Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 04, 2024, 12:11:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPainters Guild [OUT NOW]
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Painters Guild [OUT NOW]  (Read 120961 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »

death

Need a better death message.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:22 AM »

May I suggest that the death screen fades in instead of just appearing?

Yeah.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: August 20, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »

May I suggest that the death screen fades in instead of just appearing?

Done!

Thinking of doing a funeral image with all your painters around the dead painter for the actual death event (if death results from the doctor event).

Oh, there could be a random crowd around too. The more skilled the painter, the bigger the crowd at his funeral!

Edit: an idea to incorporate famous painters (Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo etc):

"A great artist is looking for a guild. He/she will join you if you can fulfill the following:

-Have 2000 Florins
-Guild has 5 rooms
-2 Artists of the Sfumato style
-1 empty painter slot

Time (years?) remaining: X"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:39:54 AM by AD1337 » Logged

austin1298
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 21, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »

I really like the hat idea. I think you should be able to change your clothes. Maybe have a few clothing styles to choose from that you can buy with in-game money. Just offers more customization. There should already be clothes on the painter when you get the painter, but you can change it if you want to. You could have your painter wearing fancy clothes or other clothing styles.

Reposting this because it wasn't replied to.
crodo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 22, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

Hell, I do not read for a couple of days and then tons of messages appear :D
Anyway, I like you consider what we say, so I leave some comments

Contamination is working now too. I'm not sure about random illness, I think it's realistic but the player might be too pissed. It's kinda unfair gameplay-wise. Right now illness only happens if you overwork your painters. Let me know if you lurkers have any opinions on this.
I think illness should happen. You can cure the man with rest (common illness) for a certain period of time.
For sever illness you can hire a medic, it takes more time.
Really rarely, he can die for some illness, maybe in contemporary with a pandemic (eg: black death).

Indeed it is frustrating for the player, and for this reason there should be a compensation of some sort (money or skill gain for the new oldest\better painter in the guild)

Or, you can put an option to remove illness, so there will be more challenge for who wants it, and a smoother gameplay for who wants it easier.

You can try to prevent death.

I'm not sure if this specific event will be going to the countryside. Now that I think about it, I think the solution here would be to hire a doctor. Resting should be a solution for when illness has just begun, not for this stage.

Will have to read about medicine in the Renaissance.

Well maybe you can try both: first hire a doctor to try to cure your painter.
If he's going to die for sure, you can send him to rest and enjoy what is remaining of his life in the countryside.
You could also add the event of the old painter who want to retire and live the last years of life relaxing :D (maybe this is already present in the game, I don't know)

Edit: an idea to incorporate famous painters (Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo etc):

"A great artist is looking for a guild. He/she will join you if you can fulfill the following:

-Have 2000 Florins
-Guild has 5 rooms
-2 Artists of the Sfumato style
-1 empty painter slot

Time (years?) remaining: X"

nice idea.
Or you can be so lucky to discover them from youth?
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:33 AM »

You can try to prevent death.

I'm not sure if this specific event will be going to the countryside. Now that I think about it, I think the solution here would be to hire a doctor. Resting should be a solution for when illness has just begun, not for this stage.

Will have to read about medicine in the Renaissance.

If he's going to die for sure, you can send him to rest and enjoy what is remaining of his life in the countryside.
You could also add the event of the old painter who want to retire and live the last years of life relaxing :D (maybe this is already present in the game, I don't know)

With a chance that the trip might aggravate the illness and kill him faster?

Yeah.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »

Hey everyone, sorry I was away for a while. I was busy with LD and then with life.

Here's some progress: the style desks are in, I called the left one "Still Life Table" and the right one "Vanitas Table". Because that's what they are, I guess.

Still gotta do the funeral stuff. I think I should finish up the whole death system so I can move on to the new style mechanics.

I really like the hat idea. I think you should be able to change your clothes. Maybe have a few clothing styles to choose from that you can buy with in-game money. Just offers more customization. There should already be clothes on the painter when you get the painter, but you can change it if you want to. You could have your painter wearing fancy clothes or other clothing styles.

Reposting this because it wasn't replied to.

Thanks for reposting that, I had seen it but hadn't fully read it. The idea of starting out with poor clothes and wearing fancier ones when you get richer sounds nice.

Hell, I do not read for a couple of days and then tons of messages appear :D
Anyway, I like you consider what we say, so I leave some comments

I think illness should happen. You can cure the man with rest (common illness) for a certain period of time.
For sever illness you can hire a medic, it takes more time.
Really rarely, he can die for some illness, maybe in contemporary with a pandemic (eg: black death).

Indeed it is frustrating for the player, and for this reason there should be a compensation of some sort (money or skill gain for the new oldest\better painter in the guild)

Or, you can put an option to remove illness, so there will be more challenge for who wants it, and a smoother gameplay for who wants it easier.

Thanks for your comments. Different degrees of illness seems like the way to go.

Yeah, I think having multiple ways of dealing with illnesses is nice. Also, plague doctors look way too cool not to include them, they're the ones with the beak masks. I'll make a doctor sprite later. Not sure how the player would call one, or if they will come randomly.

nice idea.
Or you can be so lucky to discover them from youth?

The faster you are to achieve the requirements, the younger you get them. Maybe.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: August 29, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »

Artists changing style.

They're changing kinda fast, it's just for testing. Should take 10x as long in the game.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: August 30, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »

Funeral mockup.

Please let me know if you have feedback before I start implementing it!

Popular Drifter
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2014, 02:21:29 PM »

I'm loving the funeral. I'd love to see someone crying during the funeral. I guess just animating hands on face with shoulders bobbing maybe?

Keep it up!!  Smiley
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 30, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »

The casket is not too easy to notice. Looks like a bed. Maybe putting it sideways with a picture of the artist on the side would be nice?

So, if you'd like to implement the passing of the colleagues to say goodbye it would be easier?

Yeah.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: August 31, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »

The casket is not too easy to notice. Looks like a bed. Maybe putting it sideways with a picture of the artist on the side would be nice?

So, if you'd like to implement the passing of the colleagues to say goodbye it would be easier?

+1

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »

Looks lovely with the light through the windows. Maybe the light should stop at the windows. The light at the furthest window looks a bit weird going above the window.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: September 07, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »

I'm loving the funeral. I'd love to see someone crying during the funeral. I guess just animating hands on face with shoulders bobbing maybe?

Keep it up!!  Smiley

This is a cool idea, I'll see what I can do!

A painting of the deceased is a cool idea too, but it might already be overcrowded.

Looks lovely with the light through the windows. Maybe the light should stop at the windows. The light at the furthest window looks a bit weird going above the window.

Thanks, tried to fix it.

This is what a funeral for a bad artist looks like:

And a great artist:

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:51 AM »

The light shining out of the windows look really cool!
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »

Looks very nice!
You could even consider that the bad artists funeral takes place in a small battered church.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

Here's the full message, showing artist rank and name, cause of death and the number of people who attended the funeral:

I'd like to move on to something else other than death for a bit. Maybe styles, then great painters.

The light shining out of the windows look really cool!

Thanks!

Looks very nice!
You could even consider that the bad artists funeral takes place in a small battered church.

Yup, I'll do some church variations if there is time. Thank you.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: September 09, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »

Adding another mechanic with its own UI button. The button displays which style is currently 'popular', and you get a bonus for painting in that style.

Clicking the button opens a dialog window that shows the scale of styles from lighter to darker (Cangiante to Tenebrism) and a marker indicates where the current taste lies in this scale.

Here, the popular taste is between Cangiante and Sfumato. It rounds to Cangiante.

I think I need to add the style of Quattrocento since I pushed back the date of the beginning of the game to 1420. It would go between Cangiante and Sfumato in my scale of styles.

I'm still not sure how I'm gonna handle the creation of the Baroque style in the 1600s. Maybe making styles "unlockable" is a way to deal with it. But it's a bit of work, especially with the current non-dynamic style system.

Edit: the marker between styles is a bit confusing. I will change it to a dynamic icon that sits under the current style (thanks Dodo) and indicates which way and at what intensity it is trending towards. It will just be arrows like > >> >>>.

Edit 2: I could try putting the word "trend" before the style name so there is a word associated with this mechanic. I could also call it "style of the decade" and have it change every 10 years, which sounds reasonable but must be playtested.

Great Artists I'd really like to include in the game:
- Botticelli
- Leonardo
- Michelangelo
- Raphael
- Artemisia
- Caravaggio
- Sofonisba

Possibly also:
- Tintoretto
- Titian
- Veronese
- Tintoretto
- El Greco
- Lavinia
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:58:11 PM by AD1337 » Logged

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »

This setting intrigues me greatly, and I like management sims. Followed!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »

Trend implemented!

It's going really fast here because I was testing, I think I'll make it change yearly.

This setting intrigues me greatly, and I like management sims. Followed!

Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic