Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:15:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPropose Improvements for GM
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Propose Improvements for GM  (Read 5308 times)
Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »

Truly object oriented scripting language.

Never gonna happen.
medieval
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 10:41:17 AM »

online functions that actually work.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »

Good point about the lower-left transparancy pixel. AGS already does that better.

I'd like more alarms per object and the ability to name them.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »

I'd like more alarms per object and the ability to name them.
This.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

No, rinku, because the nice thing about the ridiculous power of modern PCs is that we don't have to worry about closing everything down before we load up a simple 2D game (and even some 3D games.)
Agreed as well.  If I'm in the middle of say, sorting/deleting photos, and I feel the urge for a quick bout of Shotgun Ninja, I don't want to close down what I'm working one just for my quick diversion.

And it's nice to hear that there's a dll, but it really should just be built in.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »

Since I'm one (of the probably few in here) who uses just one screen I don't have a problem with full-screen games moving my Windows, but I think a designer has the right to force his games to run in full-screen mode if he sees it fit.

One thing I don't like about browser games is that they are not serious about themselves. They are a mere 5 minute distraction for when you are waiting for your downloads to be done or for your friend to answer on the Messenger chat window.

But if you want games to immerse the player, to create an experience, you want and need him to be focused on your game and not in other stuff. I think Cactus was aware of that and he made it on purpose, as some of his games really need to get the 100% of your attention.

I once saw a documentary where Hitchcock would force some kind of law of not letting anyone into his Psycho movie once the movie had started, no matter if you were just 1 minute late, you were NOT gonna be allowed in. You could argue that you were paying and could arrive at whichever time you wanted but here the experience was more important than the profit. Same with the forced full-screen mode. PC gaming has some annoyances, add this one to the list.  Cry

About the GM improvements, for some reason all GM games I've tried take a lot of time to load when you run them. This was bad when I was using an older computer because some would not start at all. And I'm not even talking about very complex games. Maybe they load everything into the RAM, so if you have a limited amount, they won't run at all. I just don't see this happening with MMF games with similar level of complexity.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:48:14 AM by guillermo » Logged

Casey
Level 0

I sort in O(n) time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »

I'd like there to be a mode where you don't have to put individual code snippets into each event, instead you could have one code window per object and you have to specify the events like functions.  For example:

Code:
event create{
//do stuff
}
event beginStep{
//stuff
}
//etc.

It's kind of a stupid small thing but it would require less exiting out of code just to go to a different event to check the name of a variable or something.

Also, no more bottom left corner transparency.

Gnarf
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »

Since I'm one (of the probably few in here) who uses just one screen I don't have a problem with full-screen games moving my Windows, but I think a designer has the right to force his games to run in full-screen mode if he sees it fit.

Seconded.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »

Allow creation of particle systems in scripts (I don't know why this happens, when I do 'ps = part_system_create()' in a script it doesn't work; it assumes part_system_create() is a variable)

I create my particles systems exclusively in scripts.

Never had any problems with part_system_create().

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »

Allow creation of particle systems in scripts (I don't know why this happens, when I do 'ps = part_system_create()' in a script it doesn't work; it assumes part_system_create() is a variable)

I create my particles systems exclusively in scripts.

Never had any problems with part_system_create().

Odd.
medieval
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 03:01:53 AM »

I'd like there to be a mode where you don't have to put individual code snippets into each event, instead you could have one code window per object and you have to specify the events like functions.  For example:

Code:
event create{
//do stuff
}
event beginStep{
//stuff
}
//etc.

It's kind of a stupid small thing but it would require less exiting out of code just to go to a different event to check the name of a variable or something.

This is a great idea.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 05:32:07 AM »

I don't use GM, but from observing the Indie Brawl project and GG2 it seems quite apparent that better means of cooperation would be quite useful. Some way to use source code management by e.g. being able to store all scripts in external files, for instance.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »

Fix random.

Don't force me to put everything into an exe. If I'm providing a free game, I want to allow it to be edited as much as possible, since I like play with games as much as I enjoy playing them. If the graphics, sound effects, music, etcetera of a game don't suit ones taste, one should be free to change them. If their are files external to the exe that can be changed or replaced, this is the easiest way to provide such freedom. There definitely should be an option to put everything into an executable, but it shouldn't be the only option.

GM seems to have some weird memory problems. I was using sounds to test its randomness, and I kept getting the same sound. Part of it was because I was trying to get a return from 0-3, and a probable part of the problem was that I wasn't wise enough to the ways of GM, but I kept getting "Zero, zero, zero, ..." (I was relying entirely on the prebuilt features instead of using GML). After I deleted the "Zero" wave file from my hard drive (I might have only edited the sounds to be loaded in GM instead of deleting the "Zero" file, and I've reformatted since then) and changed the range of the random form 1-4 with corresponding sounds for each number, I still had "Zero" playing over and over again through my headphones. I then gave up. I didn't care if I or GM was doing something wrong, and I went in a new direction.

Disclaimer: these are just my first impressions with software I had expected to not to have to find work arounds. In other words, I'm a complete novice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:38:34 PM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »

Fix random.

What's wrong with it?  New to GM7 you can set the seed for the RNG, or randomize the seed.  Are you not randomizing the seed?

Don't force me to put everything into an exe. If I'm providing a free game, I want to allow it to be edited as much as possible, since I like play with games as much as I enjoy playing them. If the graphics, sound effects, music, etcetera of a game don't suit ones taste, one should be free to change them. If their are files external to the exe that can be changed or replaced, this is the easiest way to provide such freedom. There definitely should be an option to put everything into an executable, but it shouldn't be the only option.

This is already a feature.  You need to be registered to use the functions, but they are there (ex: background_add(), sound_add(), sprite_add(), etc) as well as functions to delete resources from memory.  I know that this feature is definitely used extensively in most high-profile GM games (Iji comes to mind with its loading screens).

Code:
event create{
//do stuff
}
event beginStep{
//stuff
}
//etc.

Awesome idea.  You can already do something like this if you have the registered version.  You can simply use the following code:

Code:
obj = object_add();

object_event_add( obj, ev_beginstep, "

//code

" );

But that's very awkward.

And yeah, the lower-left pixel thing needs to be fixed.  It's a small nuisance, but still a nuisance.

Biggerfish
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 02:23:01 AM »

Personally I would like a name change. To people that have been using it for a while, I don't think "Game Maker" is a problem, but if I ever had to explain what I used, or tried to give someone an idea of the program, "Game Maker" sounds like you just click a couple of buttons and you're done, no real work put in. While I guess that's the general idea of the program, to provide some sort of easy game development tool, it comes across as pretty amateurish to newcomers.

Of course, I have no clue whatsoever for a better name.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »

Code:
event create{
//do stuff
}
event beginStep{
//stuff
}
//etc.

I'd be even better if you could define methods and functions/scripts that way.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic