Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 01:54:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)games and art
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: games and art  (Read 16233 times)
Uykered
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2011, 04:23:30 AM »

That cloud princess in Adventure Time is pretty lumpy too!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2011, 08:05:07 AM »

i might be with you if you had a game to talk about that was actually as interesting as all the literary works and films you keep pointing out but passage (of all fucking "games" (hold right button (wait dont you like sonic too i am seeing a pattern))) is nowhere near that level
Where did gimmy say passage was as good as these literary works and films?

And where did he try to "legitimize playing mario" or w/e? he's made a ton of posts calling these games kitsch lol

im9today
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »

maybe you should read my post again but more carefully
Nix
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »

passage is the game equivalent of a short but moving poem. I don't think a game exists yet that can be compared to great works of literature. I don't doubt, however, that a game will come along to fill that role. the medium simply hasn't matured enough yet. Even then, there will always be the "grocery store romance novels" of games, which is more or less all there is right now.
im9today
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »

passage is the game equivalent of a short but moving poem. I don't think a game exists yet that can be compared to great works of literature. I don't doubt, however, that a game will come along to fill that role. the medium simply hasn't matured enough yet. Even then, there will always be the "grocery store romance novels" of games, which is more or less all there is right now.
so do you actually read poetry because passage isnt even close to any poetry worth reading
i dont know what to compare it to, maybe some korn lyrics that people thought made a lot of sense when they were 13? even that isnt fair because as shitty as korn was/is at least it took some sort of musicianship to produce
theres nothing to compare passage to because it was never worth discussing, everyone that wants "indie" video games to be art is just looking for something anything to grab onto and showcase as something deserving. they could have picked anything, theres nothing outstanding about passage that hasnt been done over and over
what does passage do that this game doesnt:

same ideas, probably done better in fact 
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »

I like Adventure Time. I prefer it to whatever the heck was posted before. I don't care if it is not as worthy of being called "art" or whatever he was trying to imply.

Same with games. I like them. If they aren't seen as artsy as a painting, novel, or poem, I'm not too worried. It isn't going to stop me from enjoying them.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »

according to gamejolt this game came out in 2009 while passage came out in something like 06 or 07 iirc. so maybe when passage first arrived on the scene this whole "sappy indie fartgame with sad piano music" thing hadn't been done to death yet. not defending passage just saying.
Nix
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »

wait no passage looks dumb i was thinking of a different game (that one with the old lady in the graveyard) I wasn't following the conversation but thought I'd pop in to try to sound intelligent anyway
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »

Isn't Graveyard just the ending of Passage done in 3D?
Nix
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »

visuals are as important as prose
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »

Good, I don't disagree with I9today rebuttal  Giggle

also shitty art games
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/568481
Funny that an "art games anti art" games is better and richer than most "art games" while hitting all the tropes and convention  of the "genre".

It's sad that art games as a genre have evolve in the same direction than the game they criticize, narrow number of theme and derivative mechanics, that's where criticism is fair, what's is unfair is to toss the goal altogether because of execution.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:28:42 PM by Gimmy TILBERT » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »

Yeah. What he said. Games mostly suck and aren't ready to be and may never be as capable an art form as others that have been passed down through history.

If they do get better, it won't be because of me anyway. ha So whatever.

Like guiz... Art used to be this.

Now it's pretty much this.

I mean no offense to pendelton ward. But come on. We as humans have fallen very short of our prior ideals. I feel like just about every facet of our humanity -save innovation in things like technology and medicine- is a broken down skeleton of it's former self.

More like, use to be

And now is

Also that advenyture time image is so much more complex in composition and in range of expression that this old painting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:45:58 PM by Gimmy TILBERT » Logged

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2011, 12:11:51 AM »

Good, I don't disagree with I9today rebuttal  Giggle

also shitty art games
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/568481
Funny that an "art games anti art" games is better and richer than most "art games" while hitting all the tropes and convention  of the "genre".

It's sad that art games as a genre have evolve in the same direction than the game they criticize, narrow number of theme and derivative mechanics, that's where criticism is fair, what's is unfair is to toss the goal altogether because of execution.
Talking about anti-art games -  this one is really awesome for me (I am big fan of art-games/notgames/whatever it is called)

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2011, 01:26:41 AM »

but...

Facepalm
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »

There's a lot of nitpicking one can get into about what makes "good art", but it isn't always beneficial to debate the details, unless you bear in mind that the details may differ on a project-by-project basis.

However, I think the most important thing when creating anything worthwhile, is not to sit down and thing "I want to create an art." There should be a drive behind what you do, a sense of a goal or purpose, and you should merely do whatever it is that you need to do to reach this goal. And along the way, hopefully make your judgements based on "good" taste (or at least "relevant" taste).

If you are successful, you may wind up with something great.

My goals are to make something that is in some way important, something that may benefit another person's life, or at least encourage a degree of discussion or thought.

There are plenty of kinds of "art" that negatively impact the world. Music is especially riddled with these problems. It seems like an industry that is mostly fueled by negative human drama. Sometimes these songs can be a cathartic or healing experience, but often times they glamorize drama, and empower people to remain in an immature emotional state (that then distracts them from many positive opportunities).

So, I guess my post dodges the question. I'm less concerned with "what is art?" and more concerned with "why is what I am doing important?" Sometimes this comes from emotional/philosophical expression, but not always.

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
im9today
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »

ok
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »

Contributing to society through a forum. It's like, probably not possible because everyone could have any sort of motivation for saying everything they say. Everyone on here could be a troll pretending to care because it gives them a sense of control over something. Any positive change to a person that occurs in this wonderland would be completely random and uncontributable to any person.
Meaning and motivation are lost in text. Go talk about this crap with a real person.

Here I go derailing a thread.

I think im9todays opinion is correct. (if it actually was his opinion) Games are lyk dumb. Go write a book or something.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:19:35 PM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »

Or make interesting game that goes beyond the usual gamer culture.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »

Offtopic: why did you delete your account im9today, you were one of my favorite users. Sad

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic