Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411667 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 10:07:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEarly feedback on my space adventure shooter wanted! (Android)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Early feedback on my space adventure shooter wanted! (Android)  (Read 1243 times)
redskyforge
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback on my early alpha space adventure shooter. It's on Android only at the moment, but I'm using libgdx so a PC/Mac desktop version might happen too. If you're interested in giving it a quick try then grab the Android APK from http://redskyforge.com/downloads/SpaceStory-android.apk and install it using AppInstaller or something else (some people will be able to install it directly depending on OS). It looks like this:

The game is going to be a space adventure shooter. What does this mean? Basically you'll engage in spaceship dogfights with pirates, aliens and other evil space folk, following a storyline described over the course of a bunch of missions. Kind of like a cross between Tie Fighter and the Elite/Frontier games, but in 2D. The original idea is actually inspired by an old DOS game that I played many years ago and haven't been able to find again, so I'm not sure how closely it'll resemble it.

I'm looking for feedback on:

- What's bad/needs improvement. I'm most interested in input/controls feedback. How can I make 2D dogfighting on a 5" touchscreen fun and playable? Perhaps the ship should automatically chase targets (personally I think that's no fun). All suggestions and ideas are very welcome. If you can think of a similar mobile game with decent controls I'd love to hear about it.

- Ideas on how to make it more fun to play. New kind of weapons? A cloaking device? Super awesome laser beams that pew pew your enemies? Let me know what you think would be fun! I have my own ideas but I'd love to hear what other people think.

- What would you like to see in the story of a space adventure game? I should probably say "within reason" here but hey it's sci-fi, pretty much anything goes! Space Zombies? The Borg? God? Again I have my own ideas and the overall story will probably follow these ideas, but missions/areas/ships in this game will be easy to design so if I can fit it, why not!

- Bug reports. I'm aware that picking ships and shooting them on lower resolution phones isn't working properly yet. If you find anything else stupid or wrong, let me know.

Thanks a lot!
redskyforge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:36:51 AM »

Uploaded a broken APK file, go me. It's fixed now, any feedback I could get would be really great Smiley
redskyforge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »

Bump! Must be someone around here with an Android phone... Tongue
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »

Why does this app need full internet access?

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »

I played the game just briefly, I'll try to have a longer go when I'm not at work. I couldn't really work out what to do. I managed to spin the ship round and fire and make it kind of glow but I couldn't go anywhere. I also accepted some kind of mission but I wasn't really sure what was going on. Perhaps I missed something obvious.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic