Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:19:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHere come the Crayon Physics clones
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Here come the Crayon Physics clones  (Read 16972 times)
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2008, 01:29:14 AM »

Straight clones always baffle me.  I can't imagine why someone would voluntarily put themselves through all the pain of building a game, but then deny themselves the joy of getting to be creative.

It's called 'making a quick buck'.. especially with how easy it is to get flash sponsorship nowadays.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2008, 02:40:12 AM »

Like when Super Mario Galaxy was announced there were suddenly quite some games featuring "circular physics" (or whatever they are called).

To be fair, they did pretty much just rip that whole concept straight out of Sonic Adventure 2.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2008, 01:10:05 AM »

Like when Super Mario Galaxy was announced there were suddenly quite some games featuring "circular physics" (or whatever they are called).

To be fair, they did pretty much just rip that whole concept straight out of Sonic Adventure 2.

what?

(they ripped it off from the mario 64 US box art.)

increpare
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2008, 01:42:52 AM »

Or maybe even Sonic 1 and Knuckles Wink
Zaphos
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2008, 01:47:22 AM »

Or sometimes

Wait, my bad, I seemed to have mistyped "Ratchet and Clank"
atomic1fire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »

You can take an idea and still be original
as long as you do something innovative with it.
Physics draw is pretty fun but its not a puzzle game like crayon physics was
I suppose you could make puzzles out of it but machines and stuff are cooler
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 02:02:33 AM »

Even though I love Miyamoto, he was a real dick about who came up with the idea for spherical gravity. The Ratchet and Clank guys just said, very nicely, that they were stoked to see Miyamoto taking their idea to a whole new level. In response, Miyamoto claimed to have never even heard of Ratchet and Clank ("Is that a PC game?") and said he had had the idea for spherical gravity before the N64 came out.

Zaphos
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »

Even though I love Miyamoto, he was a real dick about who came up with the idea for spherical gravity. The Ratchet and Clank guys just said, very nicely, that they were stoked to see Miyamoto taking their idea to a whole new level. In response, Miyamoto claimed to have never even heard of Ratchet and Clank ("Is that a PC game?") and said he had had the idea for spherical gravity before the N64 came out.
Well the idea does show up in Yoshi's Island, so Miyamoto was probably just speaking honestly.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 03:05:09 AM »

This baffles me.

Surely the concept of spherical gravity is not a new one.  I mean, at least not since some bright chap figured out that the Earth isn't actually a flat plane.  Unless they were employing that guy at the time, how can any development studio maintain a straight face when claiming to have invented this idea?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »

This baffles me.

Surely the concept of spherical gravity is not a new one.  I mean, at least not since some bright chap figured out that the Earth isn't actually a flat plane.  Unless they were employing that guy at the time, how can any development studio maintain a straight face when claiming to have invented this idea?
Obviously, we're talking about spherical gravity in a videogame.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:46 AM »

This baffles me.

Obviously, we're talking about spherical gravity in a videogame.

Obviously.  My point was that gravity actually does go in more than one direction in the real world.  We're all familiar with this, and it's not in any way a new idea, so I don't see how someone can claim that the idea is "theirs". 

But if you insist, then circular gravity was one of the defining gameplay elements in the original Spacewar!, which was written in 1961.  And I'm sure that Steve Russell, Martin Graetz, and Wayne Wiitanen would say that they were very pleased to see their idea being taken to an entirely new level, more than forty years later.

So forgive me if I don't take this scandal very seriously.   Tongue
Corpus
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »

Idea: Maybe Miyamoto hadn't heard of Ratchet & Clank.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »

Idea: Maybe Miyamoto hadn't heard of Ratchet & Clank.
Stop taking Zaphos's ideas! Angry

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2008, 05:54:12 AM »

This is ridiculous! Everyone knows it was Newton who came up with this. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic