Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 06:37:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSaut - Challenging one button platforming
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Saut - Challenging one button platforming  (Read 4607 times)
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »

The image links in the first post are still broken.
that was actually pretty good. but its no canabalt..
Canabalt is beautiful, but it's waaaay too luck-based. Once you get reasonably good, your final score is 100% dependent on when the random generator decides to serve you up an impossible downwards window-jump.

Haven't tried Saut yet, but at least with fixed levels it won't be vulnerable to random game-enders.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »

Saut is goooood :D That backing music is long, more vibes solo to be honest. The vibes to guitar solo ratio was unfair! Give me a spot on it i'll add in some tasty rhodes!

Alexander Bruce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:57 AM »

The image links in the first post are still broken.
that was actually pretty good. but its no canabalt..
Canabalt is beautiful, but it's waaaay too luck-based. Once you get reasonably good, your final score is 100% dependent on when the random generator decides to serve you up an impossible downwards window-jump.

Haven't tried Saut yet, but at least with fixed levels it won't be vulnerable to random game-enders.

Canabalt isn't luck based at all if you know what you're doing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Demruth/CanabaltHighScoreScreens.jpg

Note: I jumped too early stupidly, not too late because of a downward window. I could easily beat the score if I wanted.

As far as Saut goes, it had decent mechanics for a one button game, but I'm with the others who said that you get stuck in a bind many times. Too far away to make the jump, but too close to an edge for even the smallest jump to get you closer. If anything, this game has more luck involved than Canabalt for that reason.

The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »

As far as Saut goes, it had decent mechanics for a one button game, but I'm with the others who said that you get stuck in a bind many times. Too far away to make the jump, but too close to an edge for even the smallest jump to get you closer. If anything, this game has more luck involved than Canabalt for that reason.

That's your own fault.  You made an earlier jump that put you in that situation.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »

Nice art style and original concept. My two critiques would be that it can be really hard to do short jumps when needed, and falling down to a death is needlessly long. Beyond that, this is really clever. The jumping and sliding gameplay has a nice rhythm and feel to it.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »

Stopping to make a post at my 100th (well, plus the number of the few coins I've gotten) death.  My only dislike about the game is the fact that it uses the space bar.  At least on my keyboard, the spacebar is a bit clunky, and I'm not used to it for the precise hits that this game requires.  It'd be nice if there were some other key that would also work to for the jump button.

Edit: Post beat.  Loved the game throughout.  I got better with using the space bar.  The game kept a nice pace of new content and different level designs.

Now to go and try to get on the leaderboard.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:40:30 PM by Laremere » Logged

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic