Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 06:15:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVampireRun - I need your feedback :)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: VampireRun - I need your feedback :)  (Read 1134 times)
AlexKalopsia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:04:49 AM »

Hi everyone,

yesterday I released VampireRun, a little game I made for GamePrototypeChallenge v4.
VampireRun was made in less than a week (3 days), following the main themes of the contest (Burden and Sunshine). The game is supposed to be played with a friend, but I also included a 1 Player Practice Mode, useful for understanding the simple game mechanics.

More Info

Made in 3 days
    2 Player Competitive game
    Random generation of the ground: new match, new run
    Music made with PXTone

You can download the game from my website HERE: http://www.alexcamilleri.com/games/vampire-run

Thanks for your feed Smiley

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:47:47 AM by SnakeEater » Logged

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:32:01 AM »

What kind of game is it?

-Also, screens please.
AlexKalopsia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »

What kind of game is it?

-Also, screens please.

This is a screen from the How To Play menu

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:29:53 AM »

I stuggled a bit Smiley only tried the single player mode

(I know 3 days is no time whatsoever so fair play to even make something that quickly. Well done on completing it! Smiley that aside, here's the straight reaction when I played)

first some usability stuff:
the text at the top of the screen is extremely easy to miss. I never saw it the first few times I played so I didnt know what was 'go to main menu'. Couple this with the fact that 'start game' from the tutorial takes you to a multiplayer game, and I had to read the tutorial a couple times, I ended up quitting the game and restarting it about 4 times before I even noticed the m=main menu text

also, I think when you get a game over / someone wins, it should give you play again/ menu options

gameplay: First off, I think you have one too many buttons. Imo you don't need the 'stand up, back reflect' button. This could just be default behaviour when you don't press anything, since there's no situation where you'd ever want to be in the default pose. The penalty of not moving is enough I reckon without having to manually trigger 'stand up'

the more frustrating one was that you can't jump up an obstacle if you're running into it. This is a pretty big one imo for a racing game, you should be able to hold down right and jump to move forward. In practice it was stressful enough to think 'uh, ok let go of run, jump, wait for the right height, ok run!'- so it must be pretty tricky trying to race!

ooh one last thing, I hate the slow fade in at the start of the game Smiley.. you'll have people hammering enter trying to play

anyway, despite those crits, I *can* see it being a fun 2 player game Smiley but it'd be great to see a few of those points ironed out! It's still pretty impressive for a 3 day effort Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
AlexKalopsia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »

I stuggled a bit Smiley only tried the single player mode

(I know 3 days is no time whatsoever so fair play to even make something that quickly. Well done on completing it! Smiley that aside, here's the straight reaction when I played)

first some usability stuff:
the text at the top of the screen is extremely easy to miss. I never saw it the first few times I played so I didnt know what was 'go to main menu'. Couple this with the fact that 'start game' from the tutorial takes you to a multiplayer game, and I had to read the tutorial a couple times, I ended up quitting the game and restarting it about 4 times before I even noticed the m=main menu text

also, I think when you get a game over / someone wins, it should give you play again/ menu options

gameplay: First off, I think you have one too many buttons. Imo you don't need the 'stand up, back reflect' button. This could just be default behaviour when you don't press anything, since there's no situation where you'd ever want to be in the default pose. The penalty of not moving is enough I reckon without having to manually trigger 'stand up'

the more frustrating one was that you can't jump up an obstacle if you're running into it. This is a pretty big one imo for a racing game, you should be able to hold down right and jump to move forward. In practice it was stressful enough to think 'uh, ok let go of run, jump, wait for the right height, ok run!'- so it must be pretty tricky trying to race!

ooh one last thing, I hate the slow fade in at the start of the game Smiley.. you'll have people hammering enter trying to play

anyway, despite those crits, I *can* see it being a fun 2 player game Smiley but it'd be great to see a few of those points ironed out! It's still pretty impressive for a 3 day effort Smiley

Thanks for your feed, here's my reply:

1) I will give more visibility to the upper commands (main menu / restart ) and fix the whole menu navigation. I find it a bit unorganized atm.

2) one of the main idea was to make something a bit messy as for the command configuration. Removing the Protect button is not so bad, but I like the idea of two players smashing the keyboard trying to survive and win the race. I wat to make evering a bit caotic, and the only way is creating a tricky command config.

3) i totally get what you an, but i'm unable to find a proper solution atm. I managed to tweak the jump system as perfect as possible to make perfect 2-blocks jumps, and maybe the problem could be avoided by removing 1-block-holes on the ground. I have to think about it, as I liked the idea of the player trying not to fall into the second block-line and trying to make perfect jumps.

4) the fading intro is made to make the main music theme crescendo starts at the beginning of the race, without using two different music tracks. I should remove the fade when returning to the main menu after a race, but i'm pretty happy about the first launch fade.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback, as you said it's hard to make everything perfect in just few days Smiley

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »

yeah, I see where you're coming from in terms of wanting chaotic gameplay. Maybe this is just a personal philosophy, but I never think its a good idea to make a game harder by making the controls more difficult. You want the users to feel when they fail that it is their fault, not the games fault.

If I had to suggest an alternate way of creating chaos but with easy control, I would try something like this: the game is still four buttons, but those are: run left, duck, jump and run right. the mirror is held in the opposite direction to whichever button you pressed, and fireballs come from varying heights and directions. Also, the mirrors actually reflect the fireballs instead of absorbing them. Now you can have a game where users can actively try to relfect fireballs at their opponents as well as dodging and trying to run farther ahead. the controls are simple to understand and use, but the 3 goals (dodging, racing and hampering opponent) create the tension and chaos

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
AlexKalopsia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »

Well, I actually think that if the player dies, it's only his fault. The command config is not that hard, A-S-D-V and <-v->0 are the best choice and it's only a question of timing. if the bullet hits you, it's just because you didn't press A, if you die it's just because you didn't manage to alternate A and S, and stuff like that.

Your idea could work, but it would be a totally different design, and it's not what I'm looking for.

I made the changes we talked about, and you can download the new version from the same url Smiley

Thanks again

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic