Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:18:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHere come the Crayon Physics clones
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Here come the Crayon Physics clones  (Read 16973 times)
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:23:31 PM »

Magic Pen

Probably gonna be the latest thing since all those tower defense clones.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:31:23 PM »

Marker World

Then there's Pocket Physics for the DS but that's an entirely different platform Tongue

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »

Shocked Cry Angry
This is a tragedy vitamin.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »

Marker World

Then there's Pocket Physics for the DS but that's an entirely different platform Tongue

Quote from: GGE Site
The game features unprecedented environment interaction and real-world physics.

Unprecedented my ass.  By definition a clone is precedented.

And wasn't that made by that Sphax fellow who stole the Construct pixel shader demo and called it his own too?

Edit:  My mistake, he's making PhysicsDraw  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:21:12 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:46 AM »

oh man, level 3 of magic pen is the crayon physics level 3, this guy is shameless, not only he copied the game concept, but also some of the levels.

Hey dude, changing a star to a flag will not save you, lame rippoffer!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Eden
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:06 AM »

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, i guess.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, i guess.

Especially when you're earning money in the process.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 03:59:50 AM by moshboy » Logged

Eden
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:51:26 AM »

ha, yeah. sadly marker world seems a blatant ripoff Sad
angrygeometry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:03:36 AM »

i saw my friend playing a game called sketch it or something.

it was a blatent rip off that didn't work.

poor petri Sad

the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »

I would call for some copyright infringement if I was him.

up down left right upper cut.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »

At least Pocket Physics is highly different to the other mentioned games in one "little" aspect: The developer actually says that Crayon Physics is the clear inspiration. And he actually does something new, as well, making it portable and basically making a totally different game out of it, only copying the crayon-style.
But the rest.. meh. It's obvious how there are certain "trends" in gaming. Like when Super Mario Galaxy was announced there were suddenly quite some games featuring "circular physics" (or whatever they are called). I think that's pretty fine, I'd say that's the way innovation/evolution on the larger scale works. But simply cloning something (without giving any friggin credit), that's definitely a wholly different story.

Quite surely, though, Crayon Physics Deluxe is going to easily best all of those copies, anyway. Let's see them rip off that Wink

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »

Thank god that no one can hold the copyright for a gameplay idea! There would be only one Jump'n'run, 1st person shooter, rpg (franchise/developer). That would be horrible. There would be only a handful of monopolists cranking out iterations of the same shitty games (Now that's sounds a bit like mainstream gaming, but it would definitely worse than it is now because there would be no competition and most importantly no indies).

I don't really approve of blatant clones either but I imagine that Petri himself sees this with rather calmly. Everyone knows who pioneered this sort of game, he won the IGF, he gets plenty of coverage; there is no harm in those clones. And a little competition has never done any harm. If anything this will make Crayon Physics Deluxe even better.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »

Yeah, these are pretty shameless clones, but I doubt they'll hurt Petri or Crayon Physics very much. Wink
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 01:50:41 AM »

According to Petri's agent there's at least some sort courtesy among publishers.
They prefer the original to copies.

Eden
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 02:08:24 AM »

Maybe a really good game will come out of this, like Immortal Defense came out of the sea of tower defense clones.
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 03:21:11 AM »

Thank god that no one can hold the copyright for a gameplay idea! There would be only one Jump'n'run, 1st person shooter, rpg (franchise/developer). That would be horrible. There would be only a handful of monopolists cranking out iterations of the same shitty games (Now that's sounds a bit like mainstream gaming, but it would definitely worse than it is now because there would be no competition and most importantly no indies).

I agree with Tinarg. You can't copyright gameplay, but unfortunately you can patent gameplay mechanisms and that really sucks. There are already some gameplay patents and they're hurting game development (loading screen games are patented, the arrow pointing to the next goal in driving games is patented...). You can read more about it here.

It kinda always stings a little when I see another clone of the game. Mostly because of the lack of innovation. There are lots of stuff that could be explored with the basic interface / mechanism, but no one has gone there yet. Which is sad Sad

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the clones. Even in the ultimate worst case scenario, which is that someone publishes a greatly superior clone to Crayon Physics Deluxe and because of that I can't sell a single copy of the game, and when I release my game people write on the forums: "this is just a clone of that game"... Even then I haven't really lost anything. The development of the game has actually been a profitable business; Thanks to the 20 000$ from IGF. It's not like I can lose any money on this Wink I'm not making games to make money. I just have to make money to be able to make games. *)

*) I ripped that quote from some youtube video about bboying...

Petri Purho
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »

http://www.mazapan.se/games/CrayonRunner.php

Need I say more?

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

Exactly what did I just play? Shocked
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »

And then there's Cryon Physics (yes "Crayon Physics" without the a). This one has to be the least creative rip-off. It even uses sprites ripped directly from Petri's game.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=357333
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »

And then there's Cryon Physics (yes "Crayon Physics" without the a)....

I can't understand why you would want to do such a thing? Its one thing to do it just by oneself to learn, but this guy actually wants feedback! What's he expecting?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic