Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:40:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingElements of Mikoria Chapter 1
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Elements of Mikoria Chapter 1  (Read 1957 times)
wolftriplex
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:41:21 AM »

Welcome to the World of Mikoria

Hello, my name is Spencer Brown. I have been designing RPG's for over 6 years now and have been working on this project for a long time now. I've always been a fan of JRPG's and have been trying to make a new style of RPG's and after 3 years of independent work, I came out with Elements of Mikoria.

If you would like to provide feedback, here is all I'm really looking for. I just want to know if the game is easy to understand, how difficult it was to beat it, how interested you were in it, how'd you like it, and if the music fit with the situations.

Here is the link:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1683/Elements_of_Mikoria_Chapter_1/

Just click the Download Now button, unzip the file, open it up, and find a exe file called Setup with a gold icon. Double click that icon to play.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you enjoy it!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:54 AM »

How long should this game take to play? It sounds like it would take at least 20hrs, probably more like 40 or 60 (3yrs development! Wow! Congrats for your determination!). At the rate I allow myself time to check out other games, I'll be finished in a couple months maybe.

Convince me to check it out! I want to know more before I invest a work week or more into playing it. Smiley I see <furry RPGmaker game>. What do you mean by a "new style of RPG's"?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
mluongo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:48:09 AM »

This seems very ambitious. I like the style, obviously influenced by JRPGs that I enjoyed years ago.

The writing is sort of hit or miss - sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

The avatar drawings (the "face" pictures of each character) look really bad, very garbled looking. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with the game's display on my computer, but I can barely make out their faces in those pictures.

The sprites don't look very good, either. The white fox didn't look bad and the lizard people didn't look bad, but the characters you meet just after the intro don't look good, in my opinion.

I found it sort of jarring how it was a nighttime environment with gray-colored lizardmen and then when I went into battle it was daytime in the background with green-skinned lizards. It didn't feel coherent in that way.

Environments seemed sort of bland, being very rectangular in shape. I'd like to see a gradual incline on a hill, for example. I liked the bright, colorful village I saw after the intro.

While it may seem like I am only complaining, this really does seem ambitious and pretty neat to me. May I ask what version of RPG Maker you used to make it?

wolftriplex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »

I'm using RPG Maker 2003 and let me shed some light on some of the awfulness of the art.

I couldn't draw the face sets at the time, so I had to take larger pictures of someone elses drawings, crop the face out, and re-size it, which makes it look bland and choppy.

I wasn't a sprite expert either, so the out of battle sprites are practically the same way made as the face sets, cut and pasted bigger sprites and jammed down to a smaller size. However, some I made myself, like the General Rapitar or Lieutenant Draegan, using smaller size fitting sprites.

As you can definitely tell, I'm not the artist, but I'm still glad you touched on those issues!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »

I couldn't get anywhere with it after the intro with the fox god. The father character(green splotches of some kind) told me to talk to everyone in town, and everyone in town told me to talk to father. I talked to father, and he told me to talk to everyone in town, and everyone in town told me... so on. There wasn't a way to leave town or anything, so...

The face portraits once I got into town were simply unreadable. My brain could not parse them into images.

I think the jumping element is neat, but not as fun that it's only vertical. A good idea, though. I consistently ran into a bug where jumping at the edges of the church screen would crash the game.

When I returned to Green Splotches' house, it felt a little counterintuitive to me to hold down and then hit the use button, to go up stairs.

The battle music sounded a lot like Xenosaga music, and so I checked out some of the other files... You might be better off by not using copyrighted works. I wasn't at all happy to learn that installing your game made me a pirate of some fine artists and deleted it after finding out.

The intro was neat. It's too bad I couldn't get anywhere after the intro, though, I would've liked to have seen more.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
wolftriplex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »

I'm sorry, I guess that's what testing is for! You're supposed to talk to the white fox, the blue fox, then the yellow fox, then an event is supposed to go off where Emerald and Krystal talk to one another about going to talk to the "green splotche" about it. I tested it an apparently, the problem is that once you talk to everyone, you have to enter the first door on the left when you enter the house to trigger the event. I guess just testing it myself this whole time I've done the same thing so much I've never found any errors!

As for the music, not being able to make music on my own, I've had to use copyrighted stuff as a replacement for now, which sucks, but it's something until I get someone to make music for me! Thanks for testing it though! If you want to play further, just follow the steps above and you should be good!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic