Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:19:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLife- a game by Lurk
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Life- a game by Lurk  (Read 7605 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »

1-How the fuck did I miss this thread
2-Will Host For Food doesn't work , I'm stuck on the captcha login...
3-...Unless THAT is the game?
4-The game...
5-If that is a joke attempt at an art game , this is an idea that I was caressing too lol
6-???
7-PROFIT

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »

Eric- The irritating looping music was there to symbolize the cyclic patterns we tend to adhere to in life(get up/wash/go to work/eat/sleep) etc. I used Easy Music Composer to randomly make it to illustrate how it often seems out of our control.  Wink

CAsinclair- Sorry my english's so bad today. I mean, if the game was made to convey this particular message (life, death, regret), wouldn't we all get to the same conclusion? For example, I'm pretty sure we all experienced similar emotions in ff6 when Celes sings , when the airship takes flight to find the group in the destroyed world, when Shadow commits suicide at the end if you did not get the dream.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:55 AM »

Hey Derek, you should buy WHFF.
Make it the new Web2.0 Social website,... with INDIE!
And let the cash roll in, You'd get cojones de oro with that stuff.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »

What I wanted to convey with my undoubtedly humorous use of "lolwut?" was that there's such a thing as interpretation. There's no way to make sure you'll get your "message" across to 100% of your audience anyway, and when you remove language from the equation, it adds an even greater deal of ambiguity, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »

The direction where I was driving was that if the music was different, you would've made a perfect satire of an art game. The music gives it up. BUT I still love it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

The epileptic movements of the main character kinda give it up too Smiley

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »

Just like nobody can point to a specific element and say "that's what's going to influence game making for years to come!". That's not how artistic influence/evolution works.
Well, i think it is. Or at least it can. One has to understand its influences to use them in an intelligent way. This is how evolution is possible, in my opinion (and how plagiarism is avoided).

To understand your own influences is not the same as being able to point at a new game and predict what parts of it will influence the medium in the future.

What I wanted to convey with my undoubtedly humorous use of "lolwut?" was that there's such a thing as interpretation. There's no way to make sure you'll get your "message" across to 100% of your audience anyway, and when you remove language from the equation, it adds an even greater deal of ambiguity, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.

Exactly. And to press that point even futher, you said yourself, Lurk, that you get what the message of Passage is. That it didn't affect you in the same way that it affected some people (again, it didn't make me cry, but I still liked it) doesn't mean that it's bad. It just means that we like different things. I don't think anybody's chiding you for not liking the game -- what triggered me personally was that you pretty much equated "it's not my kind of game" with "what's the point of it?".

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »

Chrk- True, I still don't see the point, not in Passage existing, but into claiming it is a groundbreaking experience that will help further the idea of video games as a respected artistic medium. It's really not because of the graphics or sounds, I just found it boring and uninvolving.

Speaking of which, Eric made me realize that "Life, a game by Lurk" was merely scratching it's full potential as an art game. So here for your playing pleasure is the updated version, with 200% more intent.
http://www.box.net/shared/ff139fj76i

Let me know if you have problems with the link.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »

Is that cow picture the cover of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother?

Edit: No it's not. I thought I was onto something there.  :D
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »

Finally tried it, very lifelike.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »

Chrk- True, I still don't see the point, not in Passage existing, but into claiming it is a groundbreaking experience that will help further the idea of video games as a respected artistic medium.

Who has called it that here? I certainly haven't. Rohrer may be hyping his own games, just like most mainstream games are hyped as "the best FPS evarrr!" by the distributors. But that shouldn't detract from the games themselves.

EDIT: Just tried the new version of your game. Uhm... It's very dadaist, which Rohrer's game certainly isn't... Smiley

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:08 AM »

Well, this is a different beast all together! :D

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »

Try this one, I added another ingredient. I'm wondering if I should start putting an epileptic seizure alert disclaimer at the start.
http://www.box.net/shared/x766kbh004
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »

This game is getting better than you probably want it to be. I find the sprite for the guy who says "I don't usually do the thinking" rather charming.  :D
TheDustin
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »

I found this to be really hilarious and a great satire...

...but is it art!!???
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

won't host for food any more  Sad

Oops, I found the box link ^^
My eyes hurt. But I will keep on trucking.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:10:01 PM by Droqen » Logged

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »

IMO this game is better than passage because I was laughing..
Reminded me of :

(meaning of life by don hertzfeldt)

destiny is truth pre-op
increpare
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »

Tried it out there just now.

I didn't notice the arena narrowing until it got to around screen height. 

Is there a sure-fire way to get a kiss from a dame?
Kepa
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »

Tried it out there just now.

I didn't notice the arena narrowing until it got to around screen height. 

Is there a sure-fire way to get a kiss from a dame?

If you get money from a chest then they bee-line for you and do it automatically.

Lurk, if I could make a suggestion:

Bundle the game with a "developer's statement" that the players have to read in order to start the game at all.  Not the current one, but a new and better one.  A checkbox that says YES I HAVE READ THE ARTIST'S STATEMENT would be helpful.

Also: REAL MATURE.
Kaworu Nagisa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »

Video games started out as toys, and still are. You might want to hijack the medium to tell an important message about the suffering in Sudan, or the plight of the palestinians, but in the end, doesn't it feel a bit silly? Isn't it a bit like using barbie dolls and gijoe to try to explain sexual harassment in the workplace, to adults? Who cares what Roger Ebert think? Did he ever make a game? What's his great experience in it that makes him an expert in judging?

Hmmm...
I've played your game first reading just your first post and reading people sighing "this is art". And I played it a few times trying to figure out what possible symbols the game carries and what is my possible interpretation for the game as a whole and each symbol separately. And I have found some although experience was very chaotic, and so your statement explains why. Still, this could be a good, if not phenomenal art-game as it has a convention of a twisted painting, specific gameplay that can express something, symbols and actions (idea of flashing photos is another interesting thing).

Now, I know how funny it is going to sound but it seems silly to me that someone might consider silly explaining anything with barbie or g.i. joe to adults. Even more, though, I think it is silly consider whole medium as restricted to one brand of toys for children and teenagers. It's like taking comicbooks and believing that Batman from 40s is everything this medium should ever offer and "The Dark Knight Returns" should have never been created, nor volumes like "V for Vendetta" or reality-inspired "Maus" or "Barefoot Gen" should never be created either.
It's not only that we can explain things in different ways. If we want to use more childish symbols, let it be, creators such as Miyazaki pretty much do it and they reach different audience (both young and adults).
Then, it's not really the problem that major gaming became shallow even in terms of entertaining experience (comparing to major gaming of 90s) but that while world move on, while mediums move on, while our culture moves on, and so "life moves on", games go backwards (good for them that they do it pretty much hand in hand with Hollywood movies, but still, Hollywood is capable of "Fireflies in the Garden" from time to time and world cinema does better and gets more attention and promotion than indie gaming scene). The problem with games is that they are not really various. And that less than 1% of them has any meaning at all (by which I mean a deeper meaning, something to think of, something that can enrich us as people, something that I could maybe describe as popular-art). While other mediums try different genres (movies seem like good example) like comedy, drama, action, documentary, thriller, etc. Games seem to be much more restricted. Let's face it, how many dramas did we ever encountered as gamers? Or comedies? How many times did we think of catching one title today because we are IN MOOD for something. All genres game have is usually RPG, shooter, etc., genres of how to play a game (in movies it would probably be the way plot has been built and shots taken because that's how we see something in the movie). My point is that games can be much wider than they are now. They can both include plot/emotional genre and typical gaming genre.
Then, there is even more. Games didn't really achieve so much yet. If one thinks that making art games now is too huge step because major gaming players are sort of going backwards to the caves looking for fire, why major gaming is totally incapable of creating something as deep, meaningful, philosopical, technical but also fun, entertaining and exciting as "Ghost in the Shell", for example? (I refer to Masamune Shirow's manga, although both, Oshii's movie and tv series will do good) Why indie gaming is still not capable of it? We don't make LOST either, don't we? We don't do much of poetic style, we don't write books-lenght stories with games, but we also rarely write short-stories of some meaning. And we are definitely far away from "Marriage of Heaven and Hell" (W.Blake) although games can definitely do it.
What they require for it is a change in thinking of developers and players. That games can be toys, but they can be something completely different.

And that's, my dear at-art-laughing game maker, my response to your statement.

No harsh way of expressing myself intended, so I hope I can add something to the discussion with my post.

Good luck with your future efforts  Coffee

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic