Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 05:07:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge: The Album 2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge: The Album 2012  (Read 15569 times)
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:38:27 AM »

Update: I've sent a message to every winner (except the ones who already showed up on this thread), redirecting them to the address you posted, Moritz. Let's hope they respond as soon as possible. Except in the case of E-rock, I sent the message directly to their immediate email-address, but I'm thinking that if they don't respond soon, I'll send them another one through this site, too, just in case. Let's hope for the best.
Also, I realized that I sent my track in VBR quality, once I get back home tonight, I'll send over the 320 kbps version. Wink

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »

Thanks Maverick,

Regarding your track, here's the info I just added to the original post:

If you can, send the tracks at the highest possible quality.
It doesn't need to be 24 bit @ 96 kHz, but uncompressed would be preferable and 128 kbps mp3s will not be featured in the album.

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:08 AM »

I'll send over the original wav tonight. That should do it. Wink

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:51 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right
this will be
excellent.
thanks moritz
and maverick
and everyone
who participated
in the challenges
 Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 07:19:34 AM »

Thanks to everyone involved for actually making this awesome idea reality! Kiss
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »

yo sent you my link.

play hydlide 2
Sam English
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 08:46:31 AM »

Just read the email from Maverick about this (thanks for letting me know, btw)! I remember seeing this idea mentioned somewhere a while ago, so glad it came to fruition!

I'll get my track to you soon, Moritz. Busy settling into a new place and stuff, atm.
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »

Let's wait until we have at least half of the tracks together... no need to rush things. Smiley
When we do, you're all invited to go nuts with the marketing.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I should have specified... Tongue

I've been browsing some charities that focus on giving instruments to kids, here are a few I found,
http://www.vh1savethemusic.com/
http://www.fendermusicfoundation.org/
Those are the most "national" charities I could find, most of the others are more region specific.

and of course something more on the games side.
http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

And a great, more general children's charity
http://www.unicef.org/

Unfortunately there aren't any that give kids synths... Concerned
Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »

Question : Shall we start that over for 2013? I mean, going back to Musical Challenge I and given the experience is successful, doing that charity album again, the edition of 2013. That would be neat  Big Laff

Just my thoughts.

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »

Question : Shall we start that over for 2013? I mean, going back to Musical Challenge I and given the experience is successful, doing that charity album again, the edition of 2013. That would be neat  Big Laff

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, let's just have that in mind and grab the winning entries after each contest. It will probably bring more prestige to the contest as I take it that people want to be on the compilation.

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »

8thMode: Really nice finds there, I'm supporting either of the first two organizations, it's a good idea to provide music-related help.

Peregrinus: We'll keep going until the very last black hole evaporates in the near-empty Universe.  Beer! Also, creating a compo every year is a pretty damn good incentive to keep our quality standards high up, so I hope we'll stick to it.

Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

We'll keep going until the very last black hole evaporates in the near-empty Universe.  Beer!

I'm looking forward to it!  Waaagh! Hahaha

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »

Great idea!
Looking forward to hearing it all.
Any chance of a 2013 comp?

E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »

Just my thoughts.

I don't want to veer too far off the main topic here, but since this came up, I have a related question.  How does everyone feel about potentially changing the rules for the challenges this year?  Such as maybe making the winner be based on votes rather than up to the one person running the challenge (I know when I ran mine, picking a winner was the hardest thing ever! lol).  Also any other ideas that people come up with.  Again, just a thought.  

By the way, I'm going to look at my track tonight, potentially make some minor changes to the mix, then I'll send it to you.  If not tonight, tomorrow for sure.

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »

Everyone who sent me links to their tracks: Many thanks!
I'll update the list tomorrow.

I don't want to veer too far off the main topic here, but since this came up, I have a related question.  How does everyone feel about potentially changing the rules for the challenges this year?  Such as maybe making the winner be based on votes rather than up to the one person running the challenge (I know when I ran mine, picking a winner was the hardest thing ever! lol).  Also any other ideas that people come up with.  Again, just a thought.  
That's a brilliant idea. Take a look at the new challenge over here.

Cheers,
Moritz

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »

Personally, I don't mind the idea of giving to a charity that is related to music. As for bonus tracks, I made a video that was originally meant to be solely for YouTube, and then I remembered how unpopular I am, there, so I can submit that track as a bonus to this album if you want. Smiley

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »

Alright! I just now e-mailed you my track, Moritz.  Hopefully you get it. 

I'll look into charities in my spare time in the mean time.  Hopefully everyone hops on board with this idea ASAP.  I'd like to see this come to fruition. 

Once all the songs are compiled, I am curious to see how the financial stuff will be handled.  I'd like there to be a way for everyone to keep track of the total download and money donated sort of stuff.  I guess we'll all have to figure that out when the time comes. 

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 02:27:10 AM »

I think a working voting system would be rather hard to establish - if there's too much communication involved, it might get difficult to get things sorted out. I like the system we have right now, because this ensures that everyone actually gets a personal feedback. This might be quite difficult to achieve within a more democratic system. Eventually, picking a single winner is also a good practice for developing analytical skills.
After all, the feedback is what we're here for; I don't think that a more evenhanded community pick is neccessary.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »

Interesting project. I submitted a slightly altered version of 'For The Colony!', which has the intro of the extended version, then the main loop with melody twice and without melody twice for a total length of 1:05; basically the loop but in a way that's more convenient to listen to. (I felt the extended version was a bit too boring, long and repetitive to submit; sometimes less is more.)

---

Regarding the choice of charity, I oppose UNICEF due to meddling in matters that don't protect children and are controversial. Regardless of your opinion on those matters, you have to admit that it's a waste of funds if you donate to help children and they instead use it to do things like lobby for internet censorship.

I'm not much of a 'oh no we must save the children' type, so I prefer more pragmatic charities like Doctors Without Borders; medical aid and disaster relief without any political bullshit. You donate money, they help people. That's it.

---

While I'm not much of a fan of having to judge entries and pick a winner either, I have to agree with Lauchsuppe; winner selection is nice, but feedback is essential. Unless we can find a way that guarantees feedback while having a better system, we should stick to what we have. I'll just have to try to avoid winning any future Musical Challenges I may join Smiley
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »

Edited the first post to reflect who's sent me the track yet.
Things are shaping up!

Let me remind everyone: If at all possible, hand in uncompressed files (wav or aiff).

Please use my mail address to get in touch with me, it's info (at) moritzpgkatz (dot) de

Converting all the different formats to wav, then leveling them, then reconverting them to .mp3 and FLAC... it's just a lot of hassle and will detriment the sound quality somewhat.

Still open for ideas regarding bonus tracks and possible charity organizations.
Regarding the final choices, there will be polls. Right now, let's just gather ideas lest we fall into endless discussions. (we can do that at a later point, promise)

Thanks,
Moritz

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic