Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:47:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Tikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer  (Read 60129 times)
SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

This shit looks fuckin sick. love the art for this

I second that - AMAZING looking game!

-Tim

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

This shit looks fuckin sick. love the art for this

I second that - AMAZING looking game!

-Tim

thirded!

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2015, 08:09:48 AM »

Thank you all for the support  Toast Right

I have worked on the spirit/physical world stuff that allow Tikotep to switch between the spiritual and the physical world. It allow some kind of puzzle and crazy jumping stuff.

Here is a little video of Tikotep using his new ability

enjoy Smiley

Follow us on playfield
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

That jump looks like he's going into cardiac arrest Who, Me?
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2015, 01:23:00 AM »

Hi all !

First of all, my server is down again, sorry for the missing pictures of the thread.

After some weeks of hard work, I finally manage to finis the demo and to create a trailer to present the game. It was a very long way to get this demo out (I was never happy with the result and I remade it multiple time).

Here is the trailer :

And the most important part, the playable demo  Beer! :

I hope you will enjoy playing to the game. I know there is quite a big list of bugs to correct.
For those wo don't own a pad, you can play with the keyboard :

arrow => move
x => shoot
space => jump

Your feedback would be very welcome, enjoy !
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:13:16 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2015, 02:48:00 AM »

All the old images in the thread seem to be broken. ;--;

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »

Hi Prinsessa, I know about the images, I am trying to resolve the problem with my hoster, they have missed the DNS subsciption for the renewal of my domain. I hope it will get back to normal soon, I can't wait to add the demo link on the official website.

Did you play the demo?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:17:57 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
clebs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2015, 02:02:40 AM »

Hi Alex!
Really cool that you released a demo, it is really great Smiley I wanted to give some feedback about it:

Playability is really good, very responsive and fair.
I really like the story telling and the cutscenes (awesome animation and landscapes too).

Only downside during play, quite hard with no checkpoints sometimes, it was a bit annoying to have to start all over again. But I find it a good difficulty level, since it can't be always that easy to just autosave after every step Wink Only thing I would try is that the overall flow when fighting beasts is not so tedious sometimes, that way it will not bother to start over.

On the technical side:
I played it on windows 7 with no problems at all, nevertheless on Mac OSX it was not launching, so I executed in the terminal to see what was wrong and got the following stacktrace:

Code:
LwjglGraphics: created OpenGL 3.2+ core profile context. This is experimental!
Exception in thread "LWJGL Application" com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: Couldn't load shared library 'libgdx-freetype64.dylib' for target: Mac OS X, 64-bit
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.SharedLibraryLoader.load(Unknown Source)
at com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.g2d.freetype.FreeType.initFreeType(Unknown Source)
at com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.g2d.freetype.FreeTypeFontGenerator.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.alex.tikotep.c.a.c(Unknown Source)
at com.alex.tikotep.a.create(Unknown Source)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: Unable to read file for extraction: libgdx-freetype64.dylib
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.SharedLibraryLoader.readFile(Unknown Source)
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.SharedLibraryLoader.loadFile(Unknown Source)

I hope this helps to polish the small details!!

Great game!
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »

Hi clebs !

I am very happy you like the demo. I think you are right about the difficulty, it can be sometime anoying to start the level again and again because a bat or a wolf kill you. As I have tried this level so many time, it did not feel hard to me (I played the demo about 50 times to fix bugs and tune little passages). Maybe it is to difficult for a first contact with the game (especialy the bat that are really anoying).

Thank you very much for the mac test. As libGDX is mac compatible, I assumed that it would work on OSX without modifications, but I did not own a mac myself so I can't test it. I think it will be easy to fix the problem, a simple library is missing, droping it in the right folder should do the trick (sorry mac users, I will fix it as soon as possible).

I found some youtube videos about the game today

they all seems to find the bat a little bit hard to defeat Shrug

thank all to give fdeedback, it is very helpfull to keep the motivation and to correct the problems on the game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:39:55 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
clebs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »

Hi Alex,

Yes... it is hard when you do not have all the hardware you want to support, and it is a rightful assumption to think that LibGDX contains natives for all platforms it can build for :D

I am also developing with libGDX currently and am happy to test your game on Mac devices, for example, i want to test bluetooth gamepad (xbox and ps) to see how the driver for mac responds). I find it very useful to see what kind of issues you find in your way, as I will surely face them as well. Wink

I also had no idea that Tikotep could double jump!! And that you can grab on walls megaman X style is not that obvious either. I would also suggest using the first level to teach all this things. A very nice way I found for that is putting some non lethal scenario where you have to use a given skill to go on.
I find it extremely well done in Shovel Knight, this video explains it very well:

I hope it helps!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:09:04 AM by clebs » Logged
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: September 18, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »

Hi Clebs, at the begining I was planning to make the double jump and the wall slide skills to unlock later in the adventure by defeating bosses. I found out that the demo would be much more fun with this two skills and I have more skills to unlock already done, that's why I did not add a tutorial part on the game, but you are totally right, the game should force the player to use these skills to make him learn how to masterise the main character.

I have found a bug in the libGDX version I user (quite old as I started Tikotep development on old builds of libGDX). The mac 64 bit version of the freetype extension was missing. I added it in the new Tikotep build I have uploaded on itch.io

http://alwex.itch.io/tikotep-adventure-demo

Is it ok on Mac now?

Follow us on playfield
clebs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2015, 06:43:38 AM »

Hi Alex,

I tested again and now it works fine for Max OSX!! Smiley
I have not tried yet with controller because I do not have it with me right now (but i will).

Other stuff I found:
  • When fullscreen in a big display it is very slow and the CPU usage increases heavily. I am not sure why but I have a 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 and Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics. It works perfectly with most last gen games so I am pretty sure something is not performing as expected when fullscreen. I also tried increasing jvm memory to 2GB and still the same, so it is not a swapping issue.
  • There is a little gap sometimes when moving between tiles. The most information I found is this: http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php?topic=28376.0, https://www.reddit.com/r/libgdx/comments/2vt9r1/flicker_problem_on_tile_borders_using/
    I am currently also facing this issue and tried several things without much success... so if you find a good solution let me know Wink

I also did a dump of all output the jvm did to the console while I was playing, if you think it is worth having I can send it to you.

Hope it helps!
earthwormjeff
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »

Hi Alex, very nice demo. I think that in the intro text you need to add a "s" to "les plaines sauvages". I was also wondering in how you created the music. Do you use an editor for this ?
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »

@clebs, cool for mac. Someone reported me that the language configuration does not work on mac. I seems that the lingdx message bundle don't understand en_GB locale on mac.

Regarding the performance issue while in fullscreen, this is due to the bloom shader. If you go fullscreen the engine detect you maximum resolution and apply it, then the shaders are applied on each pixels of the screen. Assuming that Tikotep has a very pixelated design, I think it may be possible to apply the shaders on a low resolution FBO before merging it with the scene.

An other solution would be to propose some low resolution on the options, a 800x600 stretched for example.

@earthwormjeff, thank you. I am really not good with orthographe Shrug
For the musics, I use Music Creator 6 Touch with the VST Cakewalk Sound center. Currently I am looking at Pxtone to create some music that really feel retro.

Follow us on playfield
Hieronims
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2015, 06:30:36 AM »

Critics and article on your games, available at:

https://www.indiemag.fr/articles/tikotep-adventure-jeu-dactionplateforme-aux-commandes-dun-petit-indien#comment-26304

Sharif
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2015, 06:49:18 AM »

Very interesting style, hope to see more updates soon.

Follow me @SharifGaines| Follow on Twitter Facebook| Check out The Sentient
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2015, 02:50:46 PM »

Hi Hieronims and Sharif and welcome here!
I hope to be able to update the game very soon, there is still a lot of work to do on it.
I watched the differents video of the game and it seems that there are some slow issues and some buggy stuff like missing textures on windows > 7. It seems that Java and opengl are not totally the same on differents OS.
Languages issues also happends on Mac OS and shader are too heavy on fullscreen mode on medium configuration. I will have a look into it.

Follow us on playfield
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2015, 01:16:59 AM »

I just found this on a different site which lead me back here, and I just have to say that wow, I thought I was bored of the extreme pixelly look but this is very nice! And the gameplay appears smooth and hopefully varied.

Bit of a bummer that it is Java, but if it works with the legacy package from Apple, I'll check it out on my Mac when it gets released, because those god damn update noticed in Windows are getting nowhere near my PC again.

xTylerx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2015, 07:22:39 AM »

First off I would like to say that I'm impressed with your work so far.  I also want to say that I'm no English major, so hang in there with me.

The music in the first “level” or “area” before you and gramps take a boat right is great. I feel like it fits, its a bright scene, some what bubbly and fun. The water looks super in the game as well.

Here is my first issue. I am told to collect 10 rabbit skins. The rabbits are small and somewhat hard to see. Aka easy to miss. I have a couple times gone to grampa on a new game and he has told me to go back because I was one short. For me, this is kinda a buzz kill. I don't want to have to backtrack in a game that I just started a couple minuets ago. I'm sure a lot of people were able to kill all the rabbits their first time and that's great, but if I ask myself. “What is the point of killing the rabbits?”. By the way the level is setup, its to get me use to the controls of jumping, shooting and movement. You're giving the player so much room to learn that, I think other mechanics should be introduced within that time.

Such as: Double Jumping, Wall Sliding and Sliding.

For me personally, I like when the game teaches me how to play the game without signs or instructions. I want to test the boundary of the game and figure out what I can and can't do. Right off the bat, I think there a perfect place to teach the player that wall sliding and double jumping exists.

After the player crosses the bridge, have the bridge fall down into the water. The player will then face a rock wall that is larger than everything else they have seen. The wall should be a block higher than they can jump. The player should try and jump to the top, not make it, then slide. This will teach the player that they can wall slide and wall jump off the slide! Teaching the player without instruction is something I love in games.

For sliding, I honestly am not sure how to incorporate that or what the purpose of sliding is? I did not feel like I could use it at any point.

The ten rabbit skins is an opportunity to teach the player so much about the game, so I think the first zone should be utilized as much as possible!

The ride takes about 1:30 to get to the next zone. I think it's totally fine to put the “credits” at this place, but I think it's far to long. The first time I played through, I did not collect the 10 rabbit skins, so I had to go back retrace my steps. I then had to wait a 1:30 in the boat ride which is automated. It's a bit frustrating in my opinion. I had to retrace my steps then wait on a somewhat boring screen to get to the next area. I think this could be a good place to maybe hint at some up coming events possibly? You could have to stars make formations in the sky with symbols foreshadowing. But I feel like their needs to be more going in the 1:30ish it takes. The scene is still really beautiful. I love the water and the whole feel, but its a bit boring after a little bit.

I was able to get Tikotep to stand in front of the symbol. I'm pretty sure I jumped right as the cut scene triggered to stand in front of it. (I forgot to try and reproduce it, sorry!) I also did want to touch upon the wolf. (I don't like the use of wolves in games and how vicious they are, same with sharks spiders etc, gives them a reputation of people being afraid of them, but I'm just a very big animal lover.. That's just a personal preference!) I think the wolf is too close to Tikotep. I think that the wolf should be two jump lengths away, because if you're not holding left then you will lose a heart.  Which is kinda a bummer as this is the first monster.  I'm not exactly sure how to approach this situation, but I think it could be handled a little bit better. I'm not sure I'm expressing my thoughts correctly. I think the player should understand how much  it sucks to get hit. But is it fair to give the player and almost auto two hearts out of demo to finish the rest of the demo? Hm.

Onto the next zone..The lighting, rain and thunder is just lovely. It really sets the mood for me. Although I feel there is possibly too much rain or the rain length is too long. At first it feels cluttered, but I was able to adjust to it.(because you know, I died Tongue) I love the length of the lightning and how it does blind the player briefly, it really adds another element to the area. I also do enjoy the sliding noise of when all the monsters are killed. I think that you could have a different noise if you're entering a boss room, if bosses are something you plan on doing. It gives the player a queue that shits about to go down, which is a positive for me.

The zone before you go down the first ladder is fun. Introducing both the types of monsters at the same time was great. I think the only problem is that before you really do anything in the zone, the wolf is just jumping at the block over and over. Not sure if you could possibly implement him to stop and bark if hes X blocks to hire or something.

I was able to glitch to the side of the ladder by sliding while I was standing on the ladder. I accidentally did this, because I was trying to figure out how to get down the ladder lol. You do have to pretty much on the center of the ladder to go down, which isn't that big of a deal, but it took me a few extra seconds.

What I loved about going down the ladder to the next area was how I was still able to hear the thunder fade as I entered the new area. It really started to set the mood. What I was a little bummed out about was the lack of ambient/atmosphere sounds in the cave. I was hoping for a bit more, like water dripping or maybe the sound of a rock falling once in a while. It felt hollow when I entered, but just a bit too hollow. I also think it would be cool to have the bats eyes to be off pattern. I feel that it could be more intimating seeing all these eyes open and close at different times. If I wasn't on a laptop using paint, and rather on my desktop I would have made a gif to test it out. Just food for thought!

Now, the arrow room is such a cool room to me. It puts a quick twist on what a traditional room would do, for me at least. After pressing the button, I was shocked that it didn't skip a beat shooting the arrows. I almost jumped in my seat when the arrow got close to Tikotep. It was such a pleasant surprise. Also, how the blocks moved up just slightly was such a great element/surprise. I loved it! Although, I did feel the sound effect for the arrows were a little lack luster, but still a great room! This was my favorite room. Smiley

The room below Tikotep with the two bats was a really nice touch. I saw the one bat on the right, but not the one on the left. It really took me by surprise as I already had my eyes on the ladder and ready for the next room. What this made me do, was go up the ladder just a bit slower to scope out the next room for bats etc and change my play style a bit.

I really did enjoy this room and how you sorta crossed over the cave and the rain. Just wanted to show my appreciation for it!

I did enjoy the quick puzzle, it didn't take me very long to figure out what to do, but it was refreshing. I do wonder if the block fell on Tikotep... it would be a game over Wink.  But the reason why Tikotep is not in the screen shot is because I thought there was a secret up there, but there wasn't and I ended up getting stuck up there. I also feel that this game has so much potential for secrets. I feel with the wall jumping and double jump there is a lot of creative possibilities to add secrets. Take for example, Donkey Kong Country 2. The game is filled with secrets, every level there is something. It makes the player look, think and explore. Instead of trying to just get to the other side of the screen. These two screen shots are just perfect spots to add a secret of some sort!

EDIT WOW. For some reason I couldn't get up there on my laptop. Oops!
Now this is where my screen shots end. I did get past the parts with the snails. I got past the level where the wolf is one block below you and he jumps up. I got there with 1 heart, I ended up walking into the next zone and seeing a wolf right in font of me. I panicked and walked back into the previous zone which killed me as a re spawned right back there. I think this goes back to what  I was first saying about the first encounter with the wolf. There is a difference between dying a lot, and drying annoying deaths. I feel like that was an annoying death and taking the damage with the first encounter of the wolf is annoying. I wanted to get further, but did not want to have to start so far back since I had gotten stuck trying to explore, falling in the water and me not realizing my laptop wasn't plugged in.

There's a few other things I want to touch upon or suggest.

First, I love the names of the three characters so far. I love the theme. I think that Tikotep is a lovable simple character.

I think the movement in the game is superb. It feels so good. I know exactly how Tikotep is going to react, I know how far the arrows will go.

It just feels right.

What I want to suggest is the bow and arrow. I'm not sure what plans you have for the future of the game and what weapons you can use, but I feel there should be a risk and reward element to the bow and arrow. Tikotep should be able to charge the bow and arrow back, after X amount of time there should be a small indication, such as a small quick shine on the arrow that it's ready to shoot. The shot should be able to go through the first monster and go 2 blocks through the monster and  intoanother target behind it stopping in that monster, if there is one. This just gives the player a bit more options and allows them to take a risk and have more fun. Just have to be balanced of course!

One last paragraph! This game is amazing. It's looks good, feels good, it is good. I know it's not close to being done and I'm sure you have plans for the game, I just want you to know that everything I'm telling you and all the time I'm taking is because I love the idea and the game itself. You're a one man wrecking crew for the game and it's something that's pretty inspirational to me. I remember making an account on tigsource to comment on your game back last Spring. I am currently in college for computer science and would love to do a DIY project like this in my off time. I would love to do the artwork, programming and music all by myself. This game is very inspiring to me it makes my dreams feel like their not so far away.  I just want to create something that I can be proud of and I believe that you should be proud of how far you have come with Tikotep. I know I didn't finish the whole demo, but just be proud of yourself and the work you have done.
Thank You

p.s. I totally don't expect you to respond to everything.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:44:08 AM by xTylerx » Logged
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2015, 01:51:48 AM »

Hi all and thank you very much for the great feedback. I am currently on a long trip toward australia an new zealand which explain the rescent lack of updates on tikotep's thread. I can't wait to get back to tikotep's developpment, maybe in a month or two. À lot of people seems to find the game too difficult . i will follow your advices to make the game better and more fun.

Follow us on playfield
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic