Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 03:02:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Shadow Colours
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shadow Colours  (Read 1353 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:23 AM »

If Shadow Colours outside in the day time should have a blue tint, does that mean that shadows inside when completely lit by artificial lighting should have more of a orange or yellow hue? Undecided
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:10:31 AM »

If Shadow Colours outside in the day time should have a blue tint, does that mean that shadows inside when completely lit by artificial lighting should have more of a orange or yellow hue? Undecided

Depends of the color of the artificial light, and especially its K-value unless we talk about  colored light by purpose (which I assume).

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:33:19 AM »

Well technically, shadows aren't blue, it's that everything that's lit is tinted slightly yellow-orange by the sun.  (thus shadows seem indigo-bluer in comparison)  With a standard lightbulb, the same tint is going to be there, but a little more drastic because the light source is dimmer.

hi
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »

One thing we always did in painting class was contrasting temperatures also. If we had a warmer color like a nice yellow for a light source giving us a warmer colored highlight, we would have a cooler colored blue shadow. this also works the other way, cool lights warm shadows. I would also suggest against using pure blacks unless you need too. there are no pure blacks in most of the world.

anonymous
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »

Try painting an egg in different light.  You'll notice there's a lot more that's going on than just a white [#FFF] egg.  It will be tinted green, or yellow, or blue, or red, not plain white.   
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »

I don't think you really need to get so technical with it. Pick colors that look good. I usually try to cool my shadows and warm my highlights.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »

Well, the reason direct light is warmer and shadows are cooler, is because direct light comes from the sun which is more of a yellow light. Shadowed areas are not completely dark, they don't have much of direct light but they have ambient light.
Ambient light usually comes from the atmosphere, or the sky, which is kind of bluish. That is why the shadow area have cooler colors, because it comes from the sky.

Master of all trades.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »

Well technically, shadows aren't blue, it's that everything that's lit is tinted slightly yellow-orange by the sun. 

Blue sky adds blue ambient to shadows.
I see

hi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic