Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:50:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEcho Thrust - Thrust With A Twist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Echo Thrust - Thrust With A Twist  (Read 1431 times)
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »

Because of my complete lack of graphic skills I haven't made a game for ages.  But I've pushed myself to create this little game.  The game took under 12 hours.  I may go back to it and add a few new features and a bit more polish.  But I'm quite pleased with the result and more pleased for actually getting something done for a change.

Echo Thrust is a simple Thrust clone with a bit of a twist.  The aim is simple collect the hearts.  When a heart is collected a version of your past self is created (an echo) and these must be avoided.  Lose 100% of your shield and it's game over.

Controls:

Titlescreen:

Shift - Start Game

F1 - Clears the current Highscore to 0

In Game:

Shift - Thrust

Arrow Keys - Move

Escape - Quits to Titlescreen

Download from GameJolt

Crits, advice & improvements appreciated

GameDevLife
Level 0

Beacon of Bacon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:50:17 AM »

Thumbs Up:
+ I like the gameplay and concept a lot.
+ While the visuals are utilitarian, the game reads clearly.
+ Appealing depth for a pick up and play S&A game

Needs Work:
+ My avatar disappeared around the 17th point.
+ This might be the beginner in me talking but the controls felt as though they lacked subtlety.  I appreciate that awkward controls are part of the gameplay but I'd like to feel a little more in-control.  For instance, negotiating horizontal space without hitting the ceiling seems very hard.
+ The question of graphics really depends on audience in my opinion.  I doubt you'll get many complaints from the serious indie crowd but do you want a larger audience?
+ Visual feedback on the thrust direction would be helpful.
+ Visual feedback upon heart collection would increase the visceral reward of doing so.

Cheers!

Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »

Thumbs Up:
+ I like the gameplay and concept a lot.
+ While the visuals are utilitarian, the game reads clearly.
+ Appealing depth for a pick up and play S&A game

Needs Work:
+ My avatar disappeared around the 17th point.
+ This might be the beginner in me talking but the controls felt as though they lacked subtlety.  I appreciate that awkward controls are part of the gameplay but I'd like to feel a little more in-control.  For instance, negotiating horizontal space without hitting the ceiling seems very hard.
+ The question of graphics really depends on audience in my opinion.  I doubt you'll get many complaints from the serious indie crowd but do you want a larger audience?
+ Visual feedback on the thrust direction would be helpful.
+ Visual feedback upon heart collection would increase the visceral reward of doing so.

Cheers!

Thanks for taking time to play and leave feedback.  I'll look into all the points you brought up.  Most are missing/lacking down to time restraints I set myself, but now I'll go back and add them.

I understand your point about graphics.  Without posting more about my lack of artist skills, if I spend to long looking at the art I've created.  The frustration of not being able to transfer the image in my head to screen kills my enthusiasm on the whole project.

Thanks again.

Was I the only one who suffered from lag really badly? Because it looked smooth enough in the video...

Where/when does it lag?  Lots of echos on screen or from the start?  Thanks for trying it out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic