Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:51:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCh_sm (simple atmospheric Lemmings-esque game)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ch_sm (simple atmospheric Lemmings-esque game)  (Read 6210 times)
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »

When I hit an option key, I expect immediate results! :p

Nice game, I enjoyed it.

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »

Well, I like it, you pretty effectively distilled the concept of the game, and all of the elements and controls are perfectly intuitive. I like it a lot

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »

Closer and closer to the final product!

I'm really happy with the feedback I'm getting with the monsters so I've added another monster type, a flying one that slowly goes across the screen. In addition I'm lowered the sinking rate of the game and moved the focus more toward maintaining a balance of people crossing versus stopping monsters.

Once again feedback on the game is hugely appreciated! Thanks again to everyone, it's been pretty awesome getting critiques and I think the game is a lot better then it was a week or so ago because of it.

Link to the latest version
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »

I think that you've hit upon something with the latest version, Maybe it's the flying monsters, or the fact that I realized for the first time that the glowing people raise the platforms (derp) But I can see myself playing this like I did Canabalt back in the day...

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 03:18:04 AM »

Hey there!
The new version is nice! It's more action oriented and it's pretty fun to play. I liked it! :)Good job! Smiley

One thing you could add in the tutorial, besides the drop spike, is something that tells that glowers raise pillars once they've crossed. More glowers at first would be nice too and, as the game unfolds, less of them appear. This would create a nice difficulty curve.

That's all I gotta say for now! Smiley Kudos! Smiley  Gentleman

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:25 AM »

Each update seems to have good improvements. The pace of of the game feels very well tuned, the events well timed.

The only thing that bugged me was when i would press Z to bring the spikes down on a foe and before it would reach the column, and before the souls would get off, the column's heights would change, and everything would freeze. Except the spikes. So basically, it feels like the game is without warning screwing me over. Doesn't happen all the time, though.

Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »

Final major revision for everyone. I've refined the tutorials and instructions, add a few more sounds and visual cues, and in the biggest non-gameplay related change added achievements.

I'm normally not a big fan of achievements, but I like the idea of having ones that encourage playing in different ways. Right now the achievements are fairly basic, but I would like to add some interesting ones. Having an achievement where you need to kill a certain amount of people by falling or one where you might need to trap and kill 3 monsters at the same time.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again for all the feedback, at some point it'll be worth going through all the old revisions and seeing how far the game has come since the start.

Link to the latest
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »

I It's been really neat to see how this came together. I'll agree with the not normally liking achievements, but with a never-ending game like this, I think it's cool. Even if it was just higher multiples of ten of the current ones.
Plus, maybe:
"n saved without killing anyone"
"n time without killing anyone"
"n monsters killed in one stomp"
"n people killed in one stomp"

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »

oh wow I hadn't played a new version for a little bit, but with the latest version this game got really compelling really fast.

kudos!

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »

HI,

I really enjoyed the Game during my Breakfast and risked to miss my Bus to work, well. Whatever, it's a really great concept. I just have one small request for the future version, when I selected the column on the right it would be good to go directly to the most left column by pressing right again. Like, looping selection Smiley

Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 01:10:08 AM »

I liked the game a lot! I was worried I'd get overwhelmed, but everything moved at a good pace. Things like the speed of people's movement, the rate at which they were "dispensed," the descending of the columns, the speed and "recharge time" of the crusher - they were all paced very well to make the game comprehensible, to ramp up the tension as it went on, and to force the player to make sacrifices.

It's definitely the sort of game I could play repeatedly - I felt like I was only starting to learn to do well at it, and it made me want to try again.

However: When I finished the game for the first time, my score report told me I had killed more people than I had saved, and my immediate response was, "Huh? No I didn't." In retrospect, I don't doubt the game's math, but I think I know why I got the wrong impression of my performance.

Secluding the "People Saved" and "People Killed" meters to the to corners of the screen effectively hides them from the player. I could have made an effort to glance at them more often, certainly, but those aren't spots my eyes are naturally going to - and as a result, I didn't even really notice my scores until the end of the game.

If you wanted to make certain players knew how their scores were changing, probably the most direct way would be to make the number pop up somewhere on the same vertical axis as their currently selected column, whenever people die or get saved.

Granted, you might not want to shove that in people's faces, but it was strange to play a game and have it tell me my performance was the opposite of what I'd thought. If I'm doing poorly in a game, I like to know while I'm playing so I can try and correct it.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »

I liked this very much. It definitely was atmospheric. I didn't figure out how to crush enemies until in third play though. I think it explained it in midgame but explanation vanished quickly so I didn't read it.

After I figured the mecahinc it was rather fun I think though a bit easy. I got all my achievements with one play leaving less reason for replay. (saved around 560 people).

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic