Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 06:57:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingheART - The Indie Exploration/RPG/Adventure!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: heART - The Indie Exploration/RPG/Adventure!  (Read 4185 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:21 AM »

Give yourself a little break, a couple weeks or so... and then just crank out that last zone. You're right there!

3dpursuit
Level 0

My name is Ed, Freeware Dev.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »

Now that I think about it, all that I need to do is add another zone, and everything else could stay the same. So I'll definetly add another szone haha :D I'll tell you when it's updated

EDIT:
heART Has received a much wanted update! Below is what has been added.

a)
1 new map to use your new abilities in.

b)
Less particles to cause less lag

c)
Less lag...

d)

Removal of the chest error, chest now have random amount of hearts

d) C is now used for dashing

I wanted to add health upgrades and ability to turn off particles, but it kept glitching.

EDITEDIT: I wanted to add another object or cutscene for the last zone. I plan on adding that in, I just need to figure out what.

EDITEDITEDIT: Added cutscene and one more dialogue to sum up the final area.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:04:52 PM by 3dpursuit » Logged

New Jersey Freeware developer. Prefers creating exploration & Puzzle platfomers.
3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »

Bump

New Jersey Freeware developer. Prefers creating exploration & Puzzle platfomers.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 02:11:01 AM »

Just wanted to let you know that I played your game tonight and I have some feedback ^_^  First of all, the aesthetics were great -- I loved the art and I thought the music was very fitting.  I have a few suggestions for things you can do to improve the overall player experience:

• As seramis mentioned, it's actually easy to get stuck on the first screen (especially if you're used to playing keyboard controlled games where spacebar or enter are used as the primary dialogue forwarding keys).  It took me a while to figure out how to move to the next screen as well.  It might be nice if you put a little "Z" in the corner like you did with the dialogue boxes.  The Z doesn't actually show up until you start reading dialogue, but by then I already know I'm supposed to press Z... it might be better if you have that reminder right in the beginning.
  • The first cutscene was a bit confusing as the only thing to distinguish between Saera and Eid is the color of their square heads.  I would suggest either putting their names above the dialogue so you know who is talking (or at the least, making Saera's head sprite more distinct... perhaps adding a bow or long hair or something).  I like the sprites and font that you're using for the dialogue.
  • It felt strange to me that after using Z to forward all the dialogue in the opening cutscene, I suddenly had to use X to forward the instructions screen (which felt just like more dialogue).  I think it's better if you can be consistent by either keeping Z as the button you use to forward dialogue, or having the players use X to forward the dialogue in the beginning.
  • I really didn't like how there were unavoidable spikes right at the very start of the game.  It damaged me quite a bit, and it made me question whether or not I was doing something wrong (I thought maybe there was a double-jump option that I didn't know about).
  • There are some places where there doesn't seem to be any barrier, but I'm unable to go any further (to the left of where you pick up Saera's ring for example).  I think it's better if passability is consistent because it gives the player more of a feeling of accomplishment when they navigate through areas.
  • The player controls feel a bit awkward; controlling Eid didn't feel very natural.  I think his movement could be a bit floatier and less rigid.  Swimming was also rather unnatural... when you pressed Z you would zoom upwards far faster than expected, so it felt more as though I was turning on a magnet and being pulled to the ceiling as opposed to swimming.

Overall I think it's a very cute game that would benefit greatly from a bit of fine tuning in the player control and UI areas.  Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 04:48:03 AM »

The screenshots look interesting, but I baulked to install the yoyo games plugin.
FYI   Durr...?

Never had that site work on Mac, unfortunately. Anyone know how to get it working?

destiny is truth pre-op
3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »

Holygod supersigi. I think i love you. Thanks for such amazingly constructive feedback. And X3N, the game only works on PC.

(I'll use Z to exit out of the instructions)

I'm also lowering lag now (which was a previous thing only some people found)

The passability thing is only occurring in the first room and I may or may not fix that, because as its so small, I'll get to it last.

(I'll definitely remove the spikes at the begining)

Adding Z to the Title.

I'll add names under Saera and Eid, but for the enemies ill most likely just have Huh?? under them.

Thanks for playing!

3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »

Update! Details:
- Game Lag Severely Decreased. Should run smooth on most computers.
- Added a little <z> symbol on the menu so you know what button to press at the beginning.
- Changed the final credits to a grass background instead of just black.
- Added effects to the endings & credits. They now fade in and out when entering the credits/final scenes, and it looks much smoother.
- Load time decreased.
- Areas in the first stage where they seemed passable, but were purposefully stopped became fully closed off with ground blocks.
- Z Now used to exit out of the game info/instructions.
- Spikes in the first room that were too long to jump & killed/injured many players removed (right by the beginning).
- Lowered amount of mines in last level.

Tell me if there are any changes/updates you'd like to see!

3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »

The Game has reached 1200 plays in 8 days. The biggest news is that It's been featured on JayisGames.com!

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2011/03/weekend_download_178.php

3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »

Bump

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »

No problem, I enjoyed checking it out ^_^  And congrats on the jayisgames article. 

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »

Thanks! I fixed everything you've wanted btw. And I'm quite excited. I've gotten over 600 plays in 1 day!

3dpursuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »

Bump

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic