Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:19:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAnamaton 4 Player Hotseat Action
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anamaton 4 Player Hotseat Action  (Read 3129 times)
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »

A product of around 2 years or so of dabbling work-

Anamaton is finally at a state of "Good Enough" completion. The only known errors are those which come up when playing alone, and some tiny award errors, but nothing that will destroy an enjoyable skirmish.

The controls take a little getting used to, but included is a tiny handy PDF manual.

I would recommend playing with a joystick. And friends...

The Level "1337 arena" is there so those who are lonely can battle with some ai.

Download it Here

Pixrl Prospector Page

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:24:44 PM »

Looks good. Going to give it a go.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »

awesome!!
just downloaded it...time for some playtesting!!  Beer!

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »

we should make a game sometime

also I will play this when there are friends around

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »

Oh man this looks like totally fun. Like jw, I'll have to gather some peeps together to play this so I can get the full experience, but I can tell already that it will be sweet <3

(Also good to see you're still developing tekno! I always loved your stuff!)

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »

Awesome game! Very nice. Played it for a couple hours today with a few of my friends. Here are a few of my thoughts on how it could be improved.

-MUSIC. anything, any kind of music would do. anything that you could grab for free even would help create a better atmosphere for the game. It just felt strange whenever i'm sitting there with a couple other guys when there isn't any shooting going on and it was completely silent. It just took away from the experience with absolutly nothing playing in the background.

-I think that there are a bit too many weapons allowed on the map at once. It seems like they piled up by the weapon spawners. Maybe you could check if there are weapons around the spawners before they create more weapons. That way they would spread out in areas that don't have as many items around them

-Maybe change it so that you don't lose all of your money after each death. Or maybe make it a bit more common, maybe money pickups could spawn randomly at places.

-It might be nice to have a seperate buying station that you could purchase guns with.

-It would be cool to see a stock lives game setting, instead of just playing for kills. Other team matches would be awesome too, like capture the flag or king of the hill or something like that. The team assult setting was a good idea, though since we only had 3 players we had to play 1vs2, but i'm going to try to play some 2vs2 soon.

-It aseemed to end the game as soon as we started with the team assult mode in some levels. I'm guessing not all of them were supported, maybe add an indicator for that in the level selection screen.

-Maybe add the option to enable/disable certain weapons/items.

And my favorite parts about the game:

-The vast number of weapons and items. A lot of them are really original and fun with cool effects.
-Vehicles. Driving robots and airplanes around is just plain awesome.
-The moving levels on the wheels. Caused some very awesome fights and very funny moments.

Overall very awesome and fun game! Great work! This is a game that I'm definitely going to be playing a lot.  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »

Amazing game! I've been waiting for ages for something in this style. Ever since I saw a teaser clip on your page and now that it's released I'm more excited than ever. Wink I've had more fun messing some with this game than I have with any others for months. But then I'm all about hotseat games, so this one's right up my alley. There's still a few things that need some work to make this game really great, but so far it's the most promising game of the year in my opinion:

-Sound effects: First of all they all seem a bit loud in relation to all the other music/game SFX, etc. that comes through the speakers, but that's easily solved by turning the volume down. Tongue Second, a lot of the sound effects started to grate on me a little after a while. Are they temp SFX? They're all very blunt and blocky; it all contributes to a sort of retro SNES atmosphere, but the SFX were one thing I never appreciated about that system. Tongue Smoother, softer sound design would do a lot for the game in my opinion.

-Music: Like HCR said, some music could be nice. Not a bit deal for me since I just cue up some action soundtracks in the background on iTunes. Wink Some music from professional composer Paul Houseman could be awesome in-game. His demo tracks are free to use non-commercially. Apparently his site's down right now, but here's his archived page listing his demo tracks and his Mikseri account where you can still download those demo tracks. His FAQ says the demo tracks are fine to use but I'm not sure quite what the condition of the site means. You might want to contact him just to be sure. Edgen also has lots of good "free for noncommerical use" music. I know of a few others as well. All up to you if you want to use it, of course. It's awesome cinematic music but may not fit with your vision of the game.

-Blood: Could you make a toggle option for it in the settings? I'm all about opening games up to the largest audience possible.

-Gameplay: I like the gameplay enough as it is, but have you considered implementing artillery-style aiming like they use in Worms, Liero or Soldat? I think that would work really well for this game and would basically mean I would never quit playing it. :D It would add to the degree of skill and possibility for mastery. To preserve what's already there you could implement artillery-style and have it as a toggle option in the settings for 2 different styles of gameplay.

-Game speed: So I'm not sure if the issue here is the game lagging on my computer or the default gamespeed itself. (Some parts of the Skirmish video are obviously sped up, but is all of it sped up? Usually the video seems to be going at a more normal speed, which is about twice as fast as the game actually plays on my computer. I'm running a really modern machine, so there might be some lag issues with the game.) If I'm not experiencing lag and the game actually is that much slower than the video, I suggest working at speeding up the general pace of the game a bit. Tongue The pace in the Skirmish video looks too fast in parts but it's just the right amount of too fast in other parts. So far this is the main negative for me.

You could also probably make the controls a little less clunky by getting rid of the Drop key and turning that function into a key combo, like holding Change and tapping Up to drop. Just an idea, but it would facilitate more people on one keyboard. It could also be a toggle option in the settings.

Love the graphics. Love the levels and their design. Love the basic gameplay. The weapons and items are perfect. Just needs some polish (ex. in the menus, which I'm sure you'll get to eventually) and a few kinks ironed out (and a minor gameplay change or two? Tongue) ...and you'll have my new favorite game. :D

-Feliz
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:34:05 AM by Feliz Lombriz » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic