Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411661 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 04:07:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMysterious Mayhem - Feedback needed!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mysterious Mayhem - Feedback needed!  (Read 719 times)
Retro-Rob
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

Link to game here --
http://www.robertmaherdesign.com/MysteriousMayhem.html

Hi all,
This is my game Mysterious Mayhem.  It's been a side project of mine for about a year now.  For the past couple months it's been on the back burner as most of my free time has gone into another indie game for xblig.   I'm about to start ramping up to finish the project but first I would love to get some feedback from the tigsource community on what I currently have.   

Right now my main inspiration for the game is Megaman2.  To me the current state of gameplay is rather generic (shooting platformer) but I plan to mix it up with an ability system that uses "Potions" that you collect through out the game to unlock new abilities.

Any/all feedback is welcome.

Thanks in advance :D
-Rob

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:04:28 PM »

hey, looks fun!

not that I care too much, but someone's gonna pop up and mention to say hi in the introduction thread:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.4425

so I might as well do it :D

gonna check the game out in a mo!
edit, ok:

first impressions: looks like a lot of work has gone into the game!

first noticed: seems like maybe the menu navigation is a little inconsistent? first I press x to start, then I press z to advance text, z to use the computer, but then x to select level? i think you should just tag one key as 'start' and use that for all 'go forward' type actions

controls:
I kinda think you could get by with less buttons- currently you use z,x,c,v,g along with the arrows

if you want a game with nes like control simplicity, consider constraining yourself to start, a and b. For instance, you can't duck or shoot down- so throw grenade could be down and fire. use potion could be i dunno, hold fire for 1 sec, or in a start menu like megaman. Anyway in my opinion its worth getting creative to streamline the keyboard controls a little

game wise, I'm afriad I never finished the second screen.. the game difficulty curve takes a massive hike with that big bit over the slime. I think you're throwing people in at the deep end there- I don't remember megaman2 getting that difficult as early in the game, and it's quite a difficult game! Consider easing players into the game a little bit slower maybe?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:48:13 PM by RichMakeGame! » Logged

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic