Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411540 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 03, 2024, 01:29:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDreadful Occupant
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dreadful Occupant  (Read 894 times)
Spoonweaver
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I made a new game that I think is pretty good so I figured I pop in and share it with you.

This is a spooky game I made with a partner for a random colab contest.
Anyways, the point of the game is the navigate your way out of your house, finding items that you need to proceed, while hiding from an evil ghost that's trying to kill you.

Any and all feedback would be helpful. This game was made for a week long contest so I'm sure there are hundreds of bugs still unknown to me. Please let me know what you think of the game and if you find any bugs.

Enjoy!

Direct Download
March 2012

download page
This game was made by both myself and Master K.
wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »

It is not really clear what you need to do. The white noise makes it hard to bear, and the ghost seems to pop around at random times, paralizing and killing you.
When i tried to hide in a box the guy immedediately embarked it again just to be found by the ghost.
It was quite annoying that you can only interact with different objects when you let go of the direction keys, especially if it is not apparent what you can interact with so you will just move from tile to tile and space around alot.

The repeating scream sample is quite the ear-sore and the gameover-screen guitar sample makes no sense.

The idea itself seems nice, but the actual implemention was kinda bad. I will be looking forward for a more interesting version in case you will continue to work on it.

What i could imagine for this game are different ways to repell the ghost like lighting up a room, or turning up the radiation to increase the rooms temperature so the ghost cannot manifest. Windows or the fridge could open on their own which decreases the temperature again.

Hope that helps

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
Spoonweaver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »

It is not really clear what you need to do. The white noise makes it hard to bear, and the ghost seems to pop around at random times, [paralyzing] and killing you.
When tried to hide in a box the guy [immediately] embarked it again just to be found by the ghost.
Well aside from the randomly timed ghost appearances, (which were intentional) I understand what you mean. The hiding seemed to have been a problem for another player as well. I suppose I should length the wait time required to leave one's hiding spot. Also the general goal of the game could be more clear, I understand that as well. Thank you.
UPDATE: The hiding problem should now be fixed.

It was quite annoying that you can only interact with different objects when you let go of the direction keys, especially if it is not apparent what you can interact with so you will just move from tile to tile and space around alot.
This is actually a bug I didn't know about till now, I suppose I never personally tried to interact with objects while walking and neither did any of the other players I've talked to. Thank you for bringing this up.

The repeating scream sample is quite the ear-sore and the gameover-screen guitar sample makes no sense.
Well I'm sorry you didn't really like the sound effects there.

The idea itself seems nice, but the actual implemention was kinda bad. I will be looking forward for a more interesting version in case you will continue to work on it.

What i could imagine for this game are different ways to repell the ghost like lighting up a room, or turning up the radiation to increase the rooms temperature so the ghost cannot manifest. Windows or the fridge could open on their own which decreases the temperature again.

Hope that helps
It's interesting that you think the idea itself is nice and yet think there should be ways to fight off the ghost. The idea itself is that you can't fight it off. You can only hide and hope it doesn't find you. Once you're able to fight something off it becomes less scary. Anyways, I'm glad you somewhat enjoyed it, and I do think I'll be updating this at some point.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:35:06 PM by Spoonweaver » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic