Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411571 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:48:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is your job?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: What is your job?  (Read 11819 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »

It was a stressful job even when they were MAKING money :D

All three of us are keeping it real. Let's start a business!

Yey! High five unemployment! Beer!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

I sell shareware games, and sometimes do freelance writing / ghostwriting.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »

Full time programmer. Yea, for a company.

..too bad it's for business software, not games...  Angry but not too bad for my age  Beer!

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »

Nothing at the moment. Perhaps next year, after I finish college.

Renton
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 10:54:42 PM »

I do translations for a motorcycle magazine.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »

I do translations for a motorcycle magazine.
Do you derail the articles?

Renton
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »

What I can and cannot write is pretty strict, so as much as I'd like to do that, I can't.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »

3d artist most of the time, want to go fulltime indie though one day

I have such a sweet deal going on at the moment - it's almost unbelievable. Basically through an absurd turn of events, I am getting paid to learn how to cook asian cuisine. Any Aussies will surely know of Tafe, which is where I'm getting paid to study.

I am lucky enough to have met a rich Japanese business man who needs to employ a certain number of employees at his restaurant in order to keep his business visa (something like that). So its some dodgy scheme where I am getting "training" to work at his restaurant. :D

It won't last forever (nearly done infact) and I'm desperately trying to finish a flash game and try to make some money through that.

Rofls i know the scheme, my old employer employed me under the same thing (not hospitality though), it was cruisy.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 11:57:08 PM »

Game designer at Codeminion - small (five guys) indie company making casual games. I like my job a lot. Most people here think that all casual games are crappy and evil (which, sadly, is quite true), but there are few actually good ones and I think we contribute to those.
We come from the oldschool way of thinking that casual games should be tightly designed, very pretty, simple and fun to play. Of course, it means we need to spend loads of time on each game, while we could make a sucky franchised Pet Spa Dash 3 in few months and earn the same money  Roll Eyes.

There's one huge advantage in making casual games, though. Your parents' and family's understanding of love for making game grows rapidly, when they can't stop playing your stuff  :D.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »

Architect for a collection of document and process (procurement,agreement,order) management systems.
It sounds really boring but it's a nice counter balance to making games.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 12:50:20 AM »

I work as a programmer for some sub-sub-sub-branch (or whatever) of ThyssenKrupp in Germany, although I have to program 100% in ABAP (for SAP) which is so far the shittiest language I ever had the honor to program with.
Not really happy with the job at all, but money is money, so I'm gonna keep at it until I find something better.

Currently I'm trying waters with monetizing flash games, which is the closest thing to getting paid for what I like doing the most. I kinda doubt though that I can LIVE from monetizing flash games, though, but that is what am working towards to, currently.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 01:39:52 AM »

I work as a programmer for some sub-sub-sub-branch (or whatever) of ThyssenKrupp in Germany, although I have to program 100% in ABAP (for SAP) which is so far the shittiest language I ever had the honor to program with.

Beer!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 03:42:17 AM »

Financial software developer.  My job involves staring at thousands of lines of poorly formatted legacy code and wondering what the fuck it does.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 04:08:33 AM »

Don Andy/Cagey- Ive only had two games sponsored, and you can play them here if you want: www.greg-anims (neither are very good, im learning AS) but i have done tons of research, talked to loads of Sponsors/developers..and i know how it all works! If you have any questions with flash sponsorship then pm me, or ill write a little topic guide.. i thought about passing on what i learnt about flash sponsorship.. but then i realised loads of casualgame douchebags would read it and make more money than me. But everyone here is dedicated to good games so i would actually like to help.

+if you get things set up descently you can live off it if you wanted. The Second game ive ever made (DeathDice), took me 5days to make.. and i made four figures from initial sponsorship, and a bit more with ads, and if id sold extra versions(site-locked versions), you can get around $200 each for them.. so if you find 20 websites who want it..you do the math. THERE IS RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE! (considering i just fuckaround in flash making things i dream up)

..im pretty sure Annabelle could rake it up in Flash, not sure why she doesnt.. what is your job!??lol

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »

I'm a PHP programmer. Though I don't really program so much as learn to use the CakePHP framework and all its hundreds of standards and other crap. It's one of those semi-jobs linked to college study, so the pay isn't really handsome, but I'm learning something.

Just wish it wasn't actually 8 hour-a-day... Tired

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »

I write tax software but earlier this year, I used to work with customized sewing software.

In my spare time, besides working on a masters, I also write novels (trying to get a second one published), short stories, and commissions. And random other stuff, like RPG writing, and random programming.
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 06:16:29 AM »

I work as a programmer at Kloonigames. They should promote me to a lead programmer position, because I basically do all the lead programmer's work there.

Petri Purho
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 06:21:49 AM »

I've been doing this,

For the last...9 years.  (jesus).
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 06:58:21 AM »

Doing what?  Running down trees with a gigantic house-robot-caterpillar-thing?

Anyway, I do nothing.  Occasional web-design work, occasional flash-based work, but other than that I'm a full-time job hunter.
...Which doesn't exactly pay very well.
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »

Amusingly, I post vacant jobs up online for other people.

S'only part time though, start a job as a mechanical engineer in about a month.

Last release: sync::routine
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic