Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:23:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions3x $1000 YoYo Games Steam Competitions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3x $1000 YoYo Games Steam Competitions  (Read 2262 times)
True Valhalla
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:02 AM »

After hints of upcoming official GameMaker competitions and the recent addition of Steam Workshop support, YoYo Games have announced three competitions in collaboration with Valve. The series of competitions, to be held between October and December, will award USD $1000 to the sole winner of each event.

More info

I think there will be some controversy over the rules, which don't seem to limit entries to games created within the month.
Ant
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:19:06 AM »

Yeah seems like it's just an attempt to get some of the better classics up on Workshop, which is understandable I guess and probably spells the end for the YoYo Sandbox. I read a while back that it's a complete hassle updating older games to Studio though, even from 8.1, so maybe you won't see stuff like Karoshi or Untitled Story.

I really hate how they've split it into three comps with a game only being able to be entered into one of them. Winning becomes more of a roulette based on just who happened to enter that particular comp. I don't know why they didn't just make a single big comp and award prizes for first, second and third.
True Valhalla
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:50:44 AM »

I understand their motive for wanting to populate Workshop with quality GM games but the way they've disguised this as a competition is misleading. There's no challenge here. The winner will be whichever developer that ports the best existing game. That's not fun, and since I already know I don't have the best existing game there's no incentive for me to enter.

Porting games from GM8.1 or lower to GM:S is hellish, but people have a month to do so and as a result I expect to see popular games ported, and ultimately take the prize pool.

This announcement has been a disappointment for me.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:36:27 AM »

what's the difference between the "workshop" and greenlight, if I have a good GM game, why wouldn't I put it on GL rather than the WS ?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
True Valhalla
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:59:16 AM »

I guess it's a place to put non-commercial games. They're actually getting a surprisingly high amount of plays given how awkward it is to actually access them.
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »

I'm just going by my interpretation of the information posted here but one winner competitions don't sound fun at all.  I've even had slight misgivings about contests with 1rst-3rd place only.  I really liked the TIGSource contests as I could see how well I placed - even if I wasn't skilled enough to get 1rst-5th.

Even still, I'm weary of YoYo Games antics.  I've seen message censorship on their YouTube channels.  I've seen the PSP version go from homebrew dream to select developer only.  Not a way to instill loyalty in indie developers.  Oh, and there's also the weirdness of their EULA.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:13:11 AM by Moon Goon » Logged

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic