Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411615 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 06:17:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)an inquiry for 2D artists
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: an inquiry for 2D artists  (Read 2529 times)
Karel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »

Hey guys,

I am currently setting up a business plan, and in that context, I need some information from an experienced 2D artist. I am myself a game designer and programmer, and I find it hard to get an idea of how time it will take for a 2D artist to produce what I have in mind. Note that this is not a recruitment thread (yet), I am still in the process of setting up a business plan. I have talked to several (very) interested investors, but they need more information on the graphics part of my business plan.

The game I have in mind is a top-down 2D game with graphics in the style of heroes of might and magic. The artist will mainly be occupied with drawing and animating 2D creatures and drawing (mostly static) landscape assets. But I also expect of the artist to put in his own creative vision, because I want him to be a partner, not a freelancer. So the creatures need to be designed as well, based on a vague description I will be giving, or given complete freedom. What I am concretely looking for is an idea of how long it will take an average 2D artist to design, draw and animate a 2D sprite with the level of detail of the following screenshot from HOMM3:

All information is welcome! If you have the time to have a short chat with me on this subject, send me a PM and we'll get in touch through for a chat. Otherwise, you can just post in this topic and that will work as well.

Thanks!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »

these sprites are prerendered 3D it would be difficult to achieve the same level of detail+animations in pure drawn 2D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GregTaylorArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:07:01 AM »

I had some very similar work earlier this year... (even the same game as reference hehe).

The icons take 1 hour(ish).  To animate, depends how many frames, 4 frame may be a couple of hours though it takes me a little longer sometimes.

Karel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:55:59 AM »

Are you using 3D modelling, or is this pixel art? They're looking great!
GregTaylorArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »

Thanks Smiley... those ones are simply transparent png's done in photoshop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic