Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:22:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Naija [DONE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Naija [DONE]  (Read 55799 times)
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »

Naija's portrait, does Derek aproves?  Gentleman
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »

I made minor edits on both portraits Smiley. (Far left and far right)

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:49 AM »

Looks great! Beer!

I think there are some things I like better about Inane's and some I like better about the original... I'll let Nightshade make the call on this one.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 02:17:53 AM »

edit of inane's edit
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »

edit of inane's edit

My edit of everyone's edit

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 03:03:17 AM »

Looks good, but a bit too serious.

I'd say more like this:
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »

edit of inane's edit

We have a winner i think
Xenophobe
Level 0

wat fk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »

I'd say more like this:

Y SO SRS?
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »

I'd say more like this:

Y SO SRS?

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
godsavant
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »

I just played the build, and here are my two cents:

-Naija's whirlpool seems to be a poor recovery move; it doesn't go very high, executes slowly, and doesn't give you the directional power of Beast Charge, which seems to be an equal if not better recovery.

-Customizable controls are a plus; I found her Seed attack to be awkward, since 'throw seed' is a different button from 'generate seed'. A better idea would be to tap the same button again to throw. (i.e. Princess Peach's turnip technique)

-The seed's damage area is huge! Naija players can essentially wall off large portions of the stage as 'damage zones'.

-There seems to be no reason to use her single-shot projectile when there is a three-shot projectile w/ virtually the same charge-up time.

-The powerful knockback from most of the attacks seems to frustrate many of the people I play with; they complain that, for a game that relies on health depletion over KO's, it seems more feasible to go the Smash Bros approach and send people flying. Not that it's bad, but I think we need either less knockback, or less health.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

I think we just need more health
and naija's single shot has the sime charge-up time, but the cool-down time is less than the three shot (or at least it seemed that way)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

-Naija's whirlpool seems to be a poor recovery move; it doesn't go very high, executes slowly, and doesn't give you the directional power of Beast Charge, which seems to be an equal if not better recovery.
This  is true, but I don't see it as much of a problem. Whirlpool has other uses besides recovery.

-Customizable controls are a plus; I found her Seed attack to be awkward, since 'throw seed' is a different button from 'generate seed'. A better idea would be to tap the same button again to throw. (i.e. Princess Peach's turnip technique)
The framework for customizing controls is there (it can be easily done with the gmk file), but there's not yet an options screen. On the subject of the seed attack- I was thinking that it might be a good idea to allow both attack buttons to be used to throw.

-The seed's damage area is huge! Naija players can essentially wall off large portions of the stage as 'damage zones'.
That was the idea. But since the time it takes to summon the seeds is long, and the plants don't last long, I don't think it's overpowered. Did you find otherwise?

-There seems to be no reason to use her single-shot projectile when there is a three-shot projectile w/ virtually the same charge-up time.
The single shot takes about 2/3 the amount of time to fire, so its better at large ranges, where the 3-shot spread is too inaccurate. But yeah, these attacks are pretty redundant. I can't think of much to replace one of them with, though.

-The powerful knockback from most of the attacks seems to frustrate many of the people I play with; they complain that, for a game that relies on health depletion over KO's, it seems more feasible to go the Smash Bros approach and send people flying. Not that it's bad, but I think we need either less knockback, or less health.
More health might be better than less- then it will be more SSB-style, but with a health limit for when things start getting too ridiculous.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »

Actually, Peach pulls out her turnips with B and throws them with A, just like Naija. But anyway, the reason it's like that is because the Spike Seed isn't going to be the only item in the game. Most people (well, me at least) will find it more intuitive to pick up and throw items with A, so that carries over to summoned items like the Spike Seed. You could use either button to throw but that cuts down the player's options somewhat while he's holding an item.

Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 01:39:36 AM »

we could take an approach of rather than health we just have kills so your aim is to try and knock them off for points rather than take there health away.....dunno just a suggestion.

DO THE R.O.B!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 01:57:49 AM »

I think that would be too 'SMASH BROS RIPOFF'. Besides, I like the idea of having some closed stages. Of course, we might have to invent some mechanic to prevent endless wall juggles.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 06:34:25 AM »

you know, i've played the engine test (08/16) and i kinda think it's flawed.  playing as naija against other people, i think will become BEAST CHARGE BEAST CHARGE BEAST CHARGE.  i only think this because the other attacks are very underpowered in comparison, and beast charge allows for fast movement while dealing good damage as well, so it's the best move to use, and thus people will use it all the time.  also, it's almost impossible to do the kick.. you have to be standing still.  this is sad for me because the kicking animation is so awesome that i want to see it more and be able to actually use it.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 09:10:56 AM »

i only think this because the other attacks are very underpowered in comparison,
How so? Beast Charge is probably the most solid, consistent attack, but I didn't feel that the other attacks were underpowered.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »

underpowered, for me, doesn't necessarily refer to damage dealt but also ease of use.  beast charge is the move that is easiest to use while dealing good damage and allowing for movement.  the seed throw is also easy to use, but it deals very low damage.  the seed spike isn't exactly a melee move that you would use all the time, and you have to be standing still to use the kicking moves.  so, as a result, since this type of game is all about moving and attacking at the same time, the kicks aren't really that useful, and the most used moves will be the ones that give players the ability to move as well as deal damage.  i'm not sure how to rectify this problem right now, but i think it's a big problem, personally, and we need to fix it with naija before moving on to other characters and hitting similar brick walls.

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 12:12:59 PM »

It feels to rigid really, and yeah I agree it's basically beast charge x infinity.

Or if you feel like being cheap, you can use the seed of doom and keep throwing it at your feet and bouncing around like that. Maybe there shouldn't be a thing such as ring out?
medieval
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:51 PM »

It feels to rigid really, and yeah I agree it's basically beast charge x infinity.

Or if you feel like being cheap, you can use the seed of doom and keep throwing it at your feet and bouncing around like that. Maybe there shouldn't be a thing such as ring out?
I think ring out should only decrease your HP.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic