Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 12:42:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)This thread contains a plea for help (includes my horrible pixel art)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: This thread contains a plea for help (includes my horrible pixel art)  (Read 1716 times)
Generally Cliched
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »

So I have come to the conclusion that I have absolutely no idea what my definitive pixel art style should be.  Also, I suck at pixel art.

Currently I'm experimenting with a simplistic, vibrant style that many would automatically categorize as "lazy".  I wish to know how I can make my art not suck (see image).

An old attempt at some platform game character sprites.

EDIT Whoops, looks like I didn't post this in the Workshop board.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:24:28 AM by Generally Cliched » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »

I wish to know how I can make my art not suck (see image).
Practice.  Try doing some figure drawing. 
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »

Rather than worrying about what style you're going for, wouldn't it be better to go with whatever you're most comfortable with?

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »

You don't decide what your "definitive" style will be, you just have a style.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »

your characters lack personality
don't worry about drawing style

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Generally Cliched
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »

Well, okay, I do have some sense of what my style is like--I lean towards a cartoony, "animesque" style, using simple shapes and minimal colors.  Originally I wanted to go for a more realistic style, but then I realized that realistic art is hard on both my eyes and my patience. 

Also, realism in games is overrated. 

Still, I think my biggest problem right now is the shading detail.  I am absolutely clueless as to how shading works--do objects in shadow become less or more saturated?  Which lighting angle would make objects stand out the most?  How much should objects "blend" if one obscures the other?
Thardus
Level 0

Zoooom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »

your characters lack personality
More than anything, I think this is a problem. Your character is ramrod straight with little or no distinguishing features. No wonder you're having trouble shading - there's no VARIANCE to play with the light. Convincing shading is about how the light plays across a surface, and yours might as well be a peice of cardboard for all the depth it has.

I took some time and did a little experiment to see if I could explain how to make a more interesting character.

0. Here's your original.

Step 1, I'm changing the pose. The original tells us almost NOTHING about what kind of character this is. After looking closely at the sprite, I noticed his shirt seems a little bit thick; I decided this was a hoodie. How about a slacker, then? Baggy pants, hoodie, hands in his pockets, leaning over forward. That has so much more personality to it.

Looking at that pose, you instantly understand something about who this character is - his body language says it all. I've also darkened the inner portion of the shirt to make it easier to tell apart from the sleeve.

2. Now it's time to make him less flat. Get rid of that helmet hair! No one wants to see that. There's nothing interesting about helmet hair. Instead I'm giving him some longish hair for a boy, reinforcing the slacker look. Also dropped some bangs down, which makes him seem messy.

Next, A simple accessory - a backpack. This not only tells us more about him (He's probably going to school) but adds interest and distinctiveness to his sillhouette. It'll also give us something fun to animate later. In addition, I'm tagging on a seam line to his sleeve, as this makes it much easier to tell where his arm is and what it's doing, in addition to looking nice.

3. Now for colors. You're using a lot of bright saturated colors for your character, and then his torso is a dull grey. I'm not really a fan of this color selection. It draws a huge amount of attention to his legs and shoes, with the heavy saturation.

I've gone for a desaturated reddish motif here. The backpack is green, the complementary color of red, to add some nice contrast. Notice how it's easy to tell his individual bits apart, but when you squint, his whole body forms a clean sillhouette? This is a huge deal. The colors unify him, making a unit, rather than a bunch of unattached parts.

You'll notice things are quite dark all of a sudden - the reason for this is that I like to start dark and shade lighter. I think it puts you in a more sensical mindset for this sort of thing than starting light and shading darker.

4. Now the final step, shading. this could be a whole explanation in itself, but I'll try to go over the important parts. Things you want to keep in mind are Contrast, Readability, and Light Direction. I've put a little sun in place showing you a rough light direction, but I'll be frank - I'm cheating the light direction bit here. The important thing to keep in mind is that light is your tool for making the sprite have DEPTH. That is what you are trying to accomplish. The "belly" area on hoodies tends to bulge out, so I'm defining it a bit with light. Similarly, I've drawn light down the front of the pants and then broken it up with "folds" of darkness. In the bottom right I've got a sketch of the kind of logic that went into shading the pants. It's really all cylinders, when you think of it.

With the hair, the bangs are key - you don't want to get overzealous with hair highlights or you'll make him look like a girl. This is especially true with black hair. The backpack I've given just enough light to define its shape, and the sleeves are barely even shaded at all - it's okay to leave things flat sometimes, especially if they already have detailing on them. The face is just a quick outline of darkness, with a bit more underneath the bangs; barely more than a pillow shade, but it gets the job done when your face is so simplistic.

You'll notice I also did a few touchups to the final one; couldn't help myself. Sometimes intuition is what you need, and it pays to frequently zoom way out and look at the sprite at "natural" resolution for your own sake. That, more than anything, will make it extremely clear when something isn't looking right, or blending together confusingly, or just ugly. Clarity and harmony are key.

Hopefully at least some of this makes sense!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:09:25 AM by Thardus » Logged
Thardus
Level 0

Zoooom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 01:43:42 AM »

And for fun:
Generally Cliched
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:35 AM »

...Well.

All I have to say is that THIS IS AMAZING.  I was worried that I wouldn't get much professional feedback, but it looks like you've proved me wrong on that one!

I suppose I could experiment with what you've given me; perhaps try to recreate what you just did.  "Reverse-engineering", you might say.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »

Man, Thardus went really in-depth. I went for another take on the character. I hope that was okay.  Embarrassed

And yes, that's a Kingdom Hearts reference.  Big Laff

I also saw the hand-in-pocket pose, and decided to give him a more cocky, confident feel, pushing him over, like he doesn't care about his posture, as well. After going for a couple of different possible looks with him being thin or muscular, I chose to make him thin and after changing his shirt color, eventually decided to give him a hoody as well - this part took me the longest, from deciding what color to give his shirt to deciding to finally go with my white and red hoody feeling that I had. The pants in the second-to-last image had too much contrast in it, so I fixed it in the last image. His hair was too bright in the second-to-last image, as well.

It's interesting that besides the hair color, he's essentially the same character as Thardus's, but just drawn differently (and more poorly :p).

I think that mostly, you just need definition, like Thardus said. For example, the original hairstyle was quite static, but also didn't have any sideburns, or an ear. Also notice that you generally don't want a straight-side perspective - usually, you want a character who's turned slightly toward the camera to give some depth.

EDIT: Also for kicks.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:33:00 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Thardus
Level 0

Zoooom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »

I suppose I could experiment with what you've given me; perhaps try to recreate what you just did.  "Reverse-engineering", you might say.

Why not try your own take, or a few? Look at what two examples have been done so far and then try to find your own take on making the char look distinct. I think that's the best way to learn Wink
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »

Wow that's awesome.  My Word!

Definitely bookmarking this thread.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »

Great thread,

On topic: try to make ur own sprite making the same steps as Thardus did (he wrote them down especially for you so it'd be out of line to not follow them at least once)  Well, hello there!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic