Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:26:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRPG Playground, create and play online RPG's
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: RPG Playground, create and play online RPG's  (Read 6846 times)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:06:37 AM »

Hi,

I would like to get some feedback on something I've been working on. It's called RPG Playground and is basically an online RPG with level editor. It's still very early in development, but you can now edit levels, save and load them, and share them with other people. You can also start from a shared level from someone else and extend or modify it.

You can give it a try at http://rpgplayground.com

Or if you want to start from an already existing level, try http://rpgplayground.com/?prj=50fd87b4180965492e00000b or http://rpgplayground.com/?prj=50fc1ac7180965492e000001.

I'm working towards a version where you can create a complete (but very limited) game. Next thing on my list to implement is adding NPC's.

Since a lot of you are into game development, I would love to hear what you think of it Smiley.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:20:37 AM by dewitters » Logged

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:10 AM »

Hmmmm.... wrong crowd I guess Sad.

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:24:17 AM »

Actually, that's pretty cool. Shows a lot of promise. Suggestion, maybe add a character creation thing or something later on.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:43:39 AM »

Yes, creating your own character at the start of the game (as a player) would indeed be cool. Choosing your class, etc. . But that's probably an advanced feature, and my current list of tasks is pretty huge Concerned.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »

Very cool indeed! I just think that it should have more tiles.
What you're using on the server side?

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »

It reminds me of the good old Eclipse/Konfuze days. Cool.

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »

Not the wrong crowd, just the slow one. I like it. It would be more engaging with other animate entities. But that sprite work is great. Very nice tilesets. Coffee

Also, because of the little arrow icons, I get the feeling that there were more props I could've used, but I could find no way to functionally scroll through the list. I tried everything that came to mind and then some.

I'll keep an eye on it. Looking forward to the NPC feature add-in.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:16:07 AM »

Very cool indeed! I just think that it should have more tiles.
What you're using on the server side?

You're not the first one to request more tiles, so that's definitely high on my priority list.

I'm using node.js on the server side, with mongodb. First I did the client-server communication with websockets, and it worked locally, but on the real server it had Flash security issues that I couldn't solve. So now I'm using old-school http posts.

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »

Not the wrong crowd, just the slow one.

That's fantastic! Because features are added at that same speed Smiley.

Also, because of the little arrow icons, I get the feeling that there were more props I could've used, but I could find no way to functionally scroll through the list. I tried everything that came to mind and then some.

Do you mean that button on the right of the tileset? If you drag it down then you scroll through the tileset. It's basically a vertical scroller. If this is the case, then I seriously need to see how I can make that more obvious (maybe make it visually a real scrollbar).

Joxno
Level 0

Complexity from Simplicity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »

I like the concept of this even if it's at a very early stage.

I found it quite easy to jump in and start creating levels and the art is splendid as well.

In terms of the scroller it'd be nice to have it tied to the scroll-wheel but not sure if that's possible with it being browser-based.

I can see this becoming quite fun with more features added, Warps, classes, levels, NPCs, Items etc.

Maybe even add your own custom spritesheets although this'd pose a slight security issue and of course the infamous internet draw-every-possible-sexual-sprite-possible.

But I'll definitely keep this on the lookout, well done, keep up the good job!

Cheers!

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:00 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback! Keeps me motivated to work on those missing features Smiley.

I also miss the scroll wheel functionality, but I'm not sure if it can be done (maybe with some javascript hacking.)

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »

Time for an update! I got the scroll wheel working, and improved the scrollbar (it now looks like a real scrollbar!). You can now also add NPC's, but still have to add some features to make them more usable.

You gave some valuable feedback the last time, so I would love to hear what you think of it now! Smiley

For those too lazy to scroll to the beginning of this thread: http://rpgplayground.com

SimianLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »

it would be good to have a sandbox mode that doesn't persist for letting people try it (i hit the registration page and bounced)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »

it would be good to have a sandbox mode that doesn't persist for letting people try it (i hit the registration page and bounced)

There is one if you start from a created game. For example: http://rpgplayground.com/?prj=51014f4c6ff20e3930000001. Only when you want to save your changes a login is required. I still need to adapt the preloader in that case, because now it looks weird.

SimianLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

wow! there's a ridiculous amount of content in there already -- lots of good sprites.

I found the sprite selection tool to be a little counter-intuitive (took me a few tries to realize I was creating a selection box).

The biggest pain right now is moving the camera. I think a much better solution would be to allow you to click+drag to move the camera (even if it stays locked to the grid).

I also found mouse movement to be a bit tedious (he only moves one block). The world is probably too big to implement unbounded A* without causing serious hangups, but you could do a simple distance check and if within a reasonable bounds do A* to that point.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »

I found the sprite selection tool to be a little counter-intuitive (took me a few tries to realize I was creating a selection box).

I know that other people also had trouble with this. Any suggestions on what would be intuitive? Because I have no idea on how to improve this Sad.

The biggest pain right now is moving the camera. I think a much better solution would be to allow you to click+drag to move the camera (even if it stays locked to the grid).

My first idea was indeed a click+drag, because this would also make sense for a touch interface. But once I add some paint tools, you expect a click+drag to paint, and not to move the viewport. Maybe I should make use of the other mouse button for moving the camera, or even shift-click... .

I also found mouse movement to be a bit tedious (he only moves one block). The world is probably too big to implement unbounded A* without causing serious hangups, but you could do a simple distance check and if within a reasonable bounds do A* to that point.

A* is on my list, for small distances, but I think there are plenty of other things that are higher priority.

SimianLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:39 PM »

Are there scenarios where you'd want just a small part of a sprite and not the whole sprite? Maybe the default should be clicking once to select the whole stamp, with selection rect a different mode (you have the toggles between create/destroy now, maybe a 3rd?). That would give you the power that you have (if it's needed), but make the default more novice-friendly.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »

You sometimes need to add single tiles (for tree variations for example), but this is indeed not for novices. A different tool might indeed solve it. In the future I will add some more tools, so need to take this into consideration.

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »

I've put the new version of RPG Playground online. A lot has changed since my last post here, but not as much as I wanted to. You can currently add NPC's and set their orientation. The tilemap can be resized, and some other stuff was improved such as the scrollbar and mouse-over highlights of buttons.

I'm currently working on the functionality to talk to NPC's.

Any feedback is welcome! Smiley

http://rpgplayground.com

xarn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »

This really has great potential, I can't wait to see more!
A little adventure with some monsters to slain would be awesome to show its potential!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic