Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:38:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Tips on spriting animals or mythical creatures
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tips on spriting animals or mythical creatures  (Read 2152 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »

I have made a "Dragon Snake" for my game, but it doesn't look as good as my other human sprites.

What I want to ask\discuss are how to draw animals or non human creatures?
Humans MIGHT be easier to draw because we are more familiar with them and their shape. Also, you can always have yourself as a reference to draw a human.
But with animals and creatures, I think it's more difficult to get their shape right and in different postures.
Do you have tips to how to draw animals\non human creatures?
Maybe always have animal references? How to draw their fur and skin?

Master of all trades.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »

Always check references when you're not sure about something, or when something seems off.  Pay attention to anatomy, especially in the legs, and how shiny or dull the skin/scales/feathers/fur can be.

hi
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:13:32 AM »

also if its a mythical creature, most are inspired by real creatures that you can use as reference.

minotaur - Bull
dragon   - Komodo Dragon
griffon  - lion and eagle.

Also google images is your friend, I usually have a folder for any creature I am trying to draw and I collect a wide variety of art styles, just because an image isnt in your style doesnt mean something in the picture wont give you an idea.

and to crit the dragon:
1. I would give him a ground plane. the man and lady are standing on something, but the dragon has nothing, this is making him look out of place. second its a pretty boring pose. although the human poses are not super actiony. they are interesting and have a good silhouette. I would say get the whole body in before you do any shading. Maybe even drawing each piece in a different color so you can see the structure.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »

The dragon's perspective is off as well. Its back legs are on two separate surfaces - the front one is on an inclined surface, while the furthest back is on roughly the same surface as the one closer to the 'camera'.

Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:22:40 AM »

Dragon design doesn't sucks. The perspective is. The leg are weird. Do not try to separate the left and right legs so much.

In your picture, it's as if the dragon is trying to walk without bending its knees
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »

Yea, it actually looks like it doesn't have knees at all, heh.

Master of all trades.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »

Personally, I find animals easier to draw than humans.

I could probably draw up a few general pointers I've learned on drawing/spriting animals, but I'm certainly no expert on the subject.  I dunno, It may or may not be helpful.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 03:57:18 AM »

For better identification you might want to sustain some common characteristics as seen in heraldic or iconic depictions.

http://www.humi.mita.keio.ac.jp/treasures/nature/Gesner-web/contents_b.html is an interesting source for animal depictions.
http://www.humi.mita.keio.ac.jp/treasures/nature/Gesner-web/snake/html/normal/l101.html
http://www.humi.mita.keio.ac.jp/treasures/nature/Gesner-web/snake/html/normal/l077.html

btw I don't think many older dragon depictions are inspired by Komodo Dragons. Most of them seem to be a mix of various predators and saurians (lions, wolves, snakes, crocodiles, lizards, eagles...).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:10:49 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic