Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:15:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGalactagirl - a high-speed retro action-platformer!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Galactagirl - a high-speed retro action-platformer!  (Read 7939 times)
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

// GalactaGirl // HellStar Squadron //

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »

I've stuck at tutorial were teach player to use lockdown, I found balloon enemy respawn instant after my character lock and hit them which on only prevent me from chain jump but also damage character I'm not sure if I did anything wrong...

Sounds like a bug with the enemy respawning in the tutorial area. Will do some testing and get onto a fix asap. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 04:08:33 AM »

I've stuck at tutorial were teach player to use lockdown, I found balloon enemy respawn instant after my character lock and hit them which on only prevent me from chain jump but also damage character I'm not sure if I did anything wrong...

Sounds like a bug with the enemy respawning in the tutorial area. Will do some testing and get onto a fix asap. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

ok I'll looking forward to see next version. :D

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:51 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm currently very tired and I suck at devlogs so I'm just gonna run through some bullet points here real quick about what's new in Galactagirl version 0.12!

• Galactagirl physics refactored - movement and jumping physics are quite different now, but are much more "Sonic"-like. Much better acceleration and turnaround speed!
  • Target collision system refactored - Ughhh. After many headaches I hope I finally have a more fool-proof checking system which should shunt you away from solids if you get stuck in them after using the target/zoom attack. Please work.
  • Grinding physics improvements - generally snappier/more responsive.
  • Boss attacks and glitches fixed - Some of the boss' attacks were failing to trigger which has been fixed. Missing sound fx in boss fight also fixed.
  • Score screen sped up - just sped up the values for the score count screen to get through it a bit quicker.
  • Screenshake values toned down - Ahh, much better Smiley
  • Water visibility and performance improved - Much easier to see in water now, and should cause less slowdown.
  • Room transition drawing band-aid fix - Some room transitions were drawing funky. Stage 3 should be fixed now, and stage 4 has a band-aid fix to make it look a little more palatable. Room and transition drawing is currently being completely redone for the full game build, so stay tuned for updates on this front!
  • Added Galactagirl stage opening and closing animations - IT'S SO FRIGGIN' COOL!
  • General level geometry and enemy collision improvements - yada yada yada, etc.
  • Updated splash screen - shiny new logo on the splash screen, it's nice Wink

The response to the demo so far has been really great and I am very humbled by all the kind words and feedback! But the GG train ain't stopping anytime soon so keep that feedback coming in and we can make this the greatest game we can :D

Thanks again peeps! Check itch.io/indieDB/GameJolt pages for download links! GO GO GO!

Cosmic Crystal Games

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 11:31:31 PM »

Hey everyone,

First off I just want to thank everyone for taking the time to check out and download Galactagirl! The respone has been awesome and the feedback provided so far has been very helpful in making this the best game that I can. Secondly, I would like to apologize for the poor experience provided by v0.12. It has a number of a collision issues and crashes that can break the game and this leads to an overall poor experience for the player. But, I have been hard at work listening to feedback and implementing new systems in hopes of alleviating these issues! So without further ado, v0.13 is here! Here is the changelist for the update:

- New collision checking system for exiting target lock and loop states
- Fixes for crashes/hangs caused by particle generation
- Fixed hoverboard section and impossible spawning bugs
- Updated boss behaviour
- Changed Galactagirl damage values/balancing
- Optimizations for texture/background/music loading
- Added analog stick support for gamepads
- Fixed infinitely respawning enemies in tutorial area
- Adjusted sound fx, new hub level music
- Fixed invisible player bug on exiting levels
- Can no longer take the hoverboard with you when you exit Stage 4

Known issues:
- Respawning tutorial enemy issues still sporadically occurring
- Loop exit collision is still funky
- Attacking while in the fast roll state in an enclosed area can get you stuck

Hope this update improves the game experience for everyone and make sure to keep that feedback coming! I ain't going anywhere and neither is Galactagirl Wink

As usual, you can stay tuned at any of my channels for updates on the demo and the full release!

Thanks,
Cosmic Crystal Games

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 04:48:07 AM »

I've only played the Wandering Woods stage so far, but..."high-speed" seems like a major misnomer: it feels very sluggish to me.  High speed compared to super sluggish games like the Mega Man series, maybe.  But I don't think it's as fast as Super Mario World, and it's certainly nowhere near as fast as the original Sonic the Hedgehog.  I like the idea and the mechanics you've chosen, but the implementation has a long way to go.

• The movement is too slow.
  • You slide way too much for how slow you move.
  • The loops feel like things which grab you and zip you around if you touch them at a certain point, rather than feeling like loops of floor tile which you can run around or not as you like the way they did in Sonic. Also it feels like you go through the loop fairly quickly but then immediately slow back down.
  • It's often not very clear what is a wall and what is background fluff:
  • The level design feels like it's aimed at a character with much more precise control.  There are lots of little platforms which you can fall down between, there are lots of short little moving platforms to land on.  Is this Mario or Sonic? Make up your mind. If you're going to have a fast slidy character, you need long smooth lines with different layers to jump between and some obstacles to miss.
  • There are several places where you put a tentacle right after an opportunity to slide, but it feels like you can't slash immediately after sliding, so you have to time it right or you get hit? Maybe that's deliberate, but I just want to slide through and smash the tentacle as I come out.
  • The spring platforms feel underpowered to me.  They're these giant bright red things: shouldn't they have more oomph as Sonic's do?
  • The countdown from three when you start the level is horribly annoying. It's bad enough waiting for the energy beam to fade and your color to change back to normal, but adding a huge delay on top of that? Why??!?!
  • It's kind of annoying that if you quit all the way back to the start screen that it forgets your control configuration...good on you for having menus that wrap around top to bottom though: so many people leave that out.
ydobemos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 06:04:25 AM »

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it looks quite neat from the videos.

One thing that does jump out are the "non-retro" elements, such as rotating pixels, zooming and transparencies... they seem out of place with the general "nes-style"  look of the game. I feel like some sort of a particle effect or like a shifted outline might look better instead of that transparent trail when running. Also those large red lock-on things that zoom in seem to obscure the things they lock on to... perhaps they could look like this: [ ], possibly with 4 corners and just sort-of come in from the sides to indicate the lock-on.

In general - have you tried rendering the game at a "native" resolution for the pixel look?

Creator of Retro City Rampage, Brian Provinciano has a good talk about this here:

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »

@jgrams: You're right, the implementation does have a ways to go. This is all very good feedback. In regards to physics/speed/etc, I am currently re-doing the code base for the game with the planning and feedback in mind. The demo is sort of just ideas stacked upon ideas so it is quite messy. Expect much faster movement and bigger levels in later releases! RE: art stuff. Working closer with an artist now and this stuff is of course being polished as we go along Smiley

@ydobemos: A lot of those "non-retro" elements are being polished up and replaced with more authentic spritework. This is good feedback, and an awesome video resource to boot! Thanks!

Ayramen_Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »

Nice retro vibes there! Smiley

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:39 AM »

Heyo! I gave the demo a download and got through two stages (1 and 3.)

This is probably going to sound very harsh, but I literally found the game to be "Hold enemy lock to win." I quite literally just bounced from enemy to enemy using the lock on, ignoring projectiles and at times even the stage geometry (though it appears you have to initially have line of sight.) Its a shame because it looks like there are several cool momentum-based mechanics here with the downward thrust and rail grinding, but its not very rewarding when I can just breeze through 90% of everything with "lock-attack" on repeat. Maybe the attack lock just needs a small nerf, but I still think we should consider what makes it enjoyable in the first place.

Might I suggest looking at a game like Freedom Planet? In my opinion, its a great example of incorporating combat into the "high-speed" platforming niche. Its not exactly the same as what you're trying to do per se, but pay attention to how the combat and movement mechanics are intertwined. The character previews for the upcoming sequel (especially Lilac's and Carol's) might be worth a look too:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMgiDqI2E6EMLVoeS5dMaZQ/videos
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic