Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:16:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game-making software
Poll
Question: What is your preferred tool for making standalone games?
The ones I code myself from scratch - 64 (41.3%)
Game Maker - 42 (27.1%)
Multimedia Fusion - 16 (10.3%)
Adobe Flash - 17 (11%)
Adobe Director - 0 (0%)
Other (please specify below) - 16 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Game-making software  (Read 21491 times)
Moosader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »

Allegro's pretty easy to get used to, though people who've never touched C++ will face the same difficulty of getting started.

I don't know, I'd just prefer to code things myself for the sake of learning, since I can't take myself seriously as a programmer if I use something like Game Maker.
Similarly, I can barely take myself seriously heavily using Allegro right now, which is why I'm trying to scoot over to SDL instead.

Also something the main game making software I hear about lack-- hardware acceleration.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »

I loved Untitled Story. Smiley Except for the tiny screen bit, but oh well.
You can full-screen it; that option is buried in a menu somewhere.

It's cleverly hidden in the "Options" menu Tongue

ChevyRay
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »

I don't know, I'd just prefer to code things myself for the sake of learning, since I can't take myself seriously as a programmer if I use something like Game Maker.
That's why it's great being someone like me who isn't interested in being a programmer Grin I just wanna make kickass games. Much better that way. I get all the same feeling of accomplishment because I'm so low on the technical, computer-science scale that I don't even have software to stick my nose up at Smiley

It's cleverly hidden in the "Options" menu
:D
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:53 PM »

Yeah, but Full Screen shouldn't be a menu option, it should be default on or off, or told immediately on the title screen.  People like myself hate having our desktop clutter around games because it takes away from the atmosphere.  I'd rather have a tiny playing window with a huge amount of black space around it that I would my desktop.

And I definitely agree with the whole programmer thing; I couldn't care less if all I can do is script, I've got games to design!
ChevyRay
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »

Fullscreen should always be an option, man. Games that do it without asking piss me off. Games that change resolution without warning piss me off more.

You can't assume the player wants something like that, though. That's like assuming they're gonna want to use the keys you assigned, which is also something that nobody ever puts in options for Cool

Anyhow, another discussion for another time :D
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »

Well, I think this discussion deserves a thread.  Create it and I'd be happy to provide some insights (like how atmospheric games MUST be in fullscreen to achieve properly achieve their goal of atmosphere).
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »

Fullscreen should always be an option, man. Games that do it without asking piss me off. Games that change resolution without warning piss me off more.

You can't assume the player wants something like that, though. That's like assuming they're gonna want to use the keys you assigned, which is also something that nobody ever puts in options for Cool

God, yes.  I run a dual monitor set up and theres nothing worse than playing a game that changes my primary monitor to 320 x 240 without asking and completely fucking over all of my windows.

Also, Game Maker has problems with dual monitors and full screen.  It will switch the first monitor to the resolution needed by the game... then display the game on the second monitor which is still running in it's desktop resolution.  What the hell?

--

ANYWAY.  I use MMF2.  And I wish I didn't have to.  I are trying to learn enuff programman to use Allegro or OpenGL or SDL!  :D
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »

God, yes.  I run a dual monitor set up and theres nothing worse than playing a game that changes my primary monitor to 320 x 240 without asking and completely fucking over all of my windows.

Also, Game Maker has problems with dual monitors and full screen.  It will switch the first monitor to the resolution needed by the game... then display the game on the second monitor which is still running in it's desktop resolution.  What the hell?

--

ANYWAY.  I use MMF2.  And I wish I didn't have to.  I are trying to learn enuff programman to use Allegro or OpenGL or SDL!  :D

That only happens in poorly coded GM games actually. You can have GM work fine in dual monitors if you do it correctly. I use two monitors myself and I noticed that most GM games fail with dual monitors, but the ones I make seem to work fine with them. I suspect that the failing GM games are either switching resolution through GM's 'options' instead of through GML, or switching to 'full screen mode' *before* waiting for the resolution to completely change (it takes a second or two on most computers, and you need to give it that time).

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2008, 06:08:12 AM »

I loved Untitled Story. Smiley Except for the tiny screen bit, but oh well.
You can full-screen it; that option is buried in a menu somewhere.

Oh, I know that. But a long time ago (i.e. last year), my boss bribed me with a widescreen monitor and the full screen of Untitled Story didn't care for it (I forgot specifics, but I just know I ended up having to play it windowed). Actually, I found a lot of games didn't like the widescreen full screen mode which is why I started putting those modes into my game (at least to avoid distortion). My laptop has a stupid resolution (1400 by something) which creates different problems, but its a Linux-only machine so I can't play most games on it.
Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

After seeing some posts in this thread about conscruct, I HAD to download it.
After a couple of minutes of messing around in it I can say I LOVE it  Kiss
I'm no good with programming or any of that stuff so usually I get nowhere with game making programs, but Construct just seems very easy to make quality games =]
Hopefully I'll be able to release a game sometime soon.  Gentleman
DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2008, 12:23:18 AM »

RPG Maker 2000 was an excellent tool, extremely well designed (so much that it's considered TOO easy, as a childish toy). Back then it introduced me to game making in a brilliant way.

Right now I'm using Torque (both TGB and TGE), and I like it (I seem to be the only guy on earth who actually LIKE Torque xD). It is powerful and very usable once you got around the few bugs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:56:08 AM by DragonSix » Logged
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2008, 06:59:10 AM »

RPG Maker 2000 was an excellent tool, extremely well designed (so much that it's considered TOO easy, as a childish toy). Back then it introduced me to game making in a brilliant way.

I don't suppose you'd know how to get games made with it to play in a window, would you?
DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »

In fact I do, it's F4.
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2008, 07:02:56 AM »

Thank you! My laptop has a widescreen resolution and always makes the games look horrible and blurry.
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »

Actually, I found a lot of games didn't like the widescreen full screen mode which is why I started putting those modes into my game (at least to avoid distortion).

This is usually a monitor or video driver setting.  My nvidia control panel has a section called "GPU Scaling Method" where I can pick Stretched, Centered, or Aspect Ratio Scaled.  Scaled is the good one.  I don't even know why Stretched exists, it looks universally horrible.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
RayRayTea
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2009, 09:45:13 AM »

I use TGF2 which is basically a stripped down and affordable version of MMF so I voted for MMF. The way the events are weaved together is fantastic, but not to everyone's taste. It gives me more freedom and control over my project than I'll ever need in making games. If only it weren't so creaky and patched together!

Clickteam are heading in a direction that I'm sure makes financial sense for them (heavily pushing their software in schools by outright lying "no need to program" which is just the thing some people there want to hear), it'll be interesting to see where they're going with the next release.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »

October 11, 2008

Bit old thread... Anyway, I use Construct myself.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »

I have played around with a few different things, I do like GameMaker and Flash, but I am also enjoying learning C++ and SDL. I am not really an artist or even a very good game designer, I am infact much more interested in the technical programming side of things, so I will be looking to make my own engine.
mirosurabu
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2009, 04:13:19 PM »

Scirra's Construct is awesome.

I'm C++ programmer myself and I'm not using C++ for game development since december last year. (though I do use Flash and Python for one project)
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2009, 07:04:48 PM »

Wow, I can't believe that I am the only person who uses jGame (http://www.13thmonkey.org/~boris/jgame/).  It is the shit.  It makes game development sooooo smooth and easy.  Of course, jgame is limited to 2D, and that could be a big limitation for some of you.  Personally, I barely have the skills to make 2D graphics, let alone 3D, so I am perfectly happy sticking with two dimensions.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic