it.

I'm not decided yet on how I will distribute this game. There will definitely be a demo out of the first 1-10 stages as soon as I have sounds running; the game is silent now.

The game is created in Blitzmax, using the Retro Remakes framework.

It is an arcade shooter, it will have 25 stages with 5 bonus stages to break the action up a bit. The objective of the game is to charge your portal device with enough energy so you can be transported to the next stage. To do this, you must catch (not shoot) enemies and pull them into the portal device to transfer their energy. For this you have something called a collector device. While using this to catch enemies you cannot shoot. The problem is that the environment itself is depleting your ship energy as well, which you can only regain by shooting enemies. When your ship energy is full, additional enemies you shoot will fill up the weapon power-up bar, so you can earn a better weapon. Which you need, trust me.

Shooter games mostly only let you kill the enemies. Here, you must use them as well to gain access to the next stage. So, apart from being an arena shooter, it will add various needs which the player has to balance. It's fun to play already, I find myself 'testing' more and more, hehe.

There will be bonus stages to break up the action and change the game from time-limited to an endurance test. These bonus stages take place (somehow) inside boss aliens and should be totally different than the main shooter game.

I have a dev blog on http://wiebo.wordpress.com if you want to take a look now and then, but I promise to post here as well talk about what's happening.

Here are some recent screenshots, and explanations about what's going on:

The circles around the player are energy levels: the outer ring is the portal device energy level, the inner ring is the player energy level. At the bottom you see the weapon power up bar, showing that you currently have the dual shot, and almost reached the triple shot. Nice. The alien at the bottom fires a laser from time to time. Very annoying and deadly when the ship comes into contact with it. Also, the alien is protected by three aliens, acting as a shield. You will have to peel of the shield before you can kill the laser shooting eye.

In this shot some aliens are eating away on the portal device. The weapon power up bar at the bottom is almost filled up, so shoot a few more aliens and get that new gun ... or catch some more aliens to power up the portal device again... Time is running out and the device is in a bad shape... It can still be fixed, but time is running out.

As you can seen here, the portal device is almost kaputt, and there are only 53 seconds left to finish this stage. Maybe spent too much time upgrading the weapon power up bar? hehe. The power up bar is gone, so the player has the triple shot now. The bar will re-appear on the next stage. You gain lots of points for shooting enemies now though.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:02:16 AM by WieboW » Logged
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »

It's an interesting premise, and I like the screenshots. But I'd like to at least see it in action in a video.

How much longer do you think it's going to take to get the demo out?

Also, is there a way to earn more time?

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:00:48 AM »

Its good to see you've picked this back up again, I was worried it had become a forgotten project.  Good luck with this WieboW, its looking great so far, a big improvement over last time I saw it.  I'll be keeping an eye on your blog  Wink
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:17:08 AM »

Interesting premise, appealing graphics! Looking forward to trying this out.

You could always, you know, keep a devlog here in the appropriate section. Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Wiebo
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:21:04 AM »

@motorheap: Yes, I has been long in the making, due to various reasons. But I always intended to finish it.

@ithamore: I hope to have a beta-demo out real soon now. I need to create the first bonus stage and add the final sounds, so the demo can play from stage 1-10. It should take no more than a week (I can only work on this in my spare time)
For now there is no plan to add ways to earn more time in a stage. But this means I can fine-tune the game progress as I want it. With the input from the reactions to the demo I should be able to finish the final stages as well.
I will try to make a video of it as well to show some of the game play. Maybe I posted this a bit too early Smiley

@destral: OK, I will post here when important milestones are hit.
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »

Interesting idea, looking forward to playing. Keep up the good work.
Wiebo
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »

No video yet, sorry, but maybe something better: a BETA is downloadable from my public dropbox link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12644619/Trapped_beta.zip

You can try this out, and maybe talk about it here? I am interested in your comments!

Here is the README.TXT:

Trapped - in development version
================================
This version of Trapped is a debug build, and a BETA.
It only works if you have a dual stick game pad. There is currently no other way to play this game.

Still missing are:
- Sound config
- Keyboard/Mouse config

Known issues:
- Small GFX problems in Open GL.
- Sound mix is not done yet, so volume issues sometimes arise.

The game is currently playable to level 11. In level 12, nothing spawns and therefore the game ends there, for now.
The plan is to have a bonus stage after every 5 levels, and go to level 24.

Game Play Instructions:
========================
Read the briefing ingame. If this is not clear enough, I would love to hear about it.

==========
I am mainly looking for feedback on the following:

- IS IT FUN?
- bugs: I would love to hear about bugs and how to replicate them.
- difficulty: how is the ramp up? fair? harsh? I personally like it, starting to struggle at stage 8.
- game play: are the objectives clear? where did you struggle?
- problems with configuration of gfx, gamepad, keyboard settings
- missing features

Don't be angry when you tell me about a bug and I already know about it. It happens.

If you have a tip or addition on the game, don't hesitate to mention it.
If it fits in the game I might implement it, even though it's late in the development cycle =]
Wiebo
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »

I have a new beta version, you can grab it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12644619/Trapped_B2.zip

I fixed lots but here is a short list:

- toned down difficulty a bit
- fixed deadzone problem after pad reconfig
- made sounds more random in tone
- tuned bonus stage 1
- incoming enemy alert on player hud
- more gradual build up of guns
- removed enemy clutter after death/succes