Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 10:30:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRadium Mines of Xantor (prototype)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Radium Mines of Xantor (prototype)  (Read 2123 times)
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »

Hello everyone.

This is a game about the perils of Radium Mining.
http://vacuumflowers.com/temp/radium_mines/

<space> to place radium bombs
<arrows> to move

I'm considering this version more as a sketch than as a finished game in its own right.

Among other changes, I think it would work well with representative sprites instead of low fidelity abstracts. Probably the resolution would be increased just enough for the main character to have little legs. I would also like to play with other enemy types and better level generation. Unfortunately can't put any more time into this at present, but your feedback and thoughts are welcome nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:39:17 PM by Sparky » Logged
Torerane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »

I thought this was a neat little game. I understand it's just a prototype, but I think there's some good potential for addictive gameplay. While it's definitely challenging, I feel that the difficulty adds to the fun risk/reward, almost like a rogue-like or 'Spelunky'. Having to get back to your ship in one piece adds some additional strategy.

What I think would be cool would be to have temporary power-ups of some sort, eg, an item that increases speed for x sec, or invincibility for x sec. That way you could risk getting a power-up and run through some enemies or something.

Oh yeah and the comments when you die are pretty amusing!
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »

Another cool game Sparky!

I loved the atmosphere absolutely and the comments made by your captors were great. It kind of reminded me of Rock Boshers, which was my favorite game from the demake compo.

I would have liked it if the levels slowly got more complicated instead of all being fully developed because nothing was worse than being very careful in the first world, only to quickly and stupidly die in the second. It made me not want to play the third because my score was already bad. I think by making the levels slightly larger and more rewarding each time, this problem could be averted.

Also, I really liked it when I blew up the giant bombs, but I never really wanted to do that because I felt like it was a waste. Perhaps if these were not able to be collected, or could be placed it would be more fun.

Overall however, it is lovely, as are all of your games.

Oh, and a glitch. The number of gems I collected on the bottom was messed up for me. After 0 gems it was difficult to read because it seemed as if the top half of the numbers somehow became off centered.
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:20:57 AM »

Very interesting Sparky.  Looking forward to where this is going.

I see a sort of colonize and exploit sort of game.  Discover planets, suck them dry of their resources, use said resources on your own planet.  That sort of thing.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 04:34:41 AM »

Very interesting Sparky.  Looking forward to where this is going.

I see a sort of colonize and exploit sort of game.  Discover planets, suck them dry of their resources, use said resources on your own planet.  That sort of thing.

Yes, great start to the game.

Would be even tougher without the clearly defined grid so you can see the blast radius..

destiny is truth pre-op
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:00:11 AM »

A new thing from Sparky! Marvelous. Was wondering how you were going, actually.

Ooh, I'm already liking this one. Played it through about ten times! Nice sense of humour, and tunneling your own way to reward (and an early grave) is lots of fun. Agreed that a greater diversity of enemies would keep things interesting. But, as you said yourself, it's a sketch. The super-minimal look keeps everything readable - if you sprite the game up, do keep the clarity. Not that that's ever been a problem for you. Your games are always very easy to interpret visually, whilst looking sweet.

Now, I'd think it interesting (assuming you complicate the game at a later date Smiley) if you gave the player the option to build as well as destroy. A dirt gun, I suppose. Could be fun to blast one's way in, get the goods and seal off the breach. Also, maybe some kind of environmental fluid? Keep the inertia of blasts, gum up foes. Might be costly, processor wise. Don't really know how these things work. Or maybe some kind of Conway's cellular automata hazard? That could be neat.

Good stuff, keep it up!
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 05:28:40 AM »

Actually those graphics are very interesting, a full game looking like that would be great.
Thotep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »

It's interesting and enjoyable. I would add more diversity; in environments especially. Random ideas: some rocks that can't be blown up? "Sand" areas, that are falling apart? Water, flooding the mines?

@thotep, made Prophour23, currently working on PANZERBOMB. My blog: http://thesecretpie.com
Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »

Love it! Love the graphics, too. Really charming game, and a lot of fun to play around with. Enjoyed the enemy types; simple but satisfactorily diverse.

Some of the mentioned ideas sound interesting or exciting, but I'm a fan of low-feature games personally, and I kind of love it as is. I don't mean to dissuade you from taking it in whatever direction you feel like, though. On the same note, although I do really like the big-pixel grid graphics, I am not uninterested in seeing what would happen if you took a more representational turn.

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »

Looks really great, but plays really really slowly here on OSX.

Kev

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:30:18 AM »

I like it. I wish there were some sfx, but it is a prototype. The gameplay was fun.

I didn't know I could collect the radium at first, since the instructions can only be seen if the player waits long enough at the starting screen.

How are you enjoying using Processing?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:00:52 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic