Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 10:34:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpawn of Helvittica
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spawn of Helvittica  (Read 858 times)
MisfitBYTE
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

This was my entry for Feb experimental gameplay project, ASCII theme.

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/shooter/spawn-of-helvittica/4523/

It's a procedurely generated shooter that uses a given text file to build the area you battle in (so far only a direct representation of the file) and given music files to create your health bar and number of enemies.

Loading the battlefield/enemies is slow and sometimes crashes, but what I'm looking for is if the fighting is fun.

Too easy? Is it worth expanding how the levels are laid out? General feedback welcome too.

Made in Construct so DirectX 9 is required.
bleedingknees
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:05:06 AM »

hi!

tried it shortly. the experience is very rough as of now. At times I couldn't shoot at all. I had green '@' signs speeding around in the background that made it hard to focus on what was important on the screen. not much happened, got like 3-6 enemies that just followed me around.

The idea of using a players text file to construct the level is kind of cute but i guess the problem is that most text files doesn't make up for interesting levels. I just becomes rows of letters.
Maybe the player could give a txt file and you make the level through a algorithm that uses the txt file values but together with your ideas of a fun level.

I think you need to work on the flow of the game. And get some more gameplay in there.
MisfitBYTE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:30 PM »

Thanks, I've been thinking off and on about how I could place the letters better, and since the contest is over I may switch from the letters altogether. Using them for enemies instead.

About not being able to fire, you do need to reload. Was that the problem (unclear ReadMe?) or do you think it was an actual bug?

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic