Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 04:36:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel art filter?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art filter?  (Read 2140 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:55:41 AM »

I wonder if this filter exist in some pixel art program.
When I draw pixel art with Paint.net, I usually draw with a pencil(the one pixel width tool?) with a free hand.
This way I get the proportion and general shape I want, but it produce lines that have some places with more than 1 pixel width. Notebley, in diagonal lines.
The next step for me is to just "clean" the first sketch, many times I just erase those few(but numerous) spots where I have more than one pixel width parts.

I wonder, is there some filter that makes your sketch have only one pixel width?

Master of all trades.
RCIX
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »

I know for me doing pixel art in Photoshop I just use the pencil tool (which doesn't antialias lines). Does Paint.Net have something similar?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »

That's what s/he's doing afaik.
You could probably make such a filter yourself, you'd just have to work out what algorithm you undertake to "clean" the work. I'm not aware of one in existance now though.

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »

graphics gale has a setting (at least in the current beta) called "sensitivity" which will allow for easier creation of 1 pixel lines with the brush. It only really works when you draw kinda fast though. If you do it slowly it'll think you want more pixels in that space and not optimize it for a line.

But post-production effects, I am not aware. Might want to hit up the folks on pixelation, there are some programmers there who dabble in pixel filters, trying to automate AA etc, and they're likely to know if there are algorithms for this already/how to create one.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:33:07 AM »

Morphological thinning sounds like what you want. I have no idea of any paint programs that implement it. Most don't bother with morphological operations beyond erode and dilate.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
im9today
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:47:02 AM »

you can do this in idraw3 but really it would be better practice to just make rough frames and then clean them up
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »

I think I will just a write such a plug in for Paint.net(didn't find anything that does that in the plugins index).

Master of all trades.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »

GIMP does it automatically when you use the pencil (no anti-aliasing) and use a brush with a size of 1 pixel large.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 02:47:43 AM »

That's not the problem solarlune - OP is talking about this:

"Cleaning" a line that you drew with the pencil tool.

If GIMP somehow magically does this now I haven't seen it. I guess I usually pixel pixel by pixel so the smoother lines are lost to me.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »

Ah, I see. Sorry about that - I thought you meant when drawing a line with the Shift-click function. I guess there's no function for this by default.  Shrug

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic