Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:06:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting2in
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2in  (Read 4320 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
2in
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:20:09 AM »

just a quick (and very, VERY early) peek into what I've been working on.  It's called 2in and it's a deathmatch game requiring 2 players.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3glgqynmwnm

It's a very similar formula to aoofad/ausable.  I know I'm starting to turn into a one-hit-wonder, but I got plenty of years ahead of me to make all kinds of games, and this just felt right to peruse.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:57:04 AM »

Oooh! THIS looks promising!
I'm a bit of a split-screen/shared-screen multiplayer whore, and after playing a bit ausable and liking the visuals, I actually fantasized a bit about having something similar that could be played in multiplayer^e^
*Downloading now*
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »

Okay, bawk!
I played a bit with myself (no pun intended XP), and here are my comments:
1. Visuals are AWESOME. From the gritty look of the tiles to the glorious death-animations on a flickering screen; this is art. (The flickering could, however, tire your eyes after a long gamesession)
2. Gameplaywise it's no doubt loads of fun to play with a friend, but I suppose it would get very repetitive. This is something that is easily fixed, though! Just add some weapon variations, more stages, more traps (though, the two that I noticed were splendid!) or lava that players not careful enough could get hurt in; but most importantly, add a directional aim-system. -Preferably 8-directional, but 4-directional aiming could also prove more than sufficient (as seen in Anamaton for example).
3. The sound really fits the visuals, I guess, but it's not pleasant to listen to, and might therefore stop people from playing it. It's not that it's "bad" in any way, I just found it terribly annoying after a short while.

All in all, a great beta! I'll be watching this! (-truly looking forward to see what the eyes will be used for!)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:30:40 PM »

don't worry about variety in traps, I have a few real fun ones planned.  Also some powerups, health-regen spots, and teleporters.

I'm going to try having 4 multiplayer maps, and then 4 single player challenges for those who dont like doing 2 player games.

maybe the eyes could be carried to an altar of sorts in each stage.  once placed in the altar it illuminates, providing a score point for the player that carried/threw it?

Also.....I wonder what happens if the gargoyle drops player1 on player2's head?? hmmmmm Wink
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »

That certainly sounds promising!:D
I think the singleplayer stages should include some kind of "tutorial" on the game's different features^^
Could you, perhaps, add some of the enemies/NPC's from your previous games as well? They would make great obstacles, as well as player-friendly allies you could obtain as power ups:D

Talking about dropping on heads; one thing that would surely add more depth to gameplay (I think) would be for the players to be able to jump on each other, making the player who got hit fall to the ground and thus rendered unable to retaliate for the approx. 2 seconds it takes him/her to get back up. *Just an idea;]*
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:20:50 AM »

Looks cool, curious to see if you can maintain an atmosphere in deathmatch.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »

work on 2in has progressed nicely.  I'm thinking about releasing a 2nd beta for people to try in a couple days here.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 05:58:24 AM »

awesome, can't wait. judging by your past endavours this could turn out to be great!

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

you deserve great things, so I'm working my hardest Smiley
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

progress
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:42:39 AM »

New beta?? Blink u Blink
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

I just realized that keyboard ghosting is going to provide a huge problem.  On many keyboards, If there are too many key presses on one board the PC won't register all of them at once. 

This will making running/jumping/shooting feel glitchy and unresponsive if both players are using the same keyboard.

I have no idea how I can fix this, short of telling people "just use 2 keyboards" or "play it with joy2key" and that's going to cut back on how many people will actually be able to play this.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu-  Angry
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:43 PM »

I just realized that keyboard ghosting is going to provide a huge problem.  On many keyboards, If there are too many key presses on one board the PC won't register all of them at once. 

This will making running/jumping/shooting feel glitchy and unresponsive if both players are using the same keyboard.

I have no idea how I can fix this, short of telling people "just use 2 keyboards" or "play it with joy2key" and that's going to cut back on how many people will actually be able to play this.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu-  Angry

Me and my friend have played a lot of multiplayer games in the past, and I can say that keyboard ghosting is much less of a problem than you might expect. There aren't many games in which more than 6 keys total will need to be held down at once. In your game's case, each player will likely press a maximum of 3 keys simultaneously: 2 directional keys and a fire button. That's not enough to cause any sort of ghosting, going by the results of this handy thing: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx

Note that I use a Mac keyboard, which is wired differently from those of PCs, I think, so things might be different, but I can't imagine they'd be unworkable. Even if you give a new key for each player it shouldn't be that bad.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 02:15:25 AM »

Yes, I doubt you'll notice any issues due to ghosting. Have you ever played Super Mario Wars? -I can't think of any 2D-platformer with such speed and accuracy, and even so, I do not notice any difference when playing 2p on 1 keyboard. So don't worry Wink
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »

Interesting style!

Is the name a reference to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE5cHe6c3s#t=5m15s

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »

I thought 2in might be a reference to something more like this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16157113/

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

haha wow, those are both good.  but its just a play on words and numbers.

2in = to win
2in = two in
2in = twin
2in = 2 inches (they're rather small, aren't they?)
Anyways, it could mean any of those, or none of them at all.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »

*BZZZZ* Everyone, get in here

In the tradition of past titles, I'm be making another weird Youtube teaser for 2in.  I could go out and just film everything on my own, but I really want more than just my hands involved in this.  So, how would you like to get involved?

here's what to do:

Get yourself, your friends, whoever and record about 1 minute, dressed in elaborate makeup, masks, robes/kimonos.  Try to film the settings in woodsy or factory type places, Abandoned buildings are also good choices, but make sure they're safe to be in. (I.E sturdy floors, no violent bums, or security guards).  Ideas: Be holding lit candles, or each other's hands, Marching ominously, wearing billowy (lightly colored) clothing that catches and twists in the wind.  Fake blood or food coloring spilling from mouths in close-ups.  If all you have is a web camera, try to set up the backdrop so it doesn't just look like your bedroom, kitchen or office.

Try to film this as soon as you possibly can, I'll be filming my parts here in the next few days.  I hope to have the advert up by this coming week.

Allright, I think that's about it.  Just email the videos to [email protected] be safe, have fun!!

-Amon26
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:54 AM »

So, um. Did you just kill this thing off, or what? Concerned
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic