Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:43:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Zodiac Gate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: The Zodiac Gate  (Read 22891 times)
Chris Pavia
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »

Thanks for the kind words all Smiley
Chris Pavia
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »

I hate writing asset lists. You don't realize how much work you still have to do until you write it all down! I hope I can find a decent animator when I'm done with all the characters.  Beg
Chris Pavia
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »

I updated the first post with a more detailed breakdown of my progress with the game.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »

Here's the main menu art. The badly-beveled design elements on the sides are placeholder.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »

As an xmas gift for my wife, I've redesigned the female character in her likeness. Say hello to TeLina the Archer!

If anyone is interested, the fighter's name is Brand, the Healer is August, and I haven't decided on a name for the mage yet.
Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »

A Giant Rat appeared! No textures yet.
Even without textures this Gian Rat looks awesome.
I like your style
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:52:20 AM by Nuprahtor » Logged

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Chris Pavia
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 06:13:08 AM »

Thanks Smiley
Chris Pavia
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »

Here are a couple environment shots (all art is placeholder):

I am currently using 2 algorithms for the level generation. One creates dungeon type levels broken up into rooms and corridors, and the other creates more random cave type levels.

Currently each level has an entry, exit, and chest containing a key to the exit. I will probably add more doors/keys to each level to make them more interesting to navigate. I've considered adding traps, but I want to keep the roguelike elements very light. Can anyone recommend a game with a simple trap system that allows the player to see them coming and somehow disarm/avoid them? The interactions would have to be very simple.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »

Looking very pretty!

One interesting kind of traps would be the ones in ClaDun. Not really the same genre, but it might give you some ideas.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »

Wow the dungeon reminds me of Link to the past, but with an awesome 3d remix,
guessing that you use blender or 3DS MAX? anyways,
great update, keep em coming!
 Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:57:12 PM by kitheif » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

That ClaDun game looks pretty awesome!  Is it out yet?

Spider time!

Still got some details to work out on him, but he's pretty much complete. He's the last character in need of modeling, so now I'll focus on texturing.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 07:08:48 AM »

I think it's been out for a while, actually. Unless my friends are playing Japanese imports or ROMs.

Which is not entirely unfeasible.

Anyway, that spider is awesome. I'm really looking forward to playing this.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »

Cool, I'll have to track it down. Maybe when I get some characters textured and animated I can put out a demo of just the battle portion so I can get some feedback on it.
funfactotum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 11:14:46 PM »

Hey, i like your low poly technique very much! It seems pretty efficient! What is your averagy poly/tris count per character?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 12:47:15 AM »

This is looking pretty nice!  And the combat system sounds interesting.  Looking forward to it.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »

Hey, i like your low poly technique very much! It seems pretty efficient! What is your averagy poly/tris count per character?

For the most part they are between 1500 and 2k triangles. I could probably go higher since there won't be more than 5 characters on screen at once, but my content creation time would also go up considerably.

As for a progress update if anyone is interested, I've been unwrapping all the characters in preparation for texturing, which doesn't make for exciting screenshots. Only one more to go! Luckily I have next week off of work, so I'm hoping to have the four party members textured by the end of it (depending on how much time I have to spend with the fam).
funfactotum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »

Hey Chris, i know what you feel  Crazy .  UW unwrapping is such painful but very important part especially in low poly game models! I am too off work for a 10 days, but still family duty and pleasure calls! It is hard to have a family and job, and in the same time to be a creative common!  Screamy

Chris Pavia
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »

I know what you mean, my wife wants to start trying for a kid in 2011. I'm scared of what will happen to my free time!

As for unwrapping, using a pelt-like unwrapper (like UVLayout or Roadkill) makes things go much faster.
funfactotum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »

I am pretty happy with Blender UV unwrapping capabilities, it has sove very powerful tools to do that. I do not beleive in any kind of automatic UV unwrapping - when games low poly models considered!

Kids are great joy and really enrich one's life to maximum (i have three - all boys!). Though it can be painful and time consuming, later they can help you with games - be sure in that Smiley

Chris Pavia
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »

very minor update, I forgot to post a pic of Brand the Fighter's Sword:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic