Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 03:01:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWeathering Hordes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Weathering Hordes  (Read 1183 times)
Raider
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

(updated 3/13/11)

Weathering Hordes is an space-based RTS game with both traditional RTS elements and tower defense elements. Position and upgrade your ships to defend your position, keep hostiles from getting through, or simply survive. Any feedback at all is appreciated, although I'm particularly interested in comments on the gameplay.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?6700qjrc9kpj9jy

Screenshots:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:09:58 AM by Raider » Logged

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »

I gave it a try and its a pretty interesting concept. While playing I was wondering two things:

- is there friendly fire? Some of my ships exploded out of nowhere in the Tutorial and they weren't being fired on by the enemy.
- is there a stop command? Better still in my opinion, giving a different order should either cancel the current order or queue it after the current one. It feels a bit strange to give a move order right on top of the ship just to stop it from moving further.

P.S.:
The music sounds somewhat familiar. I think I've heard it somewhere but don't know where.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »

I also liked the game but was a bit confused by the controls. Left-click to select(but only on ships) and move and right-click to unselect(or select a...one of those places that heals/builds ships) seemed inconsistent. I just felt like one of the buttons should select everything and the other button should move/act with maybe SPACE as a secondary action. Having to use ENTER to lay mines seemed unnecessary.
As for shields, it seems like shields should always be up when you aren't moving, so unless I missed a reason to have them down, they should work automatically. Especially when you first create a ship and it gets blown up by enemies in a second because it was unshielded.
The mechanic of this being like tower defense, and yet having your "towers" have health also causes some problems, like in trying to keep scouts alive by cycling them so they can get healed up again, except when I move them all, their shields are down, so they're in even more peril. I think there are just a few oddities that need to be worked out, most likely on the player's end.
Raider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
is there friendly fire? Some of my ships exploded out of nowhere in the Tutorial and they weren't being fired on by the enemy.
There's no friendly fire but mines will explode if your ships come in contact with them.
is there a stop command? Better still in my opinion, giving a different order should either cancel the current order or queue it after the current one. It feels a bit strange to give a move order right on top of the ship just to stop it from moving further.
Press 'S' to stop a ship (i.e. it will move to the closest grid point). I realize that I haven't made that particularly clear.
I also liked the game but was a bit confused by the controls. Left-click to select(but only on ships) and move and right-click to unselect(or select a...one of those places that heals/builds ships) seemed inconsistent. I just felt like one of the buttons should select everything and the other button should move/act with maybe SPACE as a secondary action. Having to use ENTER to lay mines seemed unnecessary.
I based the click scheme off of Command  & Conquer and Warzone 2100 (or what I remember of their default click schemes, anyway); your description reminds me more of Starcraft. I'll consider changing that, especially if it confuses a lot of people. As for the buttons, SPACE deploys shields for all ships, so minelayers need another key to lay mines.

As for shields, it seems like shields should always be up when you aren't moving, so unless I missed a reason to have them down, they should work automatically...
I like that idea; I'll probably work it into the next version.

when I move them all, their shields are down, so they're in even more peril. I think there are just a few oddities that need to be worked out, most likely on the player's end.
That was actually my intention; I hoped to emphasize stationary placement of the ships (like towers) by making them rather fragile without shields, but still leaving the option of mobility.

Raider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »

Introducing 1.3.0.0!
Fixed several little things here and there, and implemented many important gameplay changes.
The award and rank system is now more than mere aesthetics, as many things have been made unlockable, including customizations to the new player avatar, the flagship.
As always, feedback is appreciated  Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic