Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 05:28:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdeadguy: top down zombie apocalypse shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: deadguy: top down zombie apocalypse shooter  (Read 2511 times)
dengzo
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:34:01 AM »

I finished my first game for the Icelandic Game Creator competition:

http://ebridde.is/deadguy/

I would love to get some feedback, bugs etc.

Blink
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:14:48 AM by dengzo » Logged
Noisefever
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:00:18 AM »

this is really a great start. good atmosphere, great style. but gets boring too soon. adding more content would be a big improvement.
dengzo
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:04:38 AM »

this is really a great start. good atmosphere, great style. but gets boring too soon. adding more content would be a big improvement.

thanks, yeah, we only got two months to make the game in the Game Creator competition, so I did not have much time to add features. I was hoping for ideas from the forum on features to add to the game.
dengzo
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »

if anybody is interested, I put the shadow code from the game online if someone would like to use it in their own game:

http://ebridde.is/deadguy/shadows/

Gentleman

dengzo
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:31:46 AM »

Ported my game from Java to Javascript, so now you don't have to download anything to play  Gentleman
RamSteelwood
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »

the shadows are really cool, but the game itself isn't nearly as dynamic as the lighting! Wink

the player character could do with a little more life, a little bit of animation.  also a 'run' button.
different zombie types would be good...maybe one that has eyes that glow red in the dark so you can see them in the shadows, but they attack much quicker.
perhaps people to rescue?  they could just follow you, always get behind you so you don't actually shoot them, but because they'll be in the dark you need to keep checking behind you to make sure they're not getting picked off!
mainly, some form of objective or a place to go.  i got bored pretty quick just doing laps of identical buildings.

but it's got potential, i think if it was a little bit quicker and more things going on, combined with the cool shadow stuff could make it quite intense!

Working on an on-line multi-player 'world cup singles' football game for PC.  http://ssgg.uk/tbgtg
I just need people to play it! Sad
dengzo
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

the player character could do with a little more life, a little bit of animation.  also a 'run' button.
different zombie types would be good...maybe one that has eyes that glow red in the dark so you can see them in the shadows, but they attack much quicker.
perhaps people to rescue?  they could just follow you, always get behind you so you don't actually shoot them, but because they'll be in the dark you need to keep checking behind you to make sure they're not getting picked off!
mainly, some form of objective or a place to go.  i got bored pretty quick just doing laps of identical buildings.

THanks man.. good ideas! I'm making a feature list to add to the game.. and your ideas have been added Wink
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »

Sweet sweet shadow effects! With more detailed graphics and the features that were discussed previously, I could definetly see myself playing this more. Keep it up!

Stinger88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

Nice game. I'm rubbish at it, but its nice. Will be watching this one.

RamSteelwood
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »

Did I mention I charge £3000 per idea?  No?  Damn, I guess I'll let you off this time... Wink

I did have a slightly 'odd' idea for the rescued people, which might just be stupid, or could make for a tactical, 'puzzley' type take on the game (maybe suited to the slower pace of the game).  Basically, the people you rescue would follow you like the game 'snake'...so there'd be a big chain of them, following your exact footsteps, and they wouldn't get out the way so you could shoot them accidentally (or deliberately if they box you in).
Does that make sense?

It might not be compatible with the view and the 'torchlight' style of the game though, since you wouldn't be able to see the 'queue' most of the time.  or maybe that would make it more tense as you'd have to keep looking back at them...

Another twist on the rescue angle...rescued people will follow you in a more general way, but they'll only move while you have the torch shining on them.  if you leave them in the dark they'll just stand still terrified.  that way you need to balance looking at them to keep them moving, and looking for zombies!

anyway, I think i've muddied these waters enough for now! Smiley

Working on an on-line multi-player 'world cup singles' football game for PC.  http://ssgg.uk/tbgtg
I just need people to play it! Sad
Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »

Awesome stuff! I love games that use this kind of perspective limitation (obviously, since that's what Dread is).

Personally, I didn't much care for the shadow effect on the zombies. It made it seem more like I was holding a flashlight than the zombie blocking my view. Maybe that was your intent? Though whether holding a flashlight or not, their shadows wouldn't have those kind of distance relative changes unless I was either holding it way above my head or the zombies are 3 feet tall.

There are no limits for those that see no limits
dengzo
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »

Did I mention I charge £3000 per idea?  No?  Damn, I guess I'll let you off this time... Wink

I did have a slightly 'odd' idea for the rescued people, which might just be stupid, or could make for a tactical, 'puzzley' type take on the game (maybe suited to the slower pace of the game).  Basically, the people you rescue would follow you like the game 'snake'...so there'd be a big chain of them, following your exact footsteps, and they wouldn't get out the way so you could shoot them accidentally (or deliberately if they box you in).
Does that make sense?

It might not be compatible with the view and the 'torchlight' style of the game though, since you wouldn't be able to see the 'queue' most of the time.  or maybe that would make it more tense as you'd have to keep looking back at them...

Another twist on the rescue angle...rescued people will follow you in a more general way, but they'll only move while you have the torch shining on them.  if you leave them in the dark they'll just stand still terrified.  that way you need to balance looking at them to keep them moving, and looking for zombies!

anyway, I think i've muddied these waters enough for now! Smiley

haha.. £3000!!

I was thinking of making a "safe house", like hospital or something and you go on search mission and have to take people back to that place.. maybe have some guards at the entrance that shoot at zombies from the gates.

The followers would be as you said in "snake" formation, however only in the direction you are moving, not your angle.. so you could look at them and defend. Of course you can shoot them if you wan't! Wink
dengzo
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 04:13:22 AM »

Personally, I didn't much care for the shadow effect on the zombies. It made it seem more like I was holding a flashlight than the zombie blocking my view. Maybe that was your intent? Though whether holding a flashlight or not, their shadows wouldn't have those kind of distance relative changes unless I was either holding it way above my head or the zombies are 3 feet tall.

I only did it this way because I thought it looked cool.. but it's a good idea to have the shadows steady, I will check out how it looks..I did not intent to have any flashlight,  thanks man Wink
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »

Maybe turn the FOV thing into the same vector style you got with the shadows?
Walking speed should be turned up slightly, 120% would do.
Would be nice if you also added reloading when firearm is not empty, with one round in the chamber aswell.

Reload gun when you have 9 bullets left and a fresh mag aswell, get a spare mag with 8 bullets and the gun with full mag +1 in the chamber.
dengzo
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:19:56 AM »

A small update:
- Simple survivor system
- Gun pickup from dead bodies
- Character shadow system fixes
- Better loading indicator

Looking for more feedback on what to add to the game Wink
dengzo
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »

Awesome stuff! I love games that use this kind of perspective limitation (obviously, since that's what Dread is).

I've been looking for other games with this kind of perspective system.. can you name any other then yours?
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »

Two things.
1. I would like to know if there is any advantage to picking up survivors. Is there like a special amount you need to reach the next level or something, or is it just a points system?
2. Survivors have a nasty habit of getting in the way of my gun. Either code them to avoid getting in the line of fire, or remove friendly fire and just let me shoot through them.
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »

Watch out for this use-case - input during loading (say, impatient people) throws exceptions à la:
Code:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'keyPressed' of undefined deadguy.min.js:1

Truth be told I never made it past the loading screen. Firebug reports:
Code:
Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMHTMLCanvasElement.getContext]
[Break On This Error]

...5":this.draw(c,imgBox25,12,12);break}}};c_terrain.prototype.displayMid3=function...

deadguy.min.js (line 1)

Sorry  Huh?

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »

Me too. Looked really good for a few seconds, but then some static picture pops up, blocking the view to my character, and I never found a way to continue. I still hear the guy shooting in the background when I click.

Some instructions would have been nice.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic