Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 04:56:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNEON GALAXY: Roguelike Twin-Stick Shooter for OSX
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NEON GALAXY: Roguelike Twin-Stick Shooter for OSX  (Read 1136 times)
msachs
Level 0

He will never leave Eurasia alive.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

Edit: A new version has been uploaded which should run successfully on OSX Lion.

Download the game here: http://project-apollo.net/mayflystudio/NeonGalaxy.zip

Neon Galaxy is a twin-stick shooter inspired by Descent and Spelunky. As with Descent, you're diving into asteroid mines, fending off hostile robots and trying to destroy the reactor and escape. And as with Spelunky, the levels are all procedurally generated so the maps are different every time you play. This is essentially a pre-alpha, with three of the four level sets and a decent selection of enemies and powerups. The full game will have four level sets, additional enemies and rooms, and of course a fearsome Final Boss, but I like to think this is a representative sample of the game other than the lack of music. I'm interested in feedback, and bug reports too.

A standard USB gamepad is currently required to play -- just plug one into a USB port and you should be good to go. So far I've only tested the game on OSX Snow Leopard. It should run on Leopard and Lion, but it would be nice to know for sure! I'm considering a Windows port once the game is done, since it's written using largely portable open-source libraries, but that's at least somewhat in the future right now.

Quick instructions: Use the left stick to move your ship, right stick to fire. The shoulder buttons rotate the camera. The gamepad will let you select an inventory item and the face buttons will detonate it as an EMP to stun enemies. Inventory items also act as last-ditch armor if your shields are down. When you're not blowing them up or hiding behind them, though, items will increase your firepower (weapons have limited ammo but stack, letting you increase your power to absurd levels), sell for a pretty penny in the between-levels shop, or even in rare instances permanently improve your ship if you can bring them out of the maze safely. Your objective is of course to find and destroy the reactor then run to the exit, but don't tarry too long if you don't want to meet... Mr. Hunter-Killer. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:54:41 PM by msachs » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic